Kojima Jumps In: MGS4 Coming to the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at this spin! The PS3 doesn't get a port of a game and people come out of no where screaming money hats and how dumb developers ignoring the PS3 for even a few hundred thousand unit sales. Yet they turn around and dismiss MGS4's sales of atleast 1 mil 360. Even show spite at the thought. Tools or trolls. Hard to determine which one some are...

Well, that is the not so subtle way of saying that :LOL:

Holy shit - are we talking about this again?

If a port comes out - it'll be another terrible port - I can point back, AGAIN, to the MGS2:Substance disc for xb1 as an example of why this shouldn't happen

Jack

Not all ports are bad; the GCN MGS ports were pretty good, actually. Of course it could be horrible (look at all the poor PS3 ports), but the reality is Konami has a broad window to make it happen and has an incentive they didn't have with the Xbox1: significant sales.

Anyhow, if we can discuss porting a game to the PS3 to obtain a couple hundred thousand additional sales I don't see why this is off topic when there are a number of news media sites indicating this may be in progress.

The denial is very flimsy, and relegated to the last line of an pro-port article

TechRadar has spoken to a Konami rep in the UK, who tells us that the company has no plans right now to release MGS4 on any format other than PlayStation 3.

Tech Radar has just updated their article with a direct comment from Konami reiterating their position that there is no plans for a 360 version.

Looks like it was a lot of fuss over nothing again.

"has no plans right now" doesn't sound too firm... actually sounds like a number of other non-denial denials. I mean, they could have said, "MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive and we are thrilled with the success MGS4 has had on the PS3 platform and look forward to delivering future content on the platform. We are not working on a 360 port."

Who knows what will happen, but it is always "milk through nose" worthy when 2 months after a denial that a project is underway... a fully working build shows up with a release date months away :LOL:

"has no plans right now" doesn't sound too firm... actually sounds like a number of other non-denial denials. I mean, they could have said, "MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive and we are thrilled with the success MGS4 has had on the PS3 platform and look forward to delivering future content on the platform. We are not working on a 360 port."

Who knows what will happen, but it is always "milk through nose" worthy when 2 months after a denial that a project is underway... a fully working build shows up with a release date months away :LOL:

I believe Ryan Payton did say something like that before the game came out, he said the PS brand has been good to them and the game is exclusive and if you want to play it you have to buy a PS3. And they werent working on any other version beside the PS3. Who knows whats going to happen now.

Holy shit - are we talking about this again?

If a port comes out - it'll be another terrible port - I can point back, AGAIN, to the MGS2:Substance disc for xb1 as an example of why this shouldn't happen

Jack

What kind of absurd theory is this?

Just because the Xbox 1 recieved a crappy port does not mean a potential MGS4 port would be crap. The Xbox had 1\10th of the install base of the PS2, not only that but i imagine that MGS2 utitlized certain hardware benefits on the PS2 that is not so easily to reproducve on the Xbox.

The Xbox 360 has a larger market share than the PS3. Porting between PS3 and X360 is much easier than PS2\Xbox. If we are to believe what some people on this forum are saying its actually better to have PS3 lead and port to the X360 than vice versa, i dont see any reason why the port would have to suck.

The potential sales are sky high, Konami has plenty of experience porting between these two platform, there is nothing that would suggest that a potential MGS4 port would be sucky.

What kind of absurd theory is this?

Just because the Xbox 1 recieved a crappy port does not mean a potential MGS4 port would be crap. The Xbox had 1\10th of the install base of the PS2, not only that but i imagine that MGS2 utitlized certain hardware benefits on the PS2 that is not so easily to reproducve on the Xbox.

The Xbox 360 has a larger market share than the PS3. Porting between PS3 and X360 is much easier than PS2\Xbox. If we are to believe what some people on this forum are saying its actually better to have PS3 lead and port to the X360 than vice versa, i dont see any reason why the port would have to suck.

The potential sales are sky high, Konami has plenty of experience porting between these two platform, there is nothing that would suggest that a potential MGS4 port would be sucky.

History my friend! :) Konami did a pisspoor conversion of The PS2 port to the xbox (which again, was far and away a superior piece of hardware) - because the port came a year later, and even konami would have to acknowledge that they weren't about to touch the PS2 sales from a year previous - so why put more work into it than they had to! Here we sit on the eve of the exact same decision - why wouldn't history repeat itself!

Yes, the 360 has a large install base - so what!- Xbox360 only players don't have a clue what Metal Gear is about - they've never played it, what makes everyoene think all 360 owners are gonna rush out and pick it up, even if were released at a lower price (which undoubtedly it'd have to be).

So again - let's look at this from a business perspective - "Spend tons of time and money to put out a port that is going to be less money and sell moderately...hmm...what to do what to do?" I'd put a port like this in the same league as the Resident Evil 4 port on PS2 - sure it can be done, but it'll be compromised and probably sell poorly - so why bother?

