Kojima Jumps In: MGS4 Coming to the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the game hasn't already been in development for the 360 I doubt we will ever see it. I think it take just way to long for them to port it over. I think once u get past the 1 year mark for a port it simply wont do well.

According to Jonnyram at GAF, the MGS4 port on 360 is "the worst kept secret in Japan" or something to that affect.

In other words I'd expect it's already in a pretty advanced state before they start talking about it. If it's true, they've likely been beavering away on the 360 version for a good while already.

We're simply in a state where next gen games are so expensive, it's nearly impossible to justify excluding either PS3 or 360's userbase. Big third party exclusives are nearly gone, and you can thank 360's one year head start for a lot of that.

Rangers said:
We're simply in a state where next gen games are so expensive
It's nothing particularly new to next-gen. IIRC If you look at best selling titles on PS2 in Europe, there's like one third party exclusive in the top 30.
Everything else was either multiplatform or was ported around at some point or another.

According to Jonnyram at GAF, the MGS4 port on 360 is "the worst kept secret in Japan" or something to that affect.
Who is Jonnyram? Does he work in the industry? Just curious to see if he can be a credible source.

It sold 3M on 360 last year in US only and it's over 4M in that country alone by now.

3M+ sales of late port is rather impossible. As other people noted conversion rarely do all that well.

I;m pretty sure Konami execs regret not going multiplatform with MGS4. They probably look at sales of multiplatform titles like COD4, AC and compare them to those of MGS4 and realize their game had press coverage/critical acclaim/advertising at least extensive/good/big, so it had potential to achieve so much more with multiplatform release.
Though shipping 4M copies is still not too shabby.;)

Do we have data from ps3 games that were timed exclusive? Normaly we look at titles from the 360 to the ps3. However this time the game will be going from a smaller user base to a bigger one. Also the entry for mgs4 on 360 is only $200.

I doubt we'd see 3m copies. However even if we only see 2m copies , thats still 2m copies for what could amount to as little as $1m t port the title.

I don't know whether to +rep Joshua for his April Fools attempt, or -ve rep him for getting fooled ;)
I woke up today fresh and with a smile. A cup of coca milk and then to relax infront of the computer. I browse to Beyond3D and see this thread and think 'Great news for the gamming community!' until my smile fades away and the cocoa lumps suddenly feelt like rocks in my mouth when I smell the 1st april stench in this thread. :cry:...;)
Might as well keep it all in once place. I liked this one: GTA Wii
http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=118665

It not only looks good, it reminds you of how many locations are reused from the original
The link you give shows an article, from E3 06, with different text than that which you quote..?

I can't see any other MGS4 related article on the front IGN 360 page..

Would now be a bad time to point out it's April 1?

Looks at calendar.....mehh... lol

the mouse on that pic is 100% exactly the same as mine

anyway, Kojima jumped in ages ago, he is Gears of War fan apparently
Well BLIZZARD has announced new warcraft RTS for WoW users [actualy its just Warcraft 3, with new name sticker on the box ]

Warcraft: Heroes of Azeroth
WHoA comes in *four* different box covers
(that's TWICE as many as WoW!)
http://www.blizzard.com/whoa/

Hahahahhaa... Nice one
I was expecting this April foolsday attempt today
Oh noes, he sold out!!!

Happy April Fools Day Everyone
Nice! There's sill room for improvement, but nice!
I don't think you matched your vocabulary to the usual IGN set. They don't use half of these words. And it's "escalated"
Good work on the subtle inaccuracies though, especially Resident Evil
You guys are no fun, you should play the game, act surprised and start dropping crazy fan person approved drivel about how big this is and all.

I for one wanted to write a fake PR announcing a Nvidia buyout by Intel, or an AMD buyout from IBM, and post it in the PC forums, while keeping an eye on the thread, deleting posts saying "Haha April's fool", just to see how many folks would take the bait. But sadly, I have very little time, I'm putting the final touch to the new forum skin and writting a convincing PR would require more than a couple of minutes.
^ very evil plan indeed.
Make it so!
Sad day for Sony fan***s. :LOL:
They got it on a DVD just fine.

there were trivial cutbacks. Mostly the uncompressed sound. Still looks great, see:

Good one, Joshua. I wish the game hadn't been over so early!
hahah, looking back at the time before time is funny. You people are so vulnerable....

You remind me of this very dramatic scene of Gandalf's death when he falls into the abyss and says: "Run, you fools!" :smile:

And then you heard someone in the back row screaming: ""Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

MGS is not my favourite franchise but everything is good.

Who is Jonnyram? Does he work in the industry? Just curious to see if he can be a credible source.
Oh come on Nesh. Looks to me you are learning from Shifty, Nebula and pbjliverpool... :smile: Don't be so analytical on things

Yeah me too, I'm surprised it hasn't transitioned over yet. The game by its design has already been split into parts given that each act needs an install on PS3. In other words, the game is already nicely partitioned, so splitting it on multiple discs is relatively easy. My only guess is that they want to milk PS3 sales through the holiday season, then they can let the cat out of the bag after that. Or perhaps they are holding out for a nice, ummm, "support payment" from Microsoft.

