Looking for an LCD that'll do HD 1080p and HDCP

Will this model do it?

Viewsonic 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Thanks...

There are a lot of 24" monitors that can physically display 1080p, but what is probably more important is whether or not they support 1:1 pixel mapping so you don't get stretching. Some of the 24" monitors support it better than others.

You may want to go look at the hardocp forums under the display section. There is a lot of discussion about various displays there.

Nite_Hawk

Actually I'm a bit confused about this whole subject.

I'm gonna read 1080i vs. 1080p HDTV: should you care?

The bottom line is that I'd like to purchase a 24" or 26" LCD monitor to be used with my laptop/desktop and an HD-DVD player, with the highest possible quality permitted.

If you get the Dell make sure that you get a Rev A04. Also, it doesn't have hdmi, but otherwise is a nice display. (I've got one sitting in front of me here at work.)

I've also heard good things about the LG L246WP-BN
regarding 1080p over HDMI and using 1:1 pixel mapping, though it doesn't seen to scale non 16x10 resolutions (either it stretches them to the full display size or you get 1:1). That could be annoying for 720p content.

Nite_Hawk

Sharp has a 37" Full HD LCD that is around $1000. Like you I was thinking of getting a 24 incher but the prices for the larger 37" are getting really competitive with the smaller LCDs. Unfortunately the Sharp only has component/HDMI inputs no VGA so no PC hookups unless you have a HDMI equipped videocard or motherboard.

I think in a few months the even larger Sharp Full HD 42" LCDs will be what I eventually buy. Nothing beats surfing the net on a 42" Full HD LCD except something that's larger and more expensive. Would make a very nice HD DVD display too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How so?

Surfing on a 24" beats it. 1920x1200 > 1920x1080.

Well I'd rather sacrifice a few pixels and have a significantly larger screen where I can sit back and browse from the confort of my bed, sofa, etc. A small screen with very high resolution is pretty useless unless you like squinting. ;)

Back