Ie 7

Only [some] users prefer IE7. Most developers hate it. With a passion.
Today I had to explain a noob at work why FF doesn't give you a tooltip with the text of a "alt" attibute in a input form control. Yesterday I gave up on white-space: pre and just replaced all \r\n with <br /> tags. The day before.....

It's only because of its market share that it gets so much attention from developers and I hope MS lives up to the promise of improving it, but it has been slooooow...

I use Opera and resort to IE7 (though I wish I could go back to IE6 even, as it's about 7 times faster). Opera has a lot of handy features by default and they all work great (compare zooming - very useful - in Opera with zooming in IE7, for instance). FireFox is pretty good too, if you're into the whole plug-in thing, but I don't have time for that. I just give people I know Opera, and they have all they need nothing else needed.

(yes, I am an Opera fanboy)

Yes. Though it removes the "http://" bit by itself. BNot sure if thaty matters?

And I tried adding "www.beyond3d.com" as well. No luck.
*grumble*

Peace.

Hum, it doesn't remove the http:// on my Trusted Sites "panel", sounds strange :???:

I use Opera and resort to IE7 (though I wish I could go back to IE6 even, as it's about 7 times faster). Opera has a lot of handy features by default and they all work great (compare zooming - very useful - in Opera with zooming in IE7, for instance). FireFox is pretty good too, if you're into the whole plug-in thing, but I don't have time for that. I just give people I know Opera, and they have all they need nothing else needed.

(yes, I am an Opera fanboy)

There is two issues that keep me from using Opera.

1.) It just does not feel right. Something about the behavior each time I've given it a go in the past really just kept me away. The most annoying part possibly is the bookmark's. You can not right click them and choose either open in the current tab or another, you simply can only click them and open in another tab. That's simply annoying. There's other similar instances as well. With Opera I just feel a bit closed and without as many choices in interaction with the browser.

2.) Lack of plug-ins. Each time I look at these "widgets" and just laugh. Of course there's a few other basically pathetic attempts at giving Opera plug-ins, but to be put simply they all suck with ease of use and maintaining. Opera simply does not have everything I need out of the box and then there's really nowhere to go for those things. With Firefox I can build it up and make a backup of my folders and be ready to go right away each and every time, bookmarks AND plug-ins included.

IE7 looks great, about time we got AA on text :smile:

Firefox still has it's fair share of issues with compatability when browsing the net, so it's nice to be able to go back to IE.

There is two issues that keep me from using Opera.

1.) It just does not feel right. Something about the behavior each time I've given it a go in the past really just kept me away. The most annoying part possibly is the bookmark's. You can not right click them and choose either open in the current tab or another, you simply can only click them and open in another tab. That's simply annoying. There's other similar instances as well. With Opera I just feel a bit closed and without as many choices in interaction with the browser.

2.) Lack of plug-ins. Each time I look at these "widgets" and just laugh. Of course there's a few other basically pathetic attempts at giving Opera plug-ins, but to be put simply they all suck with ease of use and maintaining. Opera simply does not have everything I need out of the box and then there's really nowhere to go for those things. With Firefox I can build it up and make a backup of my folders and be ready to go right away each and every time, bookmarks AND plug-ins included.

Bookmarks: Left click to open in active tab, middle click for a new one. Or right click for a choice of current/new/background. Your entire #1 is just wrong.

I agree about the plugins to some extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
IE7 looks great, about time we got AA on text :smile:

Firefox still has it's fair share of issues with compatability when browsing the net, so it's nice to be able to go back to IE.
Simply use IE tab for those pesky sites, or steer clear of them.

Bookmarks: Left click to open in active tab, middle click for a new one. Or right click for a choice of current/new/background. You entire #1 is just wrong.

I agree about the plugins to some extent.

