Ratchet and Clank PS3 - High Resolution screens

What developers sometimes do (I've never bothered myself, but I've seen it in other projects) is put a screenshot function into the pause menu (or on a button/key press or whatever) that doesn't just save the current screen out, but actually renders it at a higher resolution. You could even do that on PS2, you just have to make sure your scene is static and then you render 4 frames out which will be the 4 corners of a larger image (or 4 tall strips, or however else you feel like doing it).

You get an "in game" image out, with the real lighting, models, textures and so forth, but either at hi-res or with much nicer AA. That can be pretty useful for PR shots and althought it might be termed cheating, sometimes a lack of AA can look a lot worse on a page than on a moving image so I guess they're just trying to compensate. Personally I'd rather see the real image, but I understand the motivation...

I have no idea if Insomniac do that or not - but it would mean they're being entirely honest when they say it's a relatively untouched image from the game... it just would quite be what you'd get in motion while playing it.

You get an "in game" image out, with the real lighting, models, textures and so forth, but either at hi-res or with much nicer AA. That can be pretty useful for PR shots and althought it might be termed cheating, sometimes a lack of AA can look a lot worse on a page.
That's exactly it. If your image is going to be printed as a centrefold in a glossy mag, you don't want people able to measure the pixels! So the screens are rendered at print resolution, and then reduced for that 'look, we've got just as much anti-aliasing as every other screenshot you've seen' effect. As long as we have downloadable demos to try, and gaming site true captures, we'll have enough real examples. Just have to ignore the IQ of early shots until real reviews appear.

That can be pretty useful for PR shots and althought it might be termed cheating, sometimes a lack of AA can look a lot worse on a page than on a moving image so I guess they're just trying to compensate. Personally I'd rather see the real image, but I understand the motivation...
This is certainly true, and I usually ASSUME it's the AA, but of course to many of us it's irritating because we want to see what the game DOES use. :p Not that it'd really stop us anyway, because the game looks droolworthy enough to overcome other "flaws," and Insomniac delivers quality games at basically every turn, so... Hehe.

I don't really accuse Insomniac of overt bull, but I want to know...! Ya know?

I guess anyone who wants to extrapolate can always use published Resistance screens vs. direct in-game shows and see what one might expect.

I'll be getting it anyway. ;) (At least, whenever I decide to join the next gen.)

The new ingame shots look....just as good. How are they pulling this off!!!??

I wonder how you can say that something looks just as good, based on a downsized tiny movie from the net. You cannot tell anything about amount of AA etc.

R&C does look super good tho

I wonder how you can say that something looks just as good, based on a downsized tiny movie from the net. You cannot tell anything about amount of AA etc.

R&C does look super good tho

Tiny movie? I'm watching it in HD. Whether the AA is worse or not, they certainly cover it up well.

The new ingame shots look....just as good. How are they pulling this off!!!??

I want to know this too. How are they getting that Image Quality?
It's incredible - it really doesn't look like a "game" with the usual flaws.

Has anyone seen this in person?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was expecting a huge jump between "talented" devs first and second PS3 games as they would've learned so much from the first game.

I cannot wait to see what Naughty Dog do with their second game :LOL:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was expecting a huge jump between "talented" devs first and second PS3 games as they would've learned so much from the first game.

Textures, shaders, onscreen activity, polygon count, animation, no loading....seems like a huge jump to me :???:

Textures, shaders, onscreen activity, polygon count, animation, no loading....seems like a huge jump to me :???:
Erm, isn't that what I said.

I expect devs like Insomniac to make massive strides with each passing game, and they are doing so by the looks of it.

Erm, isn't that what I said.

I expect devs like Insomniac to make massive strides with each passing game, and they are doing so by the looks of it.

It's just that without vocal inflection (Thanks to the web) your statement can be taken either sarcastically, or assuredly - I took it assuredly, the other guy thought you were being sarcastic. As in...

"Awww - I was expecting a huge leape from these hugely tallented developers."

or

"Why's everyone surprised - I was expecting a huge leap from these hugely tallented developers."

The last parts of the sentences are identicle - It's all in the delivery. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just that without vocal inflection (Thanks to the web) your statement can be taken either sarcastically, or assuredly - I took it assuredly, the other guy thought you were being sarcastic. As in...

"Awww - I was expecting a huge leape from these hugely tallented developers."

or

"Why's everyone surprised - I was expecting a huge leap from these hugely tallented developers."

The last parts of the sentences are identicle - It's all in the delivery. :)

I concur...I only understood his comment by looking at previous comments :)

I concur...I only understood his comment by looking at previous comments :)

Lol, yeh, that's the web for ya - It's times like these that I miss those old 3D web concepts with live speach. But on the bright side we've got emoticons! Woot! AND, honestly, if it weren't for them, I'd lose my mind and possibly die in the middle of late night techno-geek marathons. ;)

Edit - Oh yeh - I need to lay off the coffee before posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back