Xbox 360 gets keyboard controller

A necessary peripheral if they truly wanted to expand the community to the 'texting' generation. $20 would be ideal but given their recent gouging i see 30 or $34.99 being the price...

What I started to wonder is if this controller/kb combo could be a viable interface for a vista machine? Now that MS has fully integrated this controller support into Vista, i think its actually possible some people could use this KB/360 controller as their primary interface for a vista machine. Given that a lot of people only do a few things on their PC outside of mail, internet, games, and chat, i could see this new controller fitting right in. Possibly being able to dedicate some of the controller buttons as quick links to email, internet, games,etc.

Maybe not for the desk computer but certainly for the media center pc and for the times you feel like leaning back in your chair. :)

Very cool little attachment for the controller.

I like it. As some said, although you can use USB keyboards already on 360, I really do not need a full size keyboard (or USB extension cable) in my living room. This little attachment will either be always at my fingertips or tucked away (wireless) next to me.

More here: http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/04/09/543811.aspx

452525729_cee22f7cd9_m.jpg

452527581_885cce5cb7_s.jpg

I like it!

I like the look but i think a big part of its acceptance is how much it impacts the great feel of the controller as a game controller, hopefully its minimal.

A minor gripe, how long does it take to design and manufacture these things to the point where they miss the launch of the corresponding service? Theyve known about this idea for what is apparently a few years and they still fall short of launching with the spring update by several months... tsk tsk

I wonder if this is the advanced "FPS" controller we've been hearing about or theres still something else brewing.

I wonder if this is the advanced "FPS" controller we've been hearing about or theres still something else brewing.
The keyboard shows the possibilities of adding maybe a touch-pad or trackerballs there. Lots of opportunities for groovy stuff and controller expandability looks like a great concept.

BTW, while on the subject of controllers, after hearing lots of people praising the position of the left analogue on XB's controller layout because it's a more natural position for the thumb, the few XB360 games I've played have had the right thumb spending more time on the right stick than the buttons! I prefer the symmetry of DS2. Perhaps someone should come up with a configurable pad where the stick and buttons can be relocated?

Its a nice controller addition but not something I would personally be interested in. I guess I missed out on the whole texting generation due to my ancient age of 26 :cry: . Im much more comfortable with a keyboard be it usb or wireless. The add on looks as if it would be hard to use due to key size and its location on the controller (obviously something those more familiar with texting would be more comfortable with).

I would like to see keyboard and mouse support with the console especially considering the appeal the console has to typical pc genres. Although I could see where this could cause a rift in the online gaming MS is known for.

It should become the standard controller too, to combat the Wii in accessibility. Ultimately for supreme control, something like this is needed...

Organ.jpg

Very cool, esp. now that MSN will sync up messenger with live so chances are you might be doing some IM'ing while on the 360 and using a controller is obviously not logical.

And I rather see this than have a keyboard on the side since i tend to move around the room a fair bit when playing. Hopefully they cut back on the price gouging...

This thing will be brilliant for MMO games

Will it? I'm wondering how acceptable the actual texting will be. I can understand using the extra keys for control purposes above a standard controller (say, "F" brings up inventory or something), but how about the whole practice of using games like WOW as a virtual chat room? How will that type of thing fare?

Regardless, the thing just just screams neat-I-want-it on a gut level. Shame about the likely price, of course.
By the way, I was told this morning that the keyboard will also ship with a new headset.

From Gamerscore blog. $Likely 50, possibly 59.99 price tag confirmed :( After all, it DOES include a headset now..

Back