Can PS2 run all games through component video cable?

As topic says.

I need a PS2 S-video cable but these seem hard to come by these days. I can't find any place selling them. I know a friend has one though but he might want to use his PS2 again some day.

So if I buy him a component cable instead then he can. If it works in all situations both games and watching DVDs etc.

So.. Is thids possible? It doesn'thave to be progressive. It just has to show a pictre (interlaced is acceptable; he truly doesn't notice anyway :cool:)
Peace.

The component will display everything. I have a Monster s-video cable from way back, I make you good deal!

I got a cheap third party component cable at Gamestop a while back. It has connectors for PS2 and Xbox on it. No idea if they carry these regularly anymore.

On older models, if you use component the DVD-Playback will be be "green". Might be that the last models changed this, but this was true with my V4 and v10 PS2 atleast (current models are V14 AFAIK). You could fix this by using software ("DVDregionX"), soldering a wire on the PCB or installing a modchip

On older models, if you use component the DVD-Playback will be be "green". Might be that the last models changed this, but this was true with my V4 and v10 PS2 atleast (current models are V14 AFAIK). You could fix this by using software ("DVDregionX"), soldering a wire on the PCB or installing a modchip

:oops: I have an original, launch day, PS2 (N.A. model), and there's no need to do any of that for DVD playback. It's a simple settings change in the system's menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
:oops: I have an original, launch day, PS2 (N.A. model), and there's no need to do any of that for DVD playback. It's a simple settings change in the system's menu.
Funny, dont have a "crack protection" option on mine.
Did you use SVideo or used a socket on the TV that only can do Composite (ie are you sure you use RGB/Component Output)?
AFAIK it was removed with slim PSTwo, but I never verified myself.

You know whats really scary: Apparently PS3 intentionally fucks up RGB too, both on DVD and even Linux:oops: :oops:

Funny, dont have a "crack protection" option on mine.
Did you use SVideo or used a socket on the TV that only can do Composite (ie are you sure you use RGB/Component Output)?
AFAIK it was removed with slim PSTwo, but I never verified myself.

You know whats really scary: Apparently PS3 intentionally fucks up RGB too, both on DVD and even Linux:oops: :oops:

Nope, I was definitely using component. The setting had something to do with the color spaces, IIRC. I'm also using component on my PS3 w/o a problem, but it seems the issue in that link is in regards to SCART. My other slimline PS2 also works fine w/ component. I had to change the same setting. Please note, I'm referring to North American systems.

EDIT

The only time I recall ever seeing the Macrovision protection (the green screen) kick in was when I tried to route the PS2's video output to a VCR. e.g. PS2 --[Composite/S-vid]--> VCR --[Composite/S-vid]--> TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay who was the wiseguy who voted the thread down to one star?
Nice going bub. Theres nothing in here that deserves a "terrible" rating (other than yourself perhaps).

I appreciate the replies from you other folks though. I don't think a green DVD screen is going to be much of a problem since my bud has an expensive stand-alone DVD player anyway.
Peace.

Nope, I was definitely using component. The setting had something to do with the color spaces, IIRC.
You arent using RGB then, the other Option aint working on any TV I tried.
The only time I recall ever seeing the Macrovision protection (the green screen) kick in was when I tried to route the PS2's video output to a VCR. e.g. PS2 --[Composite/S-vid]--> VCR --[Composite/S-vid]--> TV.
I think Macrovision and "Green screen" are different things.

You arent using RGB then, the other Option aint working on any TV I tried.

I think that was the problem, if I selected RGB (on my NTSC TV) the colors would get screwed up. I had to use the other option. What region are you in? Are you using component or SCART?

I think Macrovision and "Green screen" are different things.

If it has do with playing back DVDs, then I think we're talking about the same thing. A green filter/scan lines would appear over the DVD when activated.

I think that was the problem, if I selected RGB (on my NTSC TV) the colors would get screwed up. I had to use the other option. What region are you in? Are you using component or SCART?
Europe. Scart is merely a connector, you can run a variety of signals over it (including Composite & RGB) - Im using RGB Scart which carries the same signal as RGB Component
If it has do with playing back DVDs, then I think we're talking about the same thing. A green filter/scan lines would appear over the DVD when activated.
AFAIK Macrovision embeds a signal so you cant tape Video, but TVs can remove/decode it. Sonys "Green screen" is a bonus on their part. again AFAIK PSTwos removed "Green Screen" but not Macrovision

Europe. Scart is merely a connector, you can run a variety of signals over it (including Composite & RGB) - Im using RGB Scart which carries the same signal as RGB Component
Ah, I see now. I think this is why we're getting such different results. I'm using standard component cables with Y/Pb/Pr (IIRC) on a N.A. PS2 w/ a NTSC TV. You're using RGB Scart on a PAL (?) TV.
AFAIK Macrovision embeds a signal so you cant tape Video, but TVs can remove/decode it. Sonys "Green screen" is a bonus on their part. again AFAIK PSTwos removed "Green Screen" but not Macrovision
Oh, I see. I thought the green screen was the protection.

Ah, I see now. I think this is why we're getting such different results. I'm using standard component cables with Y/Pb/Pr (IIRC) on a N.A. PS2 w/ a NTSC TV. You're using RGB Scart on a PAL (?) TV.
Yup, though the TV has no probs displaying NTSC it cant deal with Y/Pb/Pr. Pretty much all TVs you could buy for the last 15+ years support RGB. I guess its the opposite in NA.
In the end, our standards sound way friendlier than yours :D

The green output is due to Sony disabling rgb or component output for DVD playback only. They did this at the time fo the PS2 launch to differentiate the dvd playback quailty of there dedicated DVD player to the PS2. Basiclly you were force to watch dvd's over composite, though there are a few hack to get around this. It really shows the beginnign of the thinking that has created the hotch potch that is the PS3.

Games always worked over rgb or component, the issue was only for DVD.

Bad Sony BAD BAD

Not sure if this helps but as i recall Astroboy on ps2 never used to work for me using component had to use coposite thats the PAL release i refer too... Haven't tried it recently so there is a chance i'm getting mixed up.

Back