New Umbrella Chronicles Shots, Trailer

Good to see the character models in such top quality. :)

...although I'm getting tired of the...tired look in the eyes. :p Is this a remake of the first game? What does the article discuss :?:

Looks like they added light bloom to the RE4 engine:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070407/umbrella.htm

I think it looks OK, but the game desperately needs FSAA, and the dithering is pretty bad, too. I guess Wii doesn't have 32-bit color. Too bad.

There's a trailer here that shows that the X-Treme bloom isn't always on, but appears to happen during lightning flashes:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=15741

I think it's probably best to wait until a game such as this is designed for the Wii from the ground up, rather than ported, to make any comments on what the Wii can or cannot do. I don't think we've seen a graphical tour de force that wasn't originally designed for another system yet.

Good to see the character models in such top quality. :)

...although I'm getting tired of the...tired look in the eyes. :p Is this a remake of the first game? What does the article discuss :?:

From what I know it's not a remake of any of the previous games. It's more like a compilation of side events from the previous games up to RE4 in story/game form. Also the game is not a 1st person rail shooter. It uses the RE4 engine but allows switching between 1st person and 3rd person. If it indeed turns out to be a rail shooter, I'd be very disappointed.

From what I know it's not a remake of any of the previous games. It's more like a compilation of side events from the previous games up to RE4 in story/game form. Also the game is not a 1st person rail shooter. It uses the RE4 engine but allows switching between 1st person and 3rd person. If it indeed turns out to be a rail shooter, I'd be very disappointed.

Oh my I hope not.

This is the only game I am interested greatly on the Wii

The game is a 1st-person rail shooter. Do you guys not follow the news at all?
Capcom press release said:
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is a brand new game in the Resident Evil franchise, with familiar locales from the entire series, created specifically for the unique characteristics of the Wii hardware. This action/shooter hybrid reveals the back story behind the fall of the Umbrella Corporation by exploring locations from Resident Evil 0, 1, 2 and 3 as well as new never-before-seen locations, such as Umbrella’s stronghold. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles combines first-person, light-gun style combat with interactive pathways, multiple weapons and new enemies to create an entirely new Resident Evil experience that could only be delivered on the Wii.
So it's Resident Time Crisis.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/resident-e...mer-umbrella-chronicles-after-that-250473.php

Actually it seems to be some sort of rail shooter but it also seems that it will have some degree of control with multiple paths and you can also control the camera (this should make you able to find some secrets and such), but not here you go (ie, a fixed path).

If they give a lot of re playability to the game then it should be really interesting, yet it still a pity that they don't make (soon) a new RE4 like game.

(edit, fsp had been faster and with more info)

I think it's probably best to wait until a game such as this is designed for the Wii from the ground up, rather than ported, to make any comments on what the Wii can or cannot do. I don't think we've seen a graphical tour de force that wasn't originally designed for another system yet.

I wonder if there is really a need of getting a brand new engine, once (so it seems) the feature set of both consoles is basically the same.

Anyway it it doesn't seems to have many upgrades from RE4 in terms of fx, just better lighting and higher quality models/rez.

There is a clear step above of what we saw in RE4, but I still think it is not enought.

Last edited by a moderator:
That awful dithering is gone in these ones.
The images are (very) slighty resized on Gamespot, nevertheless the dithering moire effects are still visible.

Anyway, am I the only one who would have had prefered a "remake" of Code Veronica instead of this onrail shooter?
And when I say "remake", I mean that I would gladly accept more or less the same graphics, just using the RE4 camera and control schemes. They'd have to change maps accordingly to accomodate the new camera system, but it would have a way better RE experience than what a on rail shooter could be...

With that said, I'm a fan of the HoTD series (and lightgun games in general), so, I wouldn't complain much if they deliver a great product in the end.

I can't remember how long its been since I played Code Veronica (FF:Mark of the Wolves destroyed my controllers) on my good old Dreamcast.........but that game did indeed rock.

I think the game that would receive the most benefit from RE4 type controls and camera would be RE3 though. You always have to be quick and fast to be able to handle the Nemesis which could pop out at any time.

The game is a 1st-person rail shooter. Do you guys not follow the news at all?
...and that could make it rock. ;)

Up until RE4, I had rather soured on the old RE's, and enjoyed Dead Aim probably the most of the bunch. (Outbreak I thought was interesting, but not very well implemented.)

Though I'd rather it not be on rails, of course. Time Crisis is fun to a certain point, but it'd be better if they used the Wii as an innate extension of Dead Aim. Free-form first-person lightgun-type action with more of the survival elements built in would be good.

Is it confirmed it will be on rails? If thats the case I think it will remove the scare factor since all you ll have to do is to shoot and kick your enemies.

I love the graphics though I must say!!

Those screens look like they're taken off of a TV. Instead of horizontal lines, you get vertical lines going down the middle.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/099/933020_20070410_screen009.jpg
Not taken off a TV. Not unless they got the camera aligned perfectly so the vertical is exactly vertical (no horizontal drift on those lines at all!) and the lines match exactly one pixel in width.

Looks weird, but my gues is a fault in the blending engine that's not alternating lines when dithering in this instance. That'd be fixed, I expect, in the final release.

New trailer here:

http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-wii/2251-Resident_Evil_Umbrella_Chronicles-video-3.html

It really is looking pretty nice. Looks to me to be a cut above what we saw on Gamecube. This may be the first Wii game to really start taking advantage of what additional power is actually there.

I like the part where you can shoot the paintings off the wall. Looks like theirs going to be an increased amount of collision/physics from previous RE games (at the expense of making it on-rails? Who knows...Might need to see how this game plays first before anything).

Back