New demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Back home => back to coding demos. :)
So there's a new demo up on my site. This time it's a nice glow effect.

glow.jpg

Grab it here:
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

:?

I had to use this many temporaries to workaround another problem which interpreted independent texture lookups as dependent and thus added another level of indirection, so it wouldn't let me sample the texture more than 4 times. Guess I should've tested older drivers too, but I'm too lazy for that :p

Well, guess we're out of luck. I installed cat 3.2, and after downsizing the blur filter until it would load I bumped into another problem which causes glProgramLocalParameter4f(GL_VERTEX_PROGRAM_ARB, ... ) to crash. Had the same problem in newer drivers, but could work around it, but not in cat 3.2 :(
Guess you'll have to wait for the next batch of drivers.

dah dah dah !
good thing, you can't watch this ARB demo, since I've no hardware to run it.

:p

Just so you know, as a beta tester, they worked fine with the latest drivers i have.
And heres a nitpick for you :)
The glow effect seems to light up the skymap behind it. That is to say, when i look through the glow, i can see the texture of what is a darkend area. Effect-wise, that doesn't make sense, especially if someone was using it for a cut scene type thing.

Humus, in OpenGLRenderer::uploadTexture (OpenGLRenderer.cpp) the demo calls glTexParameteri twice with a target of GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X_ARB which causes an INVALID_ENUM error. The correct target for these calls is GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB.

Hehe, I think it is so cool how you guys can test out Humus' work and suggest ways of improving the code. Humus you must learn a lot this way, no?

I wuld love to run this demo but I sold my Radeon 9700 Pro and I am currently running a GF4MX Integrated GPU. Do you think the demo will work OK with that guys? :?:

Tahir said:
I wuld love to run this demo but I sold my Radeon 9700 Pro and I am currently running a GF4MX Integrated GPU. Do you think the demo will work OK with that guys? :?:

Why did you sell such a precious beauty?
If you were in an economical jam you could always have sold your kidney or something less vital to everyday life. ;)

Were? If only! No I still am my friend, and I have one kidney half a lung no brain left.

Yea I miss my Radeon 9700 Pro buttttttttttt.......... this GF4MX kicks major ass :!:

SirXcalibur said:
Just so you know, as a beta tester, they worked fine with the latest drivers i have.
The glow effect seems to light up the skymap behind it. That is to say, when i look through the glow, i can see the texture of what is a darkend area. Effect-wise, that doesn't make sense, especially if someone was using it for a cut scene type thing.

Could you tell me, Humus: Would that be fixed by blend instead of adding the glow color? (I'm assuming you're adding the glow color). I.e., glow brightness factor weighting the blend...a weighting factor for brightness scaled to taste, and then (wf*color+screencolor)/(some suitable constant depending on wf scale, presumably 2).

Just a lighting novice asking for the error of his assumptions to be pointed out. :p It just seems to me that glow/glare effects diminish details distinction, not just brighten. Of course, I could actually check and see what you did before guessing, eh? I guess I'll take a peek.

Jallen said:
Humus, in OpenGLRenderer::uploadTexture (OpenGLRenderer.cpp) the demo calls glTexParameteri twice with a target of GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X_ARB which causes an INVALID_ENUM error. The correct target for these calls is GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB.

Hmm, I thought I had fixed that problem long ago. Obviously not. Now I've fixed it though, at least here on my machine, haven't uploaded anything.

Tahir said:
Hehe, I think it is so cool how you guys can test out Humus' work and suggest ways of improving the code. Humus you must learn a lot this way, no?

Sure. Any feedback is welcome, feedback on the effect aswell as feedback on the code.

demalion said:
SirXcalibur said:

Could you tell me, Humus: Would that be fixed by blend instead of adding the glow color? (I'm assuming you're adding the glow color). I.e., glow brightness factor weighting the blend...a weighting factor for brightness scaled to taste, and then (wf*color+screencolor)/(some suitable constant depending on wf scale, presumably 2).

Just a lighting novice asking for the error of his assumptions to be pointed out. :p It just seems to me that glow/glare effects diminish details distinction, not just brighten. Of course, I could actually check and see what you did before guessing, eh? I guess I'll take a peek.

Well, I suppose I could create an appropriate alpha value in the shader and use that in the blending. Will experiment a little tomorrow, it's 04:13 over here now ...

Back