Magazine, TV Channel Vote 'Zelda' Games Best Ever!

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

Magazine, TV Channel Vote 'Zelda' Games Best Ever
Fri May 2, 3:51 PM ET Add Technology - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - It has inspired legions of fans and generated hundreds of millions of dollars for its creators, and according to a panel of experts, the "Legend of Zelda" video game series now ranks as the best of all time.

A panel of writers from Entertainment Weekly and gaming experts from G4, the cable TV games channel, have voted the "Zelda" series, from Japan's Nintendo (news - web sites) Co. Ltd. (7974.OS) to the top of a list of the best 100 video games ever.

The "Zelda" series is a chronicle of heroic adventures in fantasy lands; the latest game, "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker," features a character named Link who sails the seas searching for his sister and using a magic staff that can summon windstorms.

The list, which appears in the new Entertainment Weekly and will be broken down in a series of nightly specials the week of May 5 on G4, encompasses all genres of games and all systems, from classic arcade machines to today's game consoles.

Second on the list was the 1993 PC game "Doom," from id Software, widely hailed as a revolution in PC gaming both for its graphics and its often-gory violence.

Rounding out the top five were the classic puzzle game "Tetris," the criminal adventure games "Grand Theft Auto III" and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. (Nasdaq:TTWO - news) and "Madden NFL 2003" from Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq:ERTS - news)

Nintendo and EA combined for 20 of the 100 entries on the list, which comes just days before the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3, the video game industry's annual trade show in Los Angeles.

so first five...

Zelda
Doom1
Tetris
GTA3/VC
MNFL3

....wtf, are they on drugs or what??? :LOL:

only Doom1 deserves it plays.....Zelda is definitely not the best (extremely overrated)...Tetris( :LOL: )....GTA3/VC though good games, dont deserve to be in top 10....MNFL3 ( :LOL: this is the limit!)....

where is MGS...RE...Tekken3...VF...SC...UT....SH...and so many....

There are two Zelda games in the top 5 games of all time at GR. You simply cannot be suprised that its there considering how long the series has been going and its consistent quality (brilliant reviews and brilliant sales time and time again). It clearly deserves to be there or there abouts.

Overall though I have to agree that these guys must have been on some crazy shit when they thought up this list :LOL: GTA3/VC and some NFL game in the top 5 best games ever.. that's mental!

G4 doesn't have a lot of credibility. I mean, I watch it quite a bit, and some of their shows/commentary are way off the mark.

That said, it's definitely possible to make a case for the Zelda series :D

Deepak said:
If sales/reviews/ are a factor FF series deserve to be there than anyone else....

If sales are a factor, Mario and Pokemon series deserve to be there more than anything else.

even sales wise I guess FF series has sold more than Mario....can anyone confirm?? How arrived first btw??

Zelda is probably one of the top 3 gaming series of all time. Honest to God, find a series that consistently amazing and I'll give you a cookie. A big chocolate chip cookie! And not one of those value cookies either!

I'm talking high-end, fudgy, masterfully baked, and retailing for over $50!

the day the silent hill series deserves to be in the top ten, is the day I stick my nads in a blender.. Obviously you never played the Jail levels in SH2(in which the pain of it makes the nad in a blender idea not sound so bad). it was all about great story, MANY of its Gameplay elements were crap.

Ozy: Hehe, yeah. Survival horror hasn't been quite the best genre of games.

I must say that the core gameplay of RE1 is superior to SH2's though. I also have to say that neither series is really worthy of the top 10 when you get down to it. They're great series.. and RE1 is still my favorite survival horror game (strengthened by its rebirth on GCN) but top 10? Nah.

Speaking of SH2:RD, I'm rather enjoying it. I'm starting to get that "RE1" vibe from it now.. but SH2 is a bit more mysterious and somewhat creepier in a few ways.

CaptainHowdy said:
the day the silent hill series deserves to be in the top ten, is the day I stick my nads in a blender.. Obviously you never played the Jail levels in SH2(in which the pain of it makes the nad in a blender idea not sound so bad). it was all about great story, MANY of its Gameplay elements were crap.

The Jail level was one of the best, especially atmosphere wise... the outside part with the noose? The knock in the washroom stall? EEK.

CaptainHowdy said:

I finished SH2 few days ago only.... :LOL:

hey SH series definitely deserve to be in top 10....it is one of its own kind...and look at SH in totality...the entire package! It successfully creates an incredible environment not achieved by any other game...

and btw what are those crap gameplay elements!??

Eternal Darkness is the best Survival Horror game ever made. Resident Evil and Silent Hill = Garbage IMO, starting with the controls...

Blade said:
I must say that the core gameplay of RE1 is superior to SH2's though.

How so? The controls are worse. The camera is worse. It's not like the puzzles are significantly better. The only thing it has going for it is big guns.

Best-playing survival horror? Eternal Darkness, no doubt about it. It's the only one that you're not spending the game fighting the controls and camera.

OT, but I haven't seen you at Cloudchaser lately. Busy? :p

Deepak said:
even sales wise I guess FF series has sold more than Mario....can anyone confirm?? How arrived first btw??

FF sold around 40M, more or less the same as Zelda, Mario sold more (way more) than 100M

Nintendo claims 160M for Mario, but I do not know if they count the franchise as a whole or only the plaformers.

What about Star Control, dammit!?

Notice how everything they picked just released a sequel or will do so soon? Boosting sales, much? It's a nice addition to any box being sold, "Best Game Series Ever", bla, bla, bla.

I'm very glad DOOM got the recognition it deserves :D

Zelda too.

And while some people may not like Tetris, it really is an absolutely brilliant concept and one of the most addictive games ever made. I mean, jeeze, how hard can it be to fit blocks together to form solid rows? ;)

I also have to add that I disagree about GTA3/VC being that high up; I'd put Pokémon above that (the games are excellent examples of well-built, solid RPG gameplay, regardless what the cartoon and horrific merchandising would lead you to believe). Also IMO Metroid deserves some strong mention, somehow.

Madden... well, consider that about 3/4 of PS2 owners probably own a Madden game. :) And as far as sports games go, Madden is pretty well designed, and really does seem like real American Football (which makes it even more boring for me ;)) but oh well, I didn't write the list.

If sales/reviews/ are a factor FF series deserve to be there than anyone else....

I don't see why, looking at reviews Zelda wins out easily, and in sales Zelda and FF are around the same level.

Back