Do you consider Wii a next gen console?

Do you consider Wii a next gen console

• Yes

Votes: 56 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 93 62.4%

• Total voters
I voted yes.

Like with cars or videocards, not every console tries to be a Ferrari. Most people rather have the economic but fun variant.

I've said this time and time again. Many of these people have already bought an expensive HDTV and a PS3 to play games they expect to come to their system of choice. Mentioning the fact that these games may be cancelled for the PS3 and moved exclusively to a console that does not support HD is too much for them to bear. Trust me, you dont want to be in their shoes right now, you should pity them.

There is no point arguing. Just sit back and watch the future "meltdowns". :LOL: EDIT I'm still in shock that this thread is still open.

Most big titles are PS3, 360 and PC - companies are maximizing re-use of assets and profit this way. Good luck getting good games ported from these platforms to the Wii (Oblivion Wii anyone?). Each console will have good 1st/2nd party games to differentiate them, but the Wii will never get good next gen cross platform games. Enjoy games like Far Cry, ported from last gen and made worse by bad poor controls. The Wii will live or die depending on Nintendo made games IMO.

The Wii will live or die depending on Nintendo made games IMO.
Like Super Mario Galaxy: very nice looking, and lots of fun to play for everyone. Which is the whole point.

If you want "realistic" FPS like GoW, buy a 360. And if you want the best hardware with the most possibilities, buy a PS3. If you simply want to have fun for a few bucks, buy a Wii.

And that's what consoles are for.

So what's the number?
The point of contention seems to be around multiplication of power over a predecessor.One camp feels that the Wii's multiplication of power is lacking. The other side doesn't see that as the issue as the Wii is a multiple of power more than the GC anyway.
So let's deal with the elephant in the room. What's the number. 2x?...3?...3.5?.10X?...

So what's the number?
The point of contention seems to be around multiplication of power over a predecessor.One camp feels that the Wii's multiplication of power is lacking. The other side doesn't see that as the issue as the Wii is a multiple of power more than the GC anyway.
So let's deal with the elephant in the room. What's the number. 2x?...3?...3.5?.10X?...
I would ask: is it more fun than it's predecessor? And do people want it more?

Like with cars: doubling the cubic inches and horse power doesn't mean that it will be an instant (or ever) success.

I thought it was pretty clear that it isn't about a multiple applied to the previous gen that must be determined to define next gen.

I think Next Gen should simply mean, the possibility for games to advance. I know this isn't going to be a popular idea but the Wii, even if 2x more powerful than the Xbox, likely does not have the headroom to really offer much more than what was shown in the previous generations games. The scope and limitations will be closely related to that of the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

The main point is that the Xbox360 and PS3 should be considered next gen because they give artists and designers the ability to do something we haven't seen before. Of course, after that sentence people will jump in saying that this is true with the Wii as well, and that is true but only to a sense. The artists and designers will still be restricted to the same general constraints they were confined to before, so I don't think we'll see a huge leap in gaming in this respect.

The controller is different, this much is true. But like I've said before, motion based peripherals have been around for ages. With Wii's standard implementation and success, we're likely going to see stuff done with the technology we haven't seen before, so in that respect it is good.

But ultimately, when one looks at the games, it'll likely be more of the same. There's no definitive number to define this leap to next generation, but once a certain threshold is reached (where the threshold really need not be quantified), one can reasonably attain the ability to design a game that was never possible before.

Let's suppose the Wii got a title that was truly fantastic.....the point is, a developer who isn't tied to Nintendo could realistically convert this title up onto the 360 and PS3 with an add on peripheral as seen with Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Heroes and the experience would be the same. You can't do that the other way around. A game built up on the PS3 or 360 and converted to the Wii will lose something.

That's why I cannot consider it next gen. It's not meant to say that I don't think it's a wonderful idea for a console (and very smart business-wise), but for the reasons I've mentioned above, I can't define it as a "next gen" (current gen realistically) system.

What makes a game fantastic? Really realistically looking graphics? In that case, you can scrap all Wii games up front. And most others as well.

Not that any game has realistic graphics, by any definition.

What makes games "fun"?

I thought it was pretty clear that it isn't about a multiple applied to the previous gen that must be determined to define next gen.