I have no doubt that a quality port could be made (with some minor sacrafices in the sound department and a multiple disc release thing) - but I have no faith that anyone would invest SERIOUS money into a labor of love!

Jack

So again - let's look at this from a business perspective - "Spend tons of time and money to put out a port that is going to be less money and sell moderately...hmm...what to do what to do?" I'd put a port like this in the same league as the Resident Evil 4 port on PS2 - sure it can be done, but it'll be compromised and probably sell poorly - so why bother?
Sell poorly? Resi 4 sold 2 million units on PS2. Probably netted Capcom $20 million or so in profits. It sold 1.6 million units on GC...

Porting MGS4 would likely cost a few million tops assuming existing assets work okay. That means anything above a few hundred thousand is profit - there's the potential to make millions of dollars here!

You have a point in XB360 owners maybe not knowing anything about the MGS franchise, although why do you think existing PS2 MGS fans never bought into XB360?..., but even then, the game could be marketed, hyped, and sold on the strength of being a new game that's actually quite good, if you like that sort of thing. Millions of gamers have bought into Gears, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and other new IPs. Why shouldn't XB360 gamers who like hardcore titles pick up an epic like MGS4?

Because hardcore gamers like to play games and MGS4 is more like an interactive movie?

Not having played any of the series, just offering up my opinion of why the series isn't attractive to me as a 'hardcore gamer' who choose a 360 this generation after owning both consoles the last time around.

I wouldn't buy it if it were available for the 360 and bargain-binned. Just from the reviews, it's not something I'm interested in. It seems to be a genre all on its own, and I'm of the opinion that those who are fans would have made that one of the determining factors in their choice of consoles.

I wouldnt consider MGS4 just an interactive move. I would consider it an interactive masterpiece that I recommend to every hardcore gamer that appreciate a different view of what defines gaming entertainment. MGS4 is definitely not a game aimed for casuals either

Because hardcore gamers like to play games and MGS4 is more like an interactive movie?
So MGS4 gamers aren't 'hardcore'?! :???: Clearly 'hardcore gamers' covers fans of lots of different genres and tastes. Gritty, realistic, war-torn, high-story titles tend to be well received on XB360, no? Even if it's not your personal cup of tea.

I wouldn't buy it if it were available for the 360 and bargain-binned. Just from the reviews, it's not something I'm interested in.
You seem to be saying that you're representative of the vast majority of XB360 owners, and because you don't like the sound of MGS4, there's no market for it on XB360? Personally I think MGS4 is a bit pants, but I would extend my tastes that far to saying there's no market for MGS4 on PS3!
It seems to be a genre all on its own, and I'm of the opinion that those who are fans would have made that one of the determining factors in their choice of consoles.
Assuming that the fans had no budget constraints, and fans of MGS who would buy MGS4 bought a $500+ console to play it. If true, of the previous 7 million fans, 4 million have decided MGS4 isn't worth bothering, despite it drawing a 'close' to lots of the prior story.

Is it that improbable that of the millions of PS2 owners who enjoyed MGS4, a substantial portion (4 million out of the 7 million who bought MGS3) couldn't stretch to $600 for one game, and either got an XB360, or were sitting out of this generation of consoles until something more appealing came along, and now the prospect of MGS4 for $300 looms?

History my friend! :) Konami did a pisspoor conversion of The PS2 port to the xbox

So it was pisspoor conversion because the framerate wasn't as good as PS2 version during the first short part of the game with Snake on the deck of that boat?!? Other than that, I remember the versions being quite similar.

How many will have to refuse for ego concerns, because they've been compulsively mocking it for being a PS3 game? ;)

I don't know maybe 4 people, the same bunch who refuse FF and Tekken also, the rest will make sure that the sales will be ok/good. As far as I'm concerned that sort of ego crap is more evident in Sony camp... Although I don' really hang out on Xbox only sites, so maybe it's just as bad on that side, maybe...

So it was pisspoor conversion because the framerate wasn't as good as PS2 version during the first short part of the game with Snake on the deck of that boat?!? Other than that, I remember the versions being quite similar.

I don't know maybe 4 people, the same bunch who refuse FF and Tekken also, the rest will make sure that the sales will be ok/good. As far as I'm concerned that sort of ego crap is more evident in Sony camp... Although I don' really hang out on Xbox only sites, so maybe it's just as bad on that side, maybe...

No - it was an all around bad conversion - the framerate lag being at the top of the list throughout the whole game. The audio was wierdly off, textures looked washed out - and it never (forgive the expression) moved (animated I guess) like the PS2 version

There are elitist idiots on both sides of the fence - luckily for all of us - they account for but a fraction of the money being spent out there - they're just more vocal!

:)

jack

That's Capcom's official site. It's a good reminder that what you hear can be based on nothing more than one person's totally uneducated opinion, and if people pass it on, it becomes a totally bogus common 'fact'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back