Your Opera must be very special then, or all of mine have been dumb for some reason. I just went as far as reinstalling it and I am still experiencing the same issues. Be it in the Bookmark's drop down menu or on the Personal bar. Right click or middle click does nothing at all, only a left and this time when in the Bookmark's drop down it does it in the current tab. On the personal bar a right click gives you the option to remove it or go to Properties or Customize, how great no option at all as to what I want to do.

Reinstalling as actually introduced to even more issues with the Bookmark's in Opera. They're just an out right pain to use and setup. Why can I not drag and select more than one at a time? Having to Ctrl+Click each one is a needless waste of time. Luckily you can sorta delete the folders, though you have to first open it and then delete the root.

I would really like to know why my Opera install is so "different" from yours...

I just installed it on my office computer knowing I won't use it at home. It's not too bad, definitely a nice facelift. All the fonts look diffrent, was there an overhaul?

Also apparently there's compatibility issues with a certain website that's essential to my company. Any possible way to override the error and make the website open?

Your Opera must be very special then, or all of mine have been dumb for some reason. I just went as far as reinstalling it and I am still experiencing the same issues. Be it in the Bookmark's drop down menu or on the Personal bar. Right click or middle click does nothing at all, only a left and this time when in the Bookmark's drop down it does it in the current tab. On the personal bar a right click gives you the option to remove it or go to Properties or Customize, how great no option at all as to what I want to do.
Wha bars? Dropdowns? Never tried those, but you may want to hit F4 once to open the panels, select the bookmarks view and try your mouse clicking there.

The biggest problem I have with Opera is that its out-of-the-box skin and panel layout looks like shit and needs some heavy customization to become visually pleasing.

Reinstalling as actually introduced to even more issues with the Bookmark's in Opera. They're just an out right pain to use and setup. Why can I not drag and select more than one at a time? Having to Ctrl+Click each one is a needless waste of time. Luckily you can sorta delete the folders, though you have to first open it and then delete the root.

I would really like to know why my Opera install is so "different" from yours...

I'm sorry, like RolfN says, I use the bookmarks panel (see the thumbnail below). The menu will give you left click only. If you want to manage them properly, just open the panel in a tab. Then you can multi select all you want. :) Left/Right/Middle-click works just fine from my personal bar, are you sure you're not missing something?

edit: Right-clicking in the personal bar will indeed give the limited menu you're describing, however left will open in current, middle in new.

The biggest problem I have with Opera is that its out-of-the-box skin and panel layout looks like shit and needs some heavy customization to become visually pleasing.

Indeed. Here's my current config:

Also apparently there's compatibility issues with a certain website that's essential to my company. Any possible way to override the error and make the website open?

That may depend on the error. With FF or Opera you'd most likely be able to do so if the error was in the site itself. What error are you getting?

Indeed. Here's my current config:

I prefer a more bare-bones style:

I use multiple windows and have the side-panel only in one of them (to monitor my mail). I don't actually use bookmarks anymore. I have all important sites saved in a session and that just auto-loads whenever I start Opera. All the other stuff (and PA is definitely other stuff) I just type in.

Firefox can be made into a good browser, but it does a few really puzzling things, and I assume it does so to be an easier transition for IE users. But seriously it's wrong to nag users with warning dialogs every time they fill out a form or engage SSL. It teaches them to ignore system messages, that the only productive way to use them is to dismiss them as quickly as possible. Software should avoid doing that.

It annoys me that FF uses system font settings for form buttons but its own fonts (and sizes) for everything else. It means I can't customize my system fonts without breaking page layouts.

It annoys me that FF cuts off title-tag text after 30 or so characters, eliminating the most straight-forward (script-free!) way to produce element tooltips.

It annoys me that FF has so little functionality out of the box and needs to be spruced up with addons. Addons are great for niche interests, but a modern browser should IMO come with definitive core functionality. The included zoom functionality is a joke. Who wants to click on a back button when you could have mouse flips and gestures? Where are the per-site preferences, or any quick preferences for that matter?

I'm also experiencing some issues with its layout engine. The fix was simple, so no biggie.

Overall Opera 9 is the best browsing package for me. It does everything I need out of the box, and just needs a quick visual overhaul to be perfect.

