Xbox Live ARCADE Games... definitive thread

Braid+Geometry Wars 2+Castle Crashers > than majority of the $60 games out there for purchase. Sadly, due to the power of marketing, people rather spend $60 on a mediocre game than split it over 4-5 awesome Arcade games with varied gameplay.
cannot agree with you more. i know that i'm probably in the minority but actually xbla has been the best part of 360 gaming experience for me so far. while i was somehow dissapointed with some of the biggest & most popular full price releases that the system had seen(ghost recon, gears of war, oblivion, lost odyssey, mass effect, halo 3 ), xbla games like pacman:ce(one of my favorite game on any system ever!!), uno, luminees live, n+, bomberman live, mutant storm1/2, worms live, galaga: legions (one of the best recent additions to xbla!), geowars1/2, braid, bionic commando, castle crashers provided awesome gaming moments for very reasonale price tags.

Been playing some local multiplayer Castle Crashers with my brother and his friend during their visit last week. Overall, pretty good fun, but they need to change/add some things:
  • player character outlines to make it easier to see where you are, or alternatively have the profile name floating above the players' characters. Things get really messy with the area effect magics.
  • customizable colour shades for characters. i.e. darker/brighter shades of the character. e.g. Red character will still be red. etc The main advantage is for the characters you unlock that were previously NPCs throughout the game. Right now, they are identical to the enemies, making your character difficult to identify in multiplayer. Having a darker or brighter palette would be fun.
  • drop in/drop out play at the map screen. It kind of sucks having to quit the game just to add people. The game does scale the number of enemies with the number of players, so real-time drop in/out might mess things up, but hey... whatever is doable.
  • In a multiplayer game, do not require that everyone pick up the same weapon/animal orb just to have access to it in the armoury. If one player picks up a new sword, everyone playing at the time should have it added to weapons/animal orb storage automatically.
  • ability to block in the air would be nice
  • 5.1 surround sound would be great too... e.g. top left of screen = front left speaker, bottom right of screen = rear right speaker, center of screen = combined use of speakers, but lower volume per speaker etc etc.
  • full rumble effects with attacks/hits

there are a slew of maps, not to mention you can make your own! So we should get a game going. I am actually having more fun with this than I did with Civ Rev.

I'm almost afraid to play against you, your scores slaughter mine on every single game....except Robotron :)

Please, I saw you creep up in Geowars2 and most of my XBLA games have either DeanA, QRoach, or bkillian ahead of me (Gamertags withheld to protect the "innocent"). Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet though, now I need to go back and play robotron!
Ha - I spent an hour or so last night trying to beat your 20M Pacifism score. Seeing the next highest person's name while playing is very clever... really pushes that "just one more go" feeling.

Soon, you will be seeing my name on your screen :devilish:

Oh, and anyone on here, please feel free to add me - gamertag is "say nothing" without the quotes. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to make an index sheet to track people's forum names to their gamertags. I added a few people, but I can't remember who they are.

The XBL gamercard link under the user name should help a bit. :)

Yeah, I just need to write them all down because I can't see it while I'm playing. It would be nice if you could group friends, so I could group my Beyond3d friends, or if you could add notes to your friends list. I'd add everyone's beyond3d name.

I put my forum name as my "motto"

I played last night from 1800 - 0200, I'm hooked.

I have to catch you online! I saw you earlier but you were "locked" in an online match.

Btw, any tips on beating the last level (7-3)? You have one ship with 2 of 9 upgrades and everyone else (4 AI teams) has more ships and/or better ships starting off. All the cities are 2-dots and the map is quite large and your Pirates Lair is on the top middle so you don't get a nice corner to "watch" 2 towns at once. The map has few merchants for curses, few outposts, and few crates so you really do need to keep an eye on the cities it seems. Cherry picking works some but you are outnumbered and their bases are closer to the cities so they re-inforce quickly. One broken part in the game is if the time goes out (16 minutes on this map) you "win" if you have the most cities--even if you don't meet the quota (4 on this map). The problem is I cannot seem to last that long as some of the strong-multiship teams are able to capture the cities very fast once they have exchanged hands a couple times as they become one-cannon defence towns with low health. I have tried the level like 10 times (no more than twice on any others!) and it is now officially annoying :p

This game is so amazingly simple in design and offering a very fast gaming experience. Being able to play in 10 and 15 minute chunks is perfect for me, so even after they "cheat" (aka, I suck) its no big deal to just start another round. I don't have much hope for DLC seeing as it looks to only have been purchased by about 5000 people, its a shame really this is easy enough for my son and "deep" enough for me.

