Some more shots on Silent Hill 3 (from a post in GameFAQs)

Lazy8s,

That was a tongue in cheek, jab to Shenmue-junkies like yourself ;) It was supposed to make you laugh, not be a call to arms! :p

edit: essay-provoking-material removed.

Some thoughts on SH3(warez release) gfx from GF.

1. Graphics (6/10)
Wow, what can I say about the graphics, this is one of the best looking games on Playstation 2 but there are a few problems. First off there are some really low textures. I don't know how Konami could let some just plain ugly textures go by without correcting them. The second problem is the frame rate, Silent Hill 2 ran about 40 FPS. Silent Hill 3 runs at around 30 FPS with it dipping ever so often. The third and final problem with the graphics is the lighting, with the Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams release on Xbox and PC I was hoping that Konami would add better lighting for Silent Hill 3. While there is an improvement over Silent Hill 2 it's not as great as the Xbox or PC version. As for the good, the monsters seem to be a lot more detailed and artistic this time around. The indoor areas look slightly better than Silent Hill 2. And there are great special effects they've added to the game. As I said in the beginning this is one of the best looking games on PS2 but when compared to GC, PC, and Xbox it can't compare. Hopefully Konami will improve some of the problems on their PC port of Silent Hill 3.

2. GRAPHICS(10/10)~What can I say? Just from looking at the preview,you can tell that Konami knows the ps2 system well enough to create a game so lovely,that it feels like playing a CG.Everything is fully detailed, including the enemies you encounter and the background.Although there aren't any CG's,I doubt you would be bothered because the game by itself is fully polished. I for one am immpressed; the graphics are astounding

3. Is it just me or does the graphic sucks during the game?

(I've got a pirated copy and from what I'm seeing it's that same as if only slightly better than Silent Hill 2)

Maybe I'll have to recheck later.

Contrasting views...

When you see someone saying that the game runs at 40FPS (and that the new one is slower)...

I mean, you can just see one's agenda shining through all those reviews.

and full head-to-toe character models at the highest LOD are of the detail displayed in the following:
Just a minor nitpick, but they are not at the same LOD as those models used for face demos. You can see that on Shenhua example.

Btw, Shemue definitely doesn't get any high marks for it's image quality from me. It detracted from graphics quality quite a bit, actually, much like it happened with VF4 or RR5 on PS2.

Anyways, at least in my opinion, SH3 models come on top by quite a nice margin, especially when you count in the quality of facial animation, lighting and self-shadowing. There just isn't anything quite like it around being done in realtime.

For those who doubt - demo is available. Get it, play it. I can only say that in motion it looks more impressive than any picture or blurry internet video could make you think. Image quality is definitely not a problem, as a matter of fact it's among the best, and there's even an option to choose 'soft' or 'sharp' image filter, like in Tekken 4.

40fps? I guess he is not techie unlike some of you. I think he meant lover fps/slowdowns and such. He did say SH3 has pretty graphics, though let down by some bad textures, vertex lighting and slowdowns. :oops:

I think regarding graphics we can trust ign or gamespot scores.....I am waiting for ign/gspot reviews whenever they are out....

He did say SH3 has pretty graphics, though let down by some bad textures, vertex lighting and slowdowns.
It's called "subtle trolling", Chap. Something you have yet to master ;) It's so obvious when you read that review of his (everything starts with "it's great... buuut, it was so much better in game x or console y... they tried really hard and did some things good, buuut failed where it matters the most...")

The guy most likely hasn't even played the game.

Will SH3 fearure open spaces like initial parts of SH2 or is it completely an indoor game start to finish????

Why is it being released in UK (Europe?? or only UK) first even before than Japan....any particular reason???

It features a similar mist covered outdoor section as SH2, it's just a lot later in the game.
SH3 starts indoors and you can go outdoors about after half way into the game.

zurich said:
A brief search on ircspy.com yields no release of PS2-SH3-rip yet.

It is all over the Internet, many people have that already.

I am waiting for my friend to buy me one on 23/May.

marconelly! said:
He did say SH3 has pretty graphics, though let down by some bad textures, vertex lighting and slowdowns.
It's called "subtle trolling", Chap. Something you have yet to master ;) It's so obvious when you read that review of his (everything starts with "it's great... buuut, it was so much better in game x or console y... they tried really hard and did some things good, buuut failed where it matters the most...")

The guy most likely hasn't even played the game.

Ha :D
Looks like Chap is a quicl learner. He already put his newly found skills in practice in GT4 thread :oops:

Hi everybody.

Yesterday I got the final PAL version of SH3 (no warez version). I'm about an hour into the game (savegame time) and I thought I might give a few impressions for you guys.

