Xbox Live ARCADE Games... definitive thread

From that it looks like it's ready to go, but there's a licensing deal between Microsoft and Activision that holding it up indefinitely. I'm sure if Microsoft and Activision get enough mail on the matter they'll come up with a compromise that will get it on the service. It's financially beneficial for both companies.

Tommy McClain

You mean Nintendo instead of Activision, right? :p

That sucks... I had some great fun with multiplayer (I've actually only played the game once). I would have liked to see it in HD, and it would have been an instant purchase for many.

My guess is that Nintendo may have wanted exclusive digital distribution rights for the Wii... though I think a fair compromise would have been to have the original emulated on Wii while Xbox 360 customers get the enhanced port that was allegedly in the works.

bugger (though thanks for the link :)). So they were pretty much on the verge of completing it? What a waste.... :(

RezHD is up... and it's beautiful. I haven't played this since the Dreamcast and wow, time has served this game wonderfully. 10/10 review on Eurogamer too!

Buy it, B3D!

Rez HD is an amazing game. This game is like ICO in making you look at gaming in an entirely different way. I'm glad I finally got to play it on XBLA I have been meaning to play this on Dreamcast or PS2 but never got around to it and now got to play it in HD with remastered audio.

Be sure to enable rumble and 5.1 in options they're disabled by default.

Last edited by a moderator:
The coolest on the Xbox Live period! I'm not even into trans but this game is just too cool. GET THIS GAME!

Once I learned about rumble and 5.1 surround, it just trippled in coolness.

Ok, I tried this, but I'm not feeling it yet. It feels like something I played while booting up a certain Ridge Racer game, except that it has auto-aim. What am I doing wrong, I wonder?

Ok, I tried this, but I'm not feeling it yet. It feels like something I played while booting up a certain Ridge Racer game, except that it has auto-aim. What am I doing wrong, I wonder?

That surprised me, since this game is effectively the father of Lumines in many ways, and that's one of your favourite games.

Rez is about syncing with the beat in an effort to create a beautifully flowing experience. Try playing the same level again if you managed to do it without dying before moving on. That way you'll start to get into the game, bop your head and feel the beat as you create the music that drives your actions.

If you haven't managed to beat level one, then I'd suggest you need to rethink how you're playing the game - it's a very easy introduction, so potentially you're trying to play this like Galaga or a Tie-Fighter game rather than a music game.

Edit: wildly off topc, but I finally cracked Lumines Base mode last night. Now I'm working towards your high score, since you're #1 on my friends list :p

I just got UNO. Had some good fun for some time.

How come some old games are 400MP like Geometry Wars and UNO and some are 800? I know arcade hits have discounts but... they aren't there!

Rez is about syncing with the beat in an effort to create a beautifully flowing experience. Try playing the same level again if you managed to do it without dying before moving on. That way you'll start to get into the game, bop your head and feel the beat as you create the music that drives your actions.

I easily 'flowed' through it, but I'm still puzzled by the gameplay element of it. I may have to try harder, but maybe someone can just spill the beans. In Lumines, the depth of the game comes from setting up and working towards combinations of blocks that score more points then blocks of 4 individually (e.g. 4 scores 1, 6 scores 2, so a scoring efficiency of 150%). Is there anything like this in Rez? Do you get more points if you time your shooting properly to the beat? Change the order of the objects that you can shoot as they present themselves? Or is it just so that the shooting adds to the music and flow, but has no direct gameplay function?

I easily 'flowed' through it, but I'm still puzzled by the gameplay element of it. I may have to try harder, but maybe someone can just spill the beans. In Lumines, the depth of the game comes from setting up and working towards combinations of blocks that score more points then blocks of 4 individually (e.g. 4 scores 1, 6 scores 2, so a scoring efficiency of 150%). Is there anything like this in Rez? Do you get more points if you time your shooting properly to the beat? Change the order of the objects that you can shoot as they present themselves? Or is it just so that the shooting adds to the music and flow, but has no direct gameplay function?

The more you chain, the better your score. Optimally, you play a perfect song if you chain everything as it flows onto the screen - but of course it takes a lot of skill to do this, along with a little bit of memorisation to know how many to chain and from which direction.

The easiest example is the first level of course. At the very start you'll have a throbbing bass beat, then two enemies will appear slightly apart. Select them and you'll hear the top hat ding twice with a small rest between (*tsh*.... *tsh*) - then release and you'll hear them shot down with an actual drum beat with the same gap (*dum*.... *dum*). Then two more appear a little closer together, and when you lock on, you'll notice the beat speeds up since there's less distance to move your cursor - *tshtshdumdum*.

Later levels begin to get crazier, and level five is something else altogether. I don't want to spoil it for any of the others who haven't played it yet, but my girlfriend just stopped what she was doing to watch me try and get through it.

Of course it's more art than anything, and art is always subjective. But if you don't appreciate Rez for what it is I'm going to ask you to change your B3D tagline, since it's not fitting ;)

Oh one other thing - getting longer chains and shooting down more enemies, as well has having a better beat, gives you more blue or red powerups. You level up more when playing the game better, so there's certainly reward over just "scoring more".

Ok, that's just what I wanted to know, thanks. I'll give it another 'shot' and try the full game (I just tried the demo first, because, well, it was there ;) ).

I easily 'flowed' through it, but I'm still puzzled by the gameplay element of it.

Fundamentally, the gameplay is bog standard japanese rail-shooter. And an easy one at that, - at least the first five areas (mission mode). Once those are done you unlock more modes and these get hard fast.

What sets Rez apart is the funky visuals and the integration of the music/audio into the gameplay.

Cheers

Beat the game last night. Almost beat Eden in final form but got hit by a missile that went behind me :( Then I beat the Lost World. Now to go back and beat the score attack stuff.

Back