Xbox Live ARCADE Games... definitive thread

just wanted to give Konami's Castlevania: Symphony of the Night the respect it deseves as this thread started the week after release.... if you want a cool old school console game, Konami really stepped up with this offering... fun stuff.
Recreated and enhanced for Xbox 360™, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is better than before with enhanced graphics, new achievements, and Xbox Live® leaderboards.
Years ago, Richter Belmont faced the nightmare creature Dracula in what was supposed to be the final showdown to rid the world of his evil. Instead, Dracula's castle has once again risen from the mists to threaten the safety of the world.
Alucard, a mysterious figure with his own motivations, has taken it upon himself to enter the new castle, confront the evil, and attempt to destroy Dracula once and for all. With swords and magic, he must face hordes of undead demons who will attempt to stop him from harming their master. Unknown allies also await Alucard to help him in his journey. Can Alucard uncover the full truth behind the source of Dracula's power?
  • Two versions: Play the original version of the game or experience it in enhanced mode with improved graphics and modernized audio and sound effects.
  • Non-linear gameplay: Collect items, weapons and armor to defeat the powerful boss monsters that block access to key areas of the castle.
  • Xbox 360 enhancements: Earn 12 achievements and 200 Gamerscore points, and check the top players with the online leaderboards.

Boom Boom Rocket is pretty fun, although the price is a bit high for what it is. Nice rythm game, in any case. Bizarre certainly know how to handle particles. :)

Boom Boom Rocket is pretty good so far. It's challenging but it doesn't feel cheap (not yet, anyway). I agree that it is a little too expensive, though. BBR should definitely be brought up in the "What has the eDRAM gotten us" thread. :p

I have been hanging out for gyruss, even it is just for "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" that music is what kept me playing as a youngster.

http://www.digitpress.com/dpsoundz/gyruss2.wav

See if you can get that out of your head for the next hour.
yes easily the best theme music ever for a game, i can still remember playing it the arcade from way back in 1983/84 solely due to the music, the only one similar would be xain'd sleena (though not quite the bach buzz)

Boom Boom Rocket is pretty fun, although the price is a bit high for what it is. Nice rythm game, in any case. Bizarre certainly know how to handle particles. :)
yep yep, especially co-op modes are insanely fun. me and my wife are hooked on this thing since we first downladed it. good job bizarre :cool:

ps:bizarre, just please choose a different publisher if you can next time, i don't wanna end up paying 200-400 mp for upgrade packs for my favorite xbla games.

Another 2-fer this week on XBL Arcade :smile:

Chowdown and Pinball FX on Xbox LIVE Arcade Wednesday

It's another two-fer! This Wednesday, you can download Eets: Chowdown and Pinball FX from Xbox LIVE Arcade. Both games are rated E, and are 800 points.

Eets: Chowdown

“Eets: Chowdown” from Klei Entertainment Inc. is a visual feast for the eyes and a treat for the brain, combining 2D puzzle game elements with a surreal sense of humor. Gamers must use colorful and wacky items like spouting Prankster Whales, vengeful Marshomechs, Radioactive Ginseng and more to manipulate Eets’ emotions and safely guide it through myriad hazards to each level's exit.

“Eets: Chowdown” offers a slew of new items, 120 levels and the exclusive debut of Marsho Madness, a high-adrenaline action game in which players must keep the impending evil marshmallows at bay.

“Eets: Chowdown” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone.

Game Features

* 120 new levels in gorgeous high definition graphics
* Tons of crazy characters, including Marshomechs, Radioactive Ginseng, and Exploding Superpigs.
* Marsho Madness: the crazy, adrenaline-rushing “Eets” action game, where players can play co-op to keep the impending evil marshmallows at bay
* Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 Gamerscore points

Pinball FX

Zen Studios’ new “Pinball FX” offers a unique pinball experience for novice and expert gamers. It combines the arcade thrills of traditional pinball with enhanced gameplay and exciting, innovative features not found in any other pinball game. Gamers may control the flippers with their hand or arm motions using the Xbox LIVE Vision Camera or simply use the standard Xbox 360 controller. Pinball FX sets a new standard for realistic ball physics and graphical detail in pinball video games.

“Pinball FX” will be available worldwide for 800 Microsoft Points and is rated E for Everyone.

Game Features

* Real-time head-to-head mode for online multiplayer competition for up to 4 players
* Three vibrant, 3D pinball tables
* Tables start out simple, but new challenges open up as a player’s skill advances
* Gesture based controls and live chat via the Xbox 360 LIVE Vision Camera
* Earn up to 12 Achievements and 200 Gamerscore points
* Amazing realism that is an industry first for the genre

Centipede®/Millipede®

Centipede/Millipede takes you back to the coin-op days, but with enhanced graphics, surround sound, and online leaderboards.

Catan

In the strategy game Catan, you are a colonist on a newly discovered island. Vie for control with other players over this wilderness.

Eets: Chowdown

Eets: Chowdown is an upgrade to the popular PC indie puzzle game, with new items and 120 levels, optimized for HD display.

now available

I'll have to get Catan. My wife bought me the board game and I never learned to play, maybe this version will teach me :)

Ok, I can get by in Galaga without an arcade stick (I'm not happy about it though)

But,

Centipede without a rollerball is just wrong

IMO, of course

--Robert

I'll have to get Catan. My wife bought me the board game and I never learned to play, maybe this version will teach me :)
Catan is really nice. I've played the boardgame to death, and the computer still poses a nice challenge (althought it's not too difficult to win even on hard). The graphics are nothing special, but are sufficient and the whole interface is very intuitive. If you like boardgames, it's certainly recommendable.

On a related note, I really like the additional diversity and breadth XBLA brings to the gaming experience. I think I have eight or so games so far. It's nice to have some pick up and play games for times when you just want to play some quick fun. Of course, most of the games have equivalents on PC, but it's just too convenient to play them on the 360 to bother with it.

I have to say I have been pretty impressed with some of the recent releases. Been playing the heck out of Pinball and Minigolf.

Minigolf has already proven to be a bonafide party hit. It may have taken over Heavy Weapon in my household for that, but I think we need to give it more time.

Whoever said about the Catan board game ditto.

Back