Grand Theft Auto IV trailer: now online

The real question, to me, is will they be able to innovate the series? There have been so many releases of the same formula, that more than other genres perhaps, this series may get punished seriously for not innovating.

I am guessing they may manage to do so, but at the same time I'd wish they'd gone for a whole new IP first, something like they did with Bully.

EDIT: I agree Amsterdam would be a good choice, although it wouldn't be the only game doing that.

Maybe they will invent a European city that is an amalgam of the best bits of several European cities.

My number one choice would be New Orleans though ... ;)

Yes, after.
You know, i was thinking the same thing. After 6 years of gta IMHO the series has gotten stale. My guess is that they will try to make it more realistic this time around to freshen things up a bit. They also need to stop relying on shock value and release a great game. Contrary to the reviews, i would have given gta vice/san an. a 7, not factoring the soundtracks.

The real question, to me, is will they be able to innovate the series? There have been so many releases of the same formula, that more than other genres perhaps, this series may get punished seriously for not innovating.

Well, you can sort of see where they were headed with San Andreas with you having to manage your character. It's a blending of The Sims with GTA. While it isn't a true innovation but more of an extension, I think we'll see a much bigger focus on that merging of those two game types. And perhaps we'll see a much more robust online multiplayer as an extension of the co-op mode of San Andreas.

1920s-1930s... prohibition era with mobsters and all that!

That could be kind of neat. I definitely wouldn't mind another country though.

1920s-1930s... prohibition era with mobsters and all that!

Mafia :LOL: ;)
mafia_ss1.jpg

It'll be Berlin during World War II! Think Medal Of Honor: That Dude Stole My Rifle!
I'm sure that should reinvigorate the franchise alright!

@Ostepop/Nerve -- how was Mafia? Completely forgot about it (from Take2, no less!)... from what I recall of what I saw of it, it didn't grab me.

I think the slums/tropics of Brazil (rio/amazon) would be cool.

That could be cool!

@Ostepop/Nerve -- how was Mafia? Completely forgot about it (from Take2, no less!)... from what I recall of what I saw of it, it didn't grab me.

Its one of the few free roaming games were the story actually was good, and imo, it was a great game, especially for its time.

Gamerrankings.com shows a 90% average rating =)

Yeah, not to take this thread too far off topic, but I absolutely loved Mafia. It grabbed me way more than GTA ever did. It just felt like you were part of the world, whereas GTA felt like an arcade game, fun in small doses but nothing too special.

With that in mind, I hope GTA comes up with something a bit different to their last few titles. Something set elsewhere than the US (or resembling the US) with twisting streets and different types of car would be good. I agree with whoever suggested Russia as a good setting.

I agree with whoever suggested Russia as a good setting.

We're going to find out the local soon enough but Russia does sound cool. Only thing is that other than Red Square I don't see any eye candy in that sort a' game, though a bribe system alone w/advanced AI would be quite gnarls sir. (Just the stories I've heard from brokers/ securities couriers in Moscow is hilarious/interesting in itself).

How about a GTA: Spring Break?.....You can just imagine the debauchery developers could cram into that game...lol.....From "free-spirited" girls, pissed-off locals, to fighting drunken frat guys......get a tropical locale and you'd have yourself an amusing game... ;)

We're going to find out the local soon enough but Russia does sound cool. Only thing is that other than Red Square I don't see any eye candy in that sort a' game, though a bribe system alone w/advanced AI would be quite gnarls sir. (Just the stories I've heard from brokers/ securities couriers in Moscow is hilarious/interesting in itself).

Well I would only make two points here. Moscow != Russia, and none of the previous games had anything particularly special eye candy wise about them either. If anything, Red Square and the Palace is more impressive than anything I saw in GTA3 or GTA:VC (Never played SA, so can't comment).

Back