Xbox 360 gets keyboard controller

infinity4

Veteran
GameSpot said:
While Microsoft's Xbox 360 Spring Update will integrate Windows Live Messenger into the system's dashboard for cross-platform chatting, the machine's text-window interface for standard control pads makes lengthy conversations a chore.

To ease the task of typing in messages without the aid of a full-sized keyboard, Microsoft today announced a new text input device for the Xbox 360 controller. The attachment snaps onto the bottom of the controller through the headset jack and features a QWERTY-style key layout with 47 keys.

The keyboard attachment has not been priced or even named yet, but it is expected to see release this summer.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6168676.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

it would make it more comfortable than to change keyboard to controller all the time

text_screen001.jpg

text_screen002.jpg

Definitely mock-ups, but I wonder about that replacement headphone jack, would require a new headset.

Tommy McClain

Obviously a computer rendering vbut disregarding that I have to say that thing looks awesome.

I wonder tho where the accented characters are for eurolanders.

Also I doubt they will make a finalversion where the analog headset doesn't fit onto it.
Peace.

what happened to the keyboard attachment that was supposed to plug in to the headset port

I guess they figured they could charge more for a controller with a keyboard built on, or maybe they will have both

Wow, my second greatest Xbox hardware wish comes true. Now only if they started to install 512 MB of internal flash memory in the Core...

i doubt itll ever see the light of day
im guessing the thing would be very uncomfortable to hold (ppl complained about the xbox1 controller being to big, + this is larger).
a far superior method is just having a standalone keyboard

i doubt itll ever see the light of day
im guessing the thing would be very uncomfortable to hold (ppl complained about the xbox1 controller being to big, + this is larger).
a far superior method is just having a standalone keyboard

This is not larger. It is not a new controller, it instead fits on current ones. The only possible issue is people not being to easily fit their fingers around the handles. They should allow stand alone keyboards and offer this too.

Looks like a nice design, but the buttons must be tiny. It's no substitue for allowing a proper keyboard IMO.

Looks like a nice design, but the buttons must be tiny. It's no substitue for allowing a proper keyboard IMO.
No more so than keypads on a cell phone are a substitute for a proper keyboard, which seem to be quite usable for a limited role.

Remember, too, that the Xbox 360 will work with most USB keyboards, so there is no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Interestingly I'd always thought that keyboard use was prevented from within games, however I've just looked at the XNA MSDN docs and it states that a keyboard is a viable device for developers to use.

Anyway, if this [thread content] is true I want a web browser next...

I just tried my USB keyboard (Logitech Elite), it works fine on the Dashboard. Cursor keys navigate, Keyboard key Enter is mapped to Gamepad button A, ESC to B, etc. Typing works on the virtual keyboard, of course. Doesn't work in games though.

IMHO, a full sized or mini wireless keyboard would be better. Chances are, I'm not going to be typing and moving at the same time, so if I need to text chat, I'll set down the controller and pick up the keyboard for a sec. In game? voice is way way better, especially in action games. Text chat makes sense for RPGs.

Those tiny phone keyboards are majorly annoying. These pictures look like a T-Mobile sidekick had sex with an XB360 controller and produced offspring.

IMHO, a full sized or mini wireless keyboard would be better. Chances are, I'm not going to be typing and moving at the same time, so if I need to text chat, I'll set down the controller and pick up the keyboard for a sec. In game? voice is way way better, especially in action games. Text chat makes sense for RPGs.

Those tiny phone keyboards are majorly annoying. These pictures look like a T-Mobile sidekick had sex with an XB360 controller and produced offspring.
There is nothing stopping you from using a full sized or mini USB keyboard today. This would be for those simple scenarios such as a quick chat message or entering a user name where a full sized keyboard is overkill, which is likely the majority of the time on a console.

text_screen001.jpg

text_screen002.jpg

Definitely mock-ups, but I wonder about that replacement headphone jack, would require a new headset.

Tommy McClain
Very nice idea. Great for chatting and online games. But I wonder if it would be confortable if it indeed ends up looking like that

Back when the news that Vanguard was coming to the 360 there was news of a simple TID add-on. See post here...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=394300&postcount=10

In my post, I linked MS patent applications that provided design schematics. This newer design is slightly diffferent, but I suspect it should still provide enough rooms for your hands to hold the handles like the older patent design. I'm sure those people with cell-phones who constantly IM with their little keypads, will have no trouble using this one. I think if MS releases it that they will do it since it coincides with their living room strategy for the 360. They'll probably release this instead of a PC keyboard because almost all USB keyboards are compatible anyway. However, they won't offer the portability that this add-on will offer and so they can sell it a premium over regular USB keyboards.

One thing I noticed was the green/white circle button, the convo balloon button, and the orange/white square button. Are they some kind of send and receive buttons?

Tommy McClain

One thing I noticed was the green/white circle button, the convo balloon button, and the orange/white square button. Are they some kind of send and receive buttons?
I'm guessing those are function shift buttons, since the color maps up with the alternate key colors (green and orange; different shapes for accessibility reasons). As for the chat bubble, I'm thinking that's an instant access button to some kind of chat window.

The coloured button on those images above just seem to be a mechanism for accessing the symbols on each of the keys (i.e. like a shift key). Notice that most of the character buttons on those images have a green symbol on one side and an orange on the other. The balloon one look like it would be a quick access to the chat blade. The Start button already acts as a send button.

Back