IE7 is just really dumb.
I did a separate style sheet for IE6 which I bound to a web page by putting this into the header:
PHP:
<!--[if IE]><style type="text/css">
@import url(/bcn-ie.css.gz);
</style><![endif]-->
That is by definition an HTML comment, i.e. a browser should completely ignore the statement. Of course this is a little extension which defines a section of the source that only IE will read and interpret. So when IE catches this, it does whatever is enclosed there (the @import statement), while all other browser recognize it as a comment and completely skip the section.
So far so good.

Now I thought, hey, IE7 might actually understand CSS, why not try the stylesheet that has the font sizes and proportions that make the site look like it's supposed to. So I used this:
PHP:
<!--[if IE lt 7]><style type="text/css">
@import url(/bcn-ie.css.gz);
</style><![endif]-->
That's another special comment, and only IE versions less than 7 are supposed to interpret the enclosed import statement.

IE7 however is too double-dumb to understand this: it interprets it as neither a comment nor a conditional statement. It will not perform the import, and that's good, but it will print the text "<!--[if IE lt 7]><![endif]-->" literally into the browser window. What a hoot!

Please don't be a part of the problem. Just stop using that pile of shit, whatever version number it bears.

No wonder MS has a headaches with morons like you running around dissing THEM when its YOU that makes the stupid mistake.

The next time you want to diss a company for YOUR OWN MISTAKE, go take 5 seconds to actually find out what you're supposed to be doing.

FYI, its <!--[if lt IE 7]> not <!--[if IE lt 7]>

This lesson is complete, go forth and stop whinging.

No wonder MS has a headaches with morons like you running around dissing THEM when its YOU that makes the stupid mistake.

The next time you want to diss a company for YOUR OWN MISTAKE, go take 5 seconds to actually find out what you're supposed to be doing.

FYI, its <!--[if lt IE 7]> not <!--[if IE lt 7]>

This lesson is complete, go forth and stop whinging.
It's a valid HTML comment. It should not, under no circumstance on this green earth, lead to the display of any text in the output window.
I'm dissing a company that can't even get a parser exception right that exists solely to allow innocent third parties to include work-arounds for the millions of bugs in their fucked up software.

It's a valid HTML comment.

Its obviously not. Its meant specifically for IE to read it, and if IE cant then its obviously not "valid". Haha. It doesnt matter if you THINK it should be valid, if it doesnt work how you THINK it should work, then it doesnt work, and you should go learn how to do it properly, before bitching at the company that made the software. If you know that something is broken, learn how to fix it yourself.

IE6 and 7 are generally fine for anything that people whinge about them, with regards to CSS and the like. We make sites with a single, unhacked .css for all browsers. And they are complicated sites too, not 5 lines of HTML. Full scale, complex designed web pages. No problems. Seriously, while OK the word moron might have been a bit harsh, people like you piss me off. "This doesnt work", "it cant do that", "oh.. wait.. my fault". It would have taken LESS time to google for what YOU WERE DOING WRONG than it would have to write that overly bloated post.

Infact, dont bother. It because of you that I get so many calls asking for new websites, or to fix broken ones. Thanks, I just bought a new computer because of you. :p

Also, LOL at the infraction. I LOL'd when you could get neg-rep on this forum, and now infractions. Just hahaha. Political correctness is going overboard nowadays.

Well, every time I see this debate pop up, I have to peep my affection for Maxthon. The g/f got a new Vista laptop and overall we're pretty impressed with how prett is, and it's pretty snappy. However, IE7 didn't last too long. We've got Maxthon on it now and will probably never look back... for those that don't know it's just a tabbed version of IE. The interface is as close to IE's and it gets, and it's got a fair amount of features to tweak and pretty good plugin support. Firefox always seems tempting with its plugin support, but I can't get the will up to test it, most of the time. I had issues with it and Opera before and probably won't switch back to one of them until Maxthon gives me problems.

Back