Kojima Jumps In: MGS4 Coming to the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sell poorly? Resi 4 sold 2 million units on PS2. Probably netted Capcom $20 million or so in profits. It sold 1.6 million units on GC...

And that confirms how bad business decision it was for Capcom to release RE Remake and Zero exclusively for GC.

According to the site, Remake sold only 1,35 million copies, and Zero 1,25 million. Wonder what the sales figures would have been if they had released them on PS2. Most probably a lot better, as even RE Outbreak sold 1,45 million copies on PS2, and RECVX sold 1,4 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on the game. Look at past sales of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, the main ones in the series, not ones that were just "upgrades". Metal Gear Solid was a big upgrade from previous games, and it sold about 7 million on the PS1. Metal Gear Solid 2 was the next big upgrade, and also sold about 7 million on the PS2. Metal Gear Solid 4 is another big upgrade and yet it sold only 3 million on PS3, even though the video game playing audience has expanded since then. That is a massive drop in sales.

Two things can be taken from this. Either millions of people suddenly got bored of the Metal Gear Franchise, or millions still really want to play it but can't afford the $500 cost of entry (PS3 + game + tax). Now, what would happen if it was suddenly playable on a $200 console? I would say 2 million more sales easy, and I think 3 million is not out of the realm of possibility. There are many out there still really wanting to play the game, but few in their right minds will spend $500 to play it.
I don't think majority of 7 million people who bought MGS2 were commited fans of Metal Gear series, quiet the opposite - most people who buy these multimillion selling games buy them because there is a huge buzz around them. So while there might be a huge potential of the franchise unrealized by launching on PS3 only (due to limited userbase and high cost of entry), it's not going to matter if Konami fails to replicate this sort of anticipation that was there prior to the launch of the game in June. It might be impossible unless they add a lot of new content and change some old stuff, otherwise press won't spend much resources on the game that they played a while ago and even then it won't be nearly as much because most of the series' core fans already played it. On top of that Konami would have to spend a lot of money on re-advertising the game, and most companies don't do that with late ports, they just release them in a stealth way.
That's why 3 million sounds far stretched to me. MGs4 on 360 might still be a profitable venture though and give the company some experience on the platform.

On top of that Konami would have to spend a lot of money on re-advertising the game, and most companies don't do that with late ports, they just release them in a stealth way.
That's why 3 million sounds far stretched to me. MGs4 on 360 might still be a profitable venture though and give the company some experience on the platform.

I don't think they would need to spend much of their own money advertising it, I'm sure Microsoft would be willing to crack their own wallet open. Metal Gear is the last great PS3 exclusive, Microsoft will go the extra mile to make Konami happy. There's lots of options to generate hype as well, like Microsoft can sell an MGS4 360 bundle, or even pay Konami to make new and exclusive extra content in the single player game. In fact they can get very clever with new content, like add brief side missions or cutscenes that bring back even more characters from the Metal Gear universe that were not covered in the PS3 version. That alone would probably get some of the hardcore fans to re-buy the 360 version even if they played the PS3 version.

I don't think they would need to spend much of their own money advertising it, I'm sure Microsoft would be willing to crack their own wallet open. Metal Gear is the last great PS3 exclusive, Microsoft will go the extra mile to make Konami happy.

That's fanboy logic. Why should Microsoft care? Getting FFXIII on 360 means you have less reason to get a PS3. Getting MGS4 half a year or more after the game release isn't really gonna convince anyone not to get a PS3. It's too late for that, PS3 already had its sales boost. Might MS do something to get MGS5 (or whatever the next game is)? Sure. But the MGS4 boat has sailed, no one cares anymore but fans looking for some argument in console wars.

That's fanboy logic. Why should Microsoft care? Getting FFXIII on 360 means you have less reason to get a PS3. Getting MGS4 half a year or more after the game release isn't really gonna convince anyone not to get a PS3. It's too late for that, PS3 already had its sales boost. Might MS do something to get MGS5 (or whatever the next game is)? Sure. But the MGS4 boat has sailed, no one cares anymore but fans looking for some argument in console wars.