I think Next Gen should simply mean, the possibility for games to advance. I know this isn't going to be a popular idea but the Wii, even if 2x more powerful than the Xbox, likely does not have the headroom to really offer much more than what was shown in the previous generations games. The scope and limitations will be closely related to that of the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

The main point is that the Xbox360 and PS3 should be considered next gen because they give artists and designers the ability to do something we haven't seen before. .

Like? I keep hearing that along with "next gen experience" and they are nice catch phrases but no one has qualified them yet. So far I have not seen it or felt it. Don't get me wrong I really like my PS3 and am more than happy with the games,but they're just souped up versions of last gen.....so far. They aren't fundamentally different in terms of gameplay or design than last gen or what the Wii is doing to a lesser degree. Higher polygon counts don't make a next gen experience IMO.
So that's why I ask what the magic arbitrary number or is this whole "next gen experience destined to live out there in the ether? 2x more powerful...3x...5x.?

It isn't simply about acheiving realistic graphics is something I should stress.

But lets suppose we have a game that has 400 enemies on screen at once.

With sufficiently added computational power, developers can attribute unique A.I. to each character and have them running at 30 fps and still maintain the ability to pull the gamer into the world they are trying to create.

Remember, its partly about trying to establish a suspension of disbelief. The part where graphics comes in is here.

There's probably no doubt that Wii could also have 400 models rendered but then how much would have to be sacrified to achieve what may be possible on the PS3 or X360? The suspension of disbelief would be compromised or threatened.

It's like Star Wars. When Star Wars came out, why was it such a phenomenon? The special effects mostly I'd say. People were able to believe that world because it looked real to them, and it seemed plausible in some sense.

That's a huge thing to try and achieve. I'm not trying to say what the PS3 or Xbox360 games will accomplish, i'm just saying what they have the potential to accomplish thanks to the added horsepower they have.

Immersion. Yes, definitely.

But, do you need realistic graphics to archieve that? How about Tetris?

No doubt about that. You can still have immersive games without having complex/realistic worlds.

The main point is that, yes, Tetris is an immersive and great game, but PS3 and X360 are fully capable of reproducing the feeling that tetris has to make it immersive.

However, a game on the PS3 or X360 that attains a level of immersion will likely not translate well if you scale it down onto a less sophisticated model.

Scaling up is not the problem, its when you have to scale down that you can lose something that makes a game special.

I got a Wii on launch day. I'm not sure why anymore, considering the lineup currently is terrible. I know I was hoping for the machine to usher in a new level of game immersion thru its new controller. Unfortunately, this blinded me to its utter lack of more than like 2 quality titles. And that its future lineup is almost totally uninteresting to me! Heh.

I also am 100% behind the idea that Nintendo built the machine to look like Ipod hardware. That didn't really occur to me immediately. Hey, 360 is actually in the same boat IMO. Clean, white "solid" feel nonsense. But I think this new style is popular with a lot of people. And companies want on that bandwagon. Personally I would've preferred the Wiimote not look like some sort of medical instrument, but hey, whatever I guess.

Do I think it's a new console and not a rehash? Yes. But, I do think Nintendo went a bit too cheap on the hardware. I think they should've skipped the ubiquitous backwards compatibility and made better use of their transistor budget than supporting ancient Cube tech.

Are its sales a fad? Might me. The same sheep who drop to their knees for Apple music players might be out in force. I dunno. I don't think the machine deserves the sales it's getting, and I'm not sure the sales numbers are going to push the industry in a direction I'd prefer to see it go in.

I find it rather ridiculous that the publishers and devs out there didn't see the opportunities for new money-making ideas that the Wii brings. I did lol. We'll have to see if they just dump ports on it like during the Cube days.

imo, no it isnt next gen. its an overclocked gc with gesture recognition. if wii is classified as a next gen console, then by the same logic you would have to classify a 9800 pro as next gen compared to a 9700 pro.

so if in 6 years, sony releases a ps3 with an overclocked rsx and a built in microphone it will be a next gen console?

Yup cause it will be apart of the 8th generation of consoles. Did anyone even read the link? From what I can tell it is pretty self explanatory. It should really be called by the numerical generation. That way no one gets confused. Next generation is the 8th gen, i.e. it isn't out yet.

Back