Then again, maybe Konami really doesn't want an additional 3+ million in sales. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

MGS never did very well on the Xbox when it was previously ported. This was why after MGS2, MGS3 stayed PS2 exclusive. MGS4 might work on the 360 this generation, though, and it may still be coming. If it doesn't, then either Sony paid some money, or Konami doesn't think MGS4 will do well enough on the 360.

When it does happen, it will no doubt be in the form of another S ... ence type release.

Quick search suggests he's a guy with a blog.

Not saying to take my word for it or believe, but he's some sort of Japan gaming figure at GAF. I dont know his story or anything, just guess hes more connected than average, and lives in Japan.

Not saying to take my word for it or believe, but he's some sort of Japan gaming figure at GAF. I dont know his story or anything, just guess hes more connected than average, and lives in Japan.

Problem with GAF is that they think that posting on GAF makes them insiders, just because real developers post there, or because they know enough Japanese to read 2ch.

MGS never did very well on the Xbox when it was previously ported. This was why after MGS2, MGS3 stayed PS2 exclusive. MGS4 might work on the 360 this generation, though, and it may still be coming. If it doesn't, then either Sony paid some money, or Konami doesn't think MGS4 will do well enough on the 360.

When it does happen, it will no doubt be in the form of another S ... ence type release.

The MGS port was really poor to the Xbox. Now if Konami was planning another poor quality port then your point stands because the PS3 has shown how customers are fickle for such and the 360 library really don't allow much wiggle room for shovelware. But a quality port that added new content (think Oblivion) with a focus on the 360 demographic (solid online play) they could pick up a couple million sales.

I think it is important to remember that on the Xbox you had, at least the perception, of MGS/Splinter Cell overlap. With SC taking a new direction MGS would appeal to longtime SC fans missing out on the stealth action genre.

Anyhow, if PS3 fans can argue that 200k-500k additional PS3 sales justify a port, it is hard to explain how an easy million MGS4 sales cannot justify the reverse. The content is all created, it is matter of getting an engine that can use those assets.

From everything we are hearing art is the expensive part, not all the programmers. They are paid to figure this stuff out and not be lazy :p

What I find annoying is that hopes from the 360 side are mostly about seeing MGS4 not being a PS3 exclusive anymore, than having the chance to play the game.

What I find annoying is that hopes from the 360 side are mostly about seeing MGS4 not being a PS3 exclusive anymore, than having the chance to play the game.

I don't see it the way that you do, but will admit that fanboyism affects both sides. What I see is a stronger current of Sony defenders (and I've owned all 3 Sony home consoles) who are losing there one argument - their golden game, if you will - on what supposedly justfied their purchase and pushed fence-sitters to Sony. Please look it at in a more diplomatic sense, that more people can enjoy a fantastic piece of software, which will boost Konami revenue so that they will make even more software that you like in the hight production MGS vein.

In short; I have experienced more Sonyists crying than Xboxican schadenfreude. both should be happy.

From everything we are hearing art is the expensive part, not all the programmers. They are paid to figure this stuff out and not be lazy :p

I think it'd be worth it for Konami, no doubt, if they can get past the whole per-disc royalties thing (if true). A couple of million is pretty optimistic. More likely than 3, no doubt, but for anything other than a launch this holiday season I don't think we'd see more than 1 million sales. Still a good amount.

I don't see it the way that you do, but will admit that fanboyism affects both sides. What I see is a stronger current of Sony defenders (and I've owned all 3 Sony home consoles) who are losing there one argument - their golden game, if you will - on what supposedly justfied their purchase and pushed fence-sitters to Sony. Please look it at in a more diplomatic sense, that more people can enjoy a fantastic piece of software, which will boost Konami revenue so that they will make even more software that you like in the hight production MGS vein.

In short; I have experienced more Sonyists crying than Xboxican schadenfreude. both should be happy.
Well personally I am experiencing the opposite. Especially when you start seeing PS3 forums being infested with 360 owners. After this its natural that you will expect an exaggerated "defensive attitude" from the other side.

Well personally I am experiencing the opposite. Especially when you start seeing PS3 forums being infested with 360 owners. After this its natural that you will expect an exaggerated "defensive attitude" from the other side.

Understood. There is no doubt that the Xboxites are getting vicious. My advise to you (and you don't need to take it) is ignore them and be thankful that you enjoyed a historically great game, at most when they can't, or at least 1-2 years before them.

Back to the topic: Konami should follow Capcom's strategy, make one engine (to rule them all) and sell to every platform. As an investor I believe this keeps Konami profitable as a selfish gamer I can play their games with any hardware and presumably play better games with the extra investment from these assumed profits.

I dont care much if it will get on the 360 at this stage. I am only annoyed by how the game is being perceived.

I am an MGS "bigot" and I demand that it deserves better treatment than be another object used in the console wars. :LOL:

I dont care much if it will get on the 360 at this stage. I am only annoyed by how the game is being perceived.

I am an MGS "bigot" and I demand that it deserves better treatment than be another object used in the console wars. :LOL:

I like, I like;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back