It depends on what state MGS4 360 is right now. If it truly hasn't been started and is 18 months away from completion, then yeah they are better off going for MGS5. On the other hand, if it's been in the works for a while in secret then it makes sense to go for MGS4.

I personally don't think the MGS4 boat has sailed either. It's sales numbers indicate that it's hurting bad by being single platform so it's an opportunity. Likewise, Microsoft doesn't have to convince people to not get a PS3 to play it, the PS3's price tag does a perfect job of that.

As the price of the xbox360 and ps3 drop, new buyers will consider purchasing one of them and many of these purchasers will no doubt be weighing the game libraries against one another. I think every big title is a welcome addition to ms and sony, and I'm sure sony has been pleased that they got Oblivion and Bioshock later rather than never.

As the price of the xbox360 and ps3 drop, new buyers will consider purchasing one of them and many of these purchasers will no doubt be weighing the game libraries against one another. I think every big title is a welcome addition to ms and sony,

I certainly am not arguing whether it's a welcome addition, but we're saying that MS will pay for MGS4's advertising. For a 6+ month old game that already did its damage?

I certainly am not arguing whether it's a welcome addition, but we're saying that MS will pay for MGS4's advertising. For a 6+ month old game that already did its damage?
You questioned the value of their late addition, and given that later additions still help sell systems, it seems reasonable to me that ms might cover advertising to get a big title. Especially advertising that wouldn't need to be as widespread and expensive as a first time release.

Metal Gear is the last great PS3 exclusive
what! a lot of the MGS series have been multiplatform I have no doubt MGS4 will also be one day

the greatest 'true' exclusive for sony would easily have to be the grand tourismo series (50+ million copies sold)

Whilst its good for the xbox360 to get MGS4 (or any other title) The question begs is it financially worth it (I sure it is with MGS4) but others eg Bioshock coming out on the ps3 will they cover the costs of porting (ok not as much as developing a new game)
but ports never sell well, I think one of the few exceptions was resident evil for the ps2

You questioned the value of their late addition,

No, I question how Microsoft will look at it. I think there is value in bringing the game over, but not particularly to Microsoft. At least, not enough for them to bank a 'big' marketing campaign for a 3rd party console. At this point, arguing that MGS4 is the last Sony bastion is just fanboy spiel. Getting MGS4 will do nothing for Microsoft besides the obvious, which is bring another good title into its library, of which there are already many.

and given that later additions still help sell systems,
Certainly. By how much? I don't think enough, not like how FFXIII will prevent people from going to PS3. People who were going to PS3 with MGS4 already did; or maybe they will by this holiday. Since MGS4 360 isn't coming out this holiday, I don't really see all this strategic value to getting MGS4 on 360.

it seems reasonable to me that ms might cover advertising to get a big title.
MGS4 6 months late is a big title? This isn't day and date; MS invested a lot of money in getting exclusives, timed exclusives and breaking exclusivity on PS3 titles with day and date 360 versions. It's worked very well for them. MGS4 fits into none of these. The PS3 launch already got the inveterate fanboys (who probably already had a PS3, often enough) and those easily swayed by hype. Who's left now? Fanboys who can't afford a PS3, I guess, and those who are just curious about the title. I don't think either of these is a massive consumer base, or that even together they're more than a million.

Especially advertising that wouldn't need to be as widespread and expensive as a first time release.

To sell 3 million copies (which is how this tangent of the discussion began) of a 6-12 month old game? When the original launch with massive marketing and enormous buckets of hype (since disarmed) sold, also, a little over 3 million? I'd say that to reach those numbers it'd have to be pretty widespread indeed.

