New Forum Skin: Introducing 'vB3D' Edit: And vB3D-LC

Much nicer! Thank you!
Seconded. Thanks Farid! I'd have darkened up the borders a bit, though, to make it appear less flat.
Considering the big changes, the fact that some of us wanted it a little less bright means that overall it's a big success, so don't take the minor criticism too much to heart.
Well, in my case I commented 'negatively' because I'd have liked to use the new one, but found it uncomfortable. Eyestrain isn't a good thing, and not something I want to get used to. If it was just that i didn't like it, I'd have followed the instructions in #1 and just kept my trap shut. :smile:

vB3D-LC:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/index.php?styleid=3

It also includes a different "new forum post" icon, now instead of being of made of a darker blue, it's colored in gold, which allows you to tell the forum with new posts in them from a mile away.

LC stands for lower contrast, by the way. It could have been named DC too.

With that said, I still think that most people should have used the board for a few days before complaining about it.
Unconsciously many folks do not like changes made to their environment, and the only way to deal with this is to expose oneself to the new changes and wait a few while to see if this one can get used to the said changes.

PERRRRFECT!!!! :love: :love: :love:

*hugs the angry frenchman*

*flees in terror*

no, really, nice work, appreciate it.

Thanks for the Low Contrast version. Its much easier on my eyes.

I tried the new forum a couple of times.. and it just was really uncomfortable.

We all have different environments where we view our screens plus different types of screens also. Some of us wear glasses where we might be more affected by brightness glare. So having a choice is a very good thing.

We the "brightness" affected, thank you to let us enjoy the new format you spent so much time creating.

Thanks

vB3D-LC:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/index.php?styleid=3

It also includes a different "new forum post" icon, now instead of being of made of a darker blue, it's colored in gold, which allows you to tell the forum with new posts in them from a mile away.

LC stands for lower contrast, by the way. It could have been named DC too.

With that said, I still think that most people should have used the board for a few days before complaining about it.
Unconsciously many folks do not like changes made to their environment, and the only way to deal with this is to expose oneself to the new changes and wait a few while to see if this one can get used to the said changes.
Thank you, thank you. Its alot easier on the eyes. :)

We'll take a look at generating a version of the new skin with slightly lower contrast to appease those with displays set to "I hate my own retinas" levels of brightness, but no promises on when other than "pretty soon".
Thanks for your patience with us ;)
In fact my LCD brightness level is in the middle of the range, but at night in the penumbra it is enough to make it not very comfortable.

edited: Thanks a lot Farid. Great work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There were some changes made to ease maintenance (no visual elements have changed). Those of you who selected the vB3D-LC theme will have to do so again.

The slow/different scrolling is due to the use of a fixed background image.

Putting this in a greasmonkey script will change the background to scroll and fix the problem if the designer doesn't change the CSS from fixed to scroll.

// ==UserScript==
// @name B3D Background
// @namespace http://mywebsite.com/myscripts
// @description A template for creating new user scripts from
// @include http://*beyond3d.com/*
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
document.body.style.backgroundAttachment = 'scroll';
})();

The LC edition is a huge improvement on a number of fronts to be honest. Not only is it much easier on the eyes but there actually seems to be more contrast and various components of the interface are much easier to separate. The front page under going a similar adjustment would be a dream... ;)

The slow/different scrolling is due to the use of a fixed background image.

Putting this in a greasmonkey script will change the background to scroll and fix the problem if the designer doesn't change the CSS from fixed to scroll.
Background attachment is set to scroll now, if that can be of helpul to some of you guys.

Background attachment is set to scroll now, if that can be of helpul to some of you guys.

Thanks a lot! :mrgreen:

I think it's bit better now but compared to classic forums it's still jerky. I guess that's an issue with the browser?

Regards,
Vadi

Awesome tweaks made for the -LC skin.

I reverted immediately because of the brightness. Then I started using the LC, thinking that was just right. Now after the last tweak (needed to re-choose LC), I've been using the non LC skin without even realizing. :LOL: I like it more and more. Good job! :)

I think this is fixed now for both vB3D and vB3D-LC, fully refresh to grab the stylesheets again and let us know if it's still an issue.

Old style is scrolling smoothly for me, but both new styles are jumpy. Don't have any help I can offer, but 1.7GHz of P4 does not seem enough to move this web page design around nicely on the screen.

Back