Ebay'ed a game and the disc is scratched.. advice?

PARANOiA

Veteran
I just received a copy of Dead Rising I bought via Ebay today while I'm at work. I was happy until I turned the disc over and it's the worst condition I've ever seen a disc in my life.

As well as being out of picket $AU70, I'm frustrated at now having an Ebay rep arguement on my hands. I haven't tested it yet, but I'd be 99% surprised if it worked.

Any advice? Has this happened to anyone before? How was it resolved?

i've bought many used games/dvd's before on ebay, and i always make sure that 1, he has very good feedback, and 2, he has a good description of the condition of the disc. if he has good feedback but the disc turns out to be in terrible condition, he will most likely refund your money or allow you to exchange it.

the first thing you should do is try to contact the seller. if he ignores you or says he won't do anything about it, then decide whether or not to give him negative or neutral feedback. i know negative feedback won't get you another copy, but thats all you can do, unfortunately.

Toothpaste worked for me a few times.
Specially... kids toothpaste. What they put in the kids toothpaste?

toothpaste technique worked for my Gears of War disc. i removed about 4 scratches.

but then i thought 360 will keep raping the disc, so i sold it for 21 pound.

and make sure you use 100% white toothpaste

polishing a disc can repair a scratched CD by removing some of the outer plastic coating and thus making existing scratches shallower.
Isn't that bad in the long term? Say the disc gets scratched again... :?:

Isn't that bad in the long term? Say the disc gets scratched again... :?:
Only if you polish so much that the disc becomes unbalanced.

If in doubt, for a few bucks you can buy a kit that includes all the tools to polish the whole surface equally.

Only if you polish so much that the disc becomes unbalanced.

If in doubt, for a few bucks you can buy a kit that includes all the tools to polish the whole surface equally.

i think he means arent you removing the protective surface by doing that opening a larger area prone to further damage which you potentially wouldnt be able to use the same method on. I've never personally seen anything beyond cosmetic scratching, even when i treat my discs badly, and any reading problem are usually solved with a quick rubdown with diluted rubbing alcohol. I also think the quality of the drive matters a lot when it comes to is a disc really damaged or is the drive just a peice of crap. I've found this especially true in music CDs.

For DVDs, the data is in the middle, while for CDs the data is just below the label. There is no protective surface on the clear side(s), and you would have to polish really excessively to damage the data layer. Long before that the disc becomes unbalanced or too thin to work reliably.

But if you scratch the label side of a CD, it is simply broken beyond repair.

A bad drive is best replaced, and they're very cheap.

Well, the game works, but it has cut out three times due to disc read errors. It's odd, because I can just reboot and get past the area again, and the next time the disc seems to read with no problems.

I'm just about to close Case File 1. I might just ignore it, but it's still fairly frustrating. Lesson learned I guess.. thanks for the input guys.

I would first try to get a refund.

If that doesn't work, and it is beyond repair, you could try to get the disk replaced. I'm not sure if it's offered in Austrailia, but in the manual of my US edition of the game, there is info on how to get an out of warranty disk replaced. It costs $20 though.

Back