Whilst its good for the xbox360 to get MGS4 (or any other title) The question begs is it financially worth it (I sure it is with MGS4) but others eg Bioshock coming out on the ps3 will they cover the costs of porting (ok not as much as developing a new game)

Well, the assets were already there, and probably Bioshock PS3 is good engine practice for when Bioshock 2 comes out and is multiplatform.

but ports never sell well, I think one of the few exceptions was resident evil for the ps2
They hardly ever beat the original, but they sometimes sell well enough. I think Bioshock will do well enough to make a profit, maybe add a few hundred thousand to Bioshock's LTD of 2 mil.

I don't think they would need to spend much of their own money advertising it, I'm sure Microsoft would be willing to crack their own wallet open. Metal Gear is the last great PS3 exclusive, Microsoft will go the extra mile to make Konami happy. There's lots of options to generate hype as well, like Microsoft can sell an MGS4 360 bundle, or even pay Konami to make new and exclusive extra content in the single player game. In fact they can get very clever with new content, like add brief side missions or cutscenes that bring back even more characters from the Metal Gear universe that were not covered in the PS3 version. That alone would probably get some of the hardcore fans to re-buy the 360 version even if they played the PS3 version.

The thing is, Microsoft doesn't really need MGS4 on 360 all that much anymore and they realize that. MGS4 storm already came in and came by and Microsoft managed to survive that. Long term MGS4 aren't that strong, in USA in September it was outsold by COD4 PS3. The only real gain for them would be prestige from getting the last big 3rd party franchise earlier assossiated to Playstation, which would help them to send out the message that 360 is as much a successor to PS2 as PS3 is.

Konami is the company that would benefit much more from that port - MGS4 sales aren't strong anymore, so offering the game to a new base of 20M is a great opportunity for them. In fact, it's basically the only way left to squeeze (substantially) more money out of this title. If they manage to trick Microsoft into paying for advertisement and additional content, that'll be even better for them and I'll be really impressed.

Assuming it'll be on 360 after all this speculation...

edit: obonicus made some excellent points and I utterly agree with him!

This would be really welcome for me if true, last gen I owned PS2, xbox and GC and this gen I only own the xbox 360 and don't have any plans for any other console if MGS4 came to the 360 I would welcome it.

Would it be possible, easy or likely to improve textures on the 360 ? I don't find them very attractive on the current PS3 version.

So it was pisspoor conversion because the framerate wasn't as good as PS2 version during the first short part of the game with Snake on the deck of that boat?!? Other than that, I remember the versions being quite similar.

Yeah I don't remember much more than that either I think people try to make it look worse than it was, the gamespot review says..

One year later, Metal Gear Solid 2 is still one of the best-looking PlayStation 2 games, but the Xbox's graphical capabilities are held to a higher standard. The game's meticulous attention to detail and its superb motion-captured animation are imported intact to the Xbox, but some instances of noticeable graphical slowdown now mar what was a consistently smooth gameplay experience on the PlayStation 2. The frame rate problems are rare but sometimes occur in high-intensity situations such as during certain action-packed cinematics or when you're being swarmed by enemies, so these issues don't just affect the graphics, but can also hurt the gameplay experience a bit.

Would it be possible, easy or likely to improve textures on the 360 ? I don't find them very attractive on the current PS3 version.

Not likely.

MGS4 has all the cutscenes in realtime and there's an insane amount of action and characters in both cutscenes in gameplay.
The game runs without even the slightest hitch or pop up on the PS3, so unless you want a M[e]ss Effect kind of experience, pray they don't mess with the textures for the [rumoured] Xbox version.

Not likely.

MGS4 has all the cutscenes in realtime

Truly not all are but almost.

and there's an insane amount of action and characters in both cutscenes in gameplay.

Insane amount? :LOL:

The game runs without even the slightest hitch or pop up on the PS3.

Dude really, Gamersyde has HQ videos of gameplay, slow downs are evident in many places and very noticable to (and yes 0 frames dropped for video). Especially smoke takes it toll.

So unless you want a M[e]ss Effect kind of experience, pray they don't mess with the textures for the [rumoured] Xbox version.

It would be better to use FC2 as a metric for perfomance instead of ME regarding the xbox360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back