Ratchet and Clank PS3 - High Resolution screens

I think one of the guys involved with the Drake game from ND said that before, they had to have cartoony characters because the hardware couldn't support human characters well.

The shots look good but they don't quite have the impact of the Drake screens.

It's kind of like how Mario Sunshine didn't quite look as good as people expected. How much more can you do with a simple shape model with limited colors for clothes?

Wow those screens are really impressive!

I love the Art style!

Been a big fan of the series since it first came out!

Take a look at the Resistance screens for comparison. There might a tiny little bit of doctoring going on but the game basically looks like that so I expect a similar comparison with R&C.
http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/iFACE/rfom/widowhigh.jpg
http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/iFACE/rfom/reaperhigh.jpg
http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/iFACE/rfom/rfomhigh.jpg
http://www.insomniacgames.com/games/iFACE/rfom/manchesterhigh.jpg
Those are promo shots too! 1080p and with loads of AA. You need to compare those Insomniac screens to screencaptures at IGN and the like to see how the promo pics look better, and the sort of IQ decrease we'll very likely get with RnC

Those are promo shots too! 1080p and with loads of AA. You need to compare those Insomniac screens to screencaptures at IGN and the like to see how the promo pics look better, and the sort of IQ decrease we'll very likely get with RnC

I know they are clearly promo shots but I'm playing the game right now and it looks almost that good. I did say in my post that there was clearly doctoring. At no time was I trying to say that Resistance in fact looks exactly like that,but it looks pretty close.
My point was I expect that the same level of doctoring went on with the R&C shots but that like Resistance the final game will look close to as good as the screens.
We are actually on the same page,maybe I just didn't express that clearly.

I know they are clearly promo shots but I'm playing the game right now and it looks almost that good. I did say in my post that there was clearly doctoring. At no time was I trying to say that Resistance in fact looks exactly like that,but it looks pretty close.
My point was I expect that the same level of doctoring went on with the R&C shots but that like Resistance the final game will look close to as good as the screens.
Okay, but we're talking from a technical POV. Is RnC going to have IQ this high? No. Will it look good, to the point many people might not be able to notice, especially in motion? Probably. But as a technical discussion, the screenshots are not representative of the final game, which is important for those of us wanting to see how IQ develops this gen.

Save for the extreme level of AA in the promo shot, I would feel safe to say I actually think the game looks just as good and perhaps even a little bit better

(the promo shot is free of jaggies, but it also has a blurry look to it...which you don't really get in the actual game)

That's just my opinion though....

Okay, but we're talking from a technical POV. Is RnC going to have IQ this high? No. Will it look good, to the point many people might not be able to notice, especially in motion? Probably. But as a technical discussion, the screenshots are not representative of the final game, which is important for those of us wanting to see how IQ develops this gen.

Ok well then this is where I bow out of the discussion. Close enough is good enough for me. ;)

New screens, over at AVS, taken from Insomniac's forums. Very nice, if I do say so myself. Except for the grass, that is, and the ground textures. I want per-pixel ground-tesselization with a MS-Grasoilage bilinear filter (PPGT-MSGBF) in all next gen games. Especially first party ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save for the extreme level of AA in the promo shot, I would feel safe to say I actually think the game looks just as good and perhaps even a little bit better

(the promo shot is free of jaggies, but it also has a blurry look to it...which you don't really get in the actual game)

That's just my opinion though....
But then, after just having finished Resistance for the second time, maybe you do. The bloom effects are strong with this one. It's overdone IMO, but for some reason the median standard humans seem to think such shino-blurisms are nice to look at. Bleh.

I don't like the single-colored camouflage foliage. It looks much more natural in Resistance. More realistic nature stuff would befit the game well, even though the robot things are cartoonish. The forest planet in Ratchet&Clank 3 looks more realistic than cartoony, within the limits of the format, and it's very nice like that.

I find it shocking that the shots there are not supersampled, as proper bull-shots would be.

This thread is about Ratchet and Clank Future, keep on topic, folks.

And please leave the unecessary comparisons out of the thread, while we're at it. ;)

Back