That is exactly what we are finding. This is a true RTS, simple, balanced, and fun. Fast paced and not repetitive if you thrive on the strategical element. My son is loving the game (and it is super clean) and the 1 button interface (2 if you count special weapons) is super easy to use, but the advanced controls and strategical elements are "easy to learn, harder to master." Not a perfect game but we are hooked :D And like you said you can play for 10 minutes... cough... which turns into 2 hours lol.

Sorry I couldn't catch a game earlier, the wife and I were apartment shoppin'.

man that Age of Booty is a pretty cool game (trial demo).... thinking about a ppurchase..

Can someone tell me... PORTAL on Live Arcade... is it worth the $15? The demo had me memorized and invested and i wanna play more but my question is; is it short? does it have any replay value?
thanks

It looks like Uno, Bomberman Live, Small Arms, Hardwood Spades and Hardwood Hearts will get title updates when NXE ships to support the new avatar feature. They also mentioned that there would be one more secret Live Arcade title that will get Avatar support. They wouldn't say what it was, but they went ahead showed some game footage and you can figure it out that it's Kingdom for Keflings.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/10/31/new-xbox-experience-avatars-in-games.aspx

Tommy McClain

Can someone tell me... PORTAL on Live Arcade... is it worth the $15? The demo had me memorized and invested and i wanna play more but my question is; is it short? does it have any replay value?
thanks

If you've never played Portal before(I was one of them), then I believe it's well worth the $15. However, during the main part of the game I kept thinking that Braid was harder, had better puzzles and a more intriguing story. I haven't attempted the extra challenges yet, but will probably tonight or this weekend. One thing I thought was wierd: I pretty much played the complete original story and did not get one achievement. I finally got one, but that's it. Really tough.

BTW, I finished the main game(not the extra challenges) in one evening. The Time Challenges(Challenge Mode) will probably keep you more busy, but other than that I wouldn't expect much more replay value as their isn't any multiplayer.

Tommy McClain

If you've never played Portal before(I was one of them), then I believe it's well worth the $15. However, during the main part of the game I kept thinking that Braid was harder, had better puzzles and a more intriguing story. I haven't attempted the extra challenges yet, but will probably tonight or this weekend. One thing I thought was wierd: I pretty much played the complete original story and did not get one achievement. I finally got one, but that's it. Really tough.

BTW, I finished the main game(not the extra challenges) in one evening. The Time Challenges(Challenge Mode) will probably keep you more busy, but other than that I wouldn't expect much more replay value as their isn't any multiplayer.

Tommy McClain

thanks Tommy!

Sooo obviously no one has talked about SS2THD yet. I added it to my queue from work (I am likeing that feature a whole lot...).

In the framebuffer analysis thread gamesmaster posted a few grabs ...

Sooo obviously no one has talked about SS2THD yet. I added it to my queue from work (I am likeing that feature a whole lot...).
That's the best conversion and probably the best SF2 version of the original franchise to date.

I finnished the game with Cammy and I had to confront Akuma. Well, the original Akuma was way overpowered, I didn't remember he was that good and unbeatable.

His air fireball is nerfed if you select him in the game (he only throws 1 fireball instead of 2, but he is still an amazingly powerful character), but he's not nerfed in any way if you play against him in the final match.

I don't care about the Akuma achievement but it was nice fighting him as it brought good memories from playing this game on my PC, but with a lot worse picture quality -320x224- and unfriendly features

SSF2THD has the worst demo ever. The only mode available is 2-player local. So if you only own one controller, you can't even play the demo! What were they thinking?

Back