At first I never played SH1 on PS1, but enjoyed SH2 on PS2 very much so I'm obviously positively biased about the series (atleast from a gameplay side of things).

A few words on the overall technical quality of the game:
- loading times are on startup and every few rooms a bit long (5-10 seconds), but the most frequent transitions from room to room are very fast.
- sound quality is amazing. The title track is nice, but the ingame sound effects are nothing short than amazing in both sample quality and how they fit the games theme. Sound was a strong point of SH2 and SH3 is a nice improvement. It's a pity the game has no support for DPL2. A XBOX port with DD5.1 would certainly draw my attention.

Now on to graphics:
The game has two display options which influence graphics quite heavily IMO.

1) Noise effect: It's on by default and similar to the noise of SH2 but less pronounced. It definetly adds to the mood of the game and hides texture and edge aliasing quite nicely.
2) Display Mode: Default is normal which gives the whole game a soft look compared to sharp which brings out quite a bit aliasing.

I played with Noise Effect on and Display Mode Normal (the default settings for the game) which gives nice IQ with little noticeable edge and texture aliasing. The creepy feeling this settings get you is another bonus.
I played around for a few minutes with Noise effect Off and Display Mode sharp and it makes the games visual flaws stand out very clearly.

With the default settings (which I recommend) the graphics are gorgeous.
The amount of work that went into the characters (modelling and animation) is very visible. These are IMO the most realistic ingame characters I've ever seen on any platform. SH2 was definetly no slouch in this category so the improvement is all the more impressive. I'm sure the artistic side of things plays a large role in making these characters look as believeable as they are, but that's what good artists are for I guess. :)

Texturing is kind of a mixed bag IMO. Granted there are lot's of highres textures all over the place, and once again the art department get's a 10 out of 10 for there achievement, but I'm sure people will gang up on the texture aliasing when they play without the Noise Effect. With the default IQ settings I have no complaints about texture aliasing as the draw distance is very limited most of the time.
With the overall amount of scene complexity (there are loads of detailed objects lying around in some rooms) it's IMO quite an achievement to still fit as many High quality textures in those little 32Mb RAM. Adding MipMapping with proper trilinear filtering would certainly be nice, but may simply not fit in because of the added memory requirement. (this is of course speculation)

The shadowing seems pretty much identical to SH2, which once again was no slouch in this area. Vertex lighting is to me the most annoying visual flaw in SH3. I'm very sensitive to this so for most people it may be a non-issue.

If you put everything together you get a game with a visual quality which was thought to be impossible to realise on PS2. It has it's flaws (afterall game design is the art of compromise ;) ) but the overall impression is strong enough, mostly thanks to the characters design, to overshadow them.

About the gameplay:
Hey it's Silent Hill so what did you expect? :p

Does the final PAL version include the music video?
In SH2 there was no self-shadowing. In SH3 pictures, it looks like ther is some. Is there self shadowing in final game?

rabidrabbit said:
I don't know if it ships with the game (as an extra disc or something) but I didn't find it on the games disc.

In SH2 there was no self-shadowing. In SH3 pictures, it looks like ther is some. Is there self shadowing in final game?
I have to play SH2 again (it's been a year and time is running fast) but SH3 has nice self shadowing.

A few additions:
The PAL version has a 60Hz mode. (that's very important for us PAL gamers :) )
I've not encountered any slowdowns but framerate seems to be 30fps (remember I'm not that far into the game).

mr said:
rabidrabbit said:
I don't know if it ships with the game (as an extra disc or something) but I didn't find it on the games disc.

I have to play SH2 again (it's been a year and time is running fast) but SH3 has nice self shadowing.

A few additions:
The PAL version has a 60Hz mode. (that's very important for us PAL gamers :) )
I've not encountered any slowdowns but framerate seems to be 30fps (remember I'm not that far into the game).

no progressive scan?

It's kinda cool when people show respect and loyalty to older hardware even though it's shown itself to have been obsoleted years ago. What isn't so cool is singing the praises of a clearly inferior software and hardware at every opportunity.

Quite frankly it looks stupid, only a blind zealot would even mention Silent Hill 3 and FOOKIN SHMENUE in the same sentence. Period.

Let dead things rest in peace, Lazy. We already KNOW you love the game okay?

*G*

Grall said:
It's kinda cool when people show respect and loyalty to older hardware even though it's shown itself to have been obsoleted years ago. What isn't so cool is singing the praises of a clearly inferior software and hardware at every opportunity.

Quite frankly it looks stupid, only a blind zealot would even mention Silent Hill 3 and FOOKIN SHMENUE in the same sentence. Period.

Let dead things rest in peace, Lazy. We already KNOW you love the game okay?

*G*

:LOL: :LOL:

Back