Will racing games look like this on the next batch of consoles?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18147&type=mov

if this can be done realtime, in-engine on the next round of consoles early in the next decade, well, I'll be smiling ear to ear.

now tell me there is NO raytracing in that trailer, because I know raytracing probably isn't going to be done even on the next set of consoles.

how much processing power and RAM do you graphics guys think will be needed to allow those graphics to be realtime, in-game? be they replays & external camera view.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=18147&type=mov

if this can be done realtime, in-engine on the next round of consoles early in the next decade, well, I'll be smiling ear to ear.

now tell me there is NO raytracing in that trailer, because I know raytracing probably isn't going to be done even on the next set of consoles.

how much processing power and RAM do you graphics guys think will be needed to allow those graphics to be realtime, in-game, be they replays & external camera view ?

Yes, I think that's a very good target for about what next gen will look like. Clearly a "generational gap".

Next gen consoles should have maybe 2GB RAM and about 8X the processing power of this gen, as usual.

A overclocked G80 is probably around 3X the rendering power of todays consoles (assuming the cards in todays are slightly below X1950/7900GTX level, which is very fair). And of course, we have several years left.. Each year and a half or so will bring a new doubling of power in PC cards.

And of course, we have several years left.. Each year and a half or so will bring a new doubling of power in PC cards.

Assuming the GPU vendors find more enthusiast to fund their research by buying liquid-nitrogen-cooled, $1200 cards with 2 GB of RAM... given the bleak landscape of PC gaming - there's Crysis and... and... maybe the occasional consoe port? - I doubt this very much.

Assuming the GPU vendors find more enthusiast to fund their research by buying liquid-nitrogen-cooled, $1200 cards with 2 GB of RAM... given the bleak landscape of PC gaming - there's Crysis and... and... maybe the occasional consoe port? - I doubt this very much.

Uh yes. Do you think Nvidia wont make a succesor to 8800GTX, and then after that? Of course they will.
Yeah the state of PC gaming sucks but...

Uh yes. Do you think Nvidia wont make a succesor to 8800GTX, and then after that? Of course they will.

Yer thats why I got myself a xbox 360 instead of a computer upgrade...
i'll wait till 9900gtx comes out.

Ford introduce new cars every year, but they aren't 2x the horsepower of the previous model - due to limitations of the roads, speed limits and price of gas there simply isn't mass demand for 1000 hp cars.

Given that the price and power requirements of high-end PC GPUs are getting absolutely ridiculous, and the PC market is drying up very, very fast (DX10 uptake is not slow, it's glacial - even Crysis is based on a DX9 engine with DX10 acceleration features here and there, as opposed to a top-to-bottom reliance on DX10 featrues), I can't see PC GPUs doubling in power every year for the next 5 years.

Ford introduce new cars every year, but they aren't 2x the horsepower of the previous model - due to limitations of the roads, speed limits and price of gas there simply isn't mass demand for 1000 hp cars.

Given that the price and power requirements of high-end PC GPUs are getting absolutely ridiculous, and the PC market is drying up very, very fast (DX10 uptake is not slow, it's glacial - even Crysis is based on a DX9 engine with DX10 acceleration features here and there, as opposed to a top-to-bottom reliance on DX10 featrues), I can't see PC GPUs doubling in power every year for the next 5 years.

Thats assuming the GPU design motivations, goals and constraints remain consistent for the next few years..

To be honest I highly doubt they will.. GPUs nowadays are just getting too expensive, hot and power hungry.. Such factors have been pretty much ignored by the GPU manufacturers for far too lang and if they truely wish to see GPU performance gains carry forward some fundamental changes in the design decisions regards future GPUs need to be made..

Otherwise we'll start to see the casual market for PC games grow and grow (as PC component manufacturers like Intel continue to ship wave after wave of sh***y performance integrated solutions to the mainstream, saturating the market with systems that can barely run minesweeper let alone the latest next-gen FPS or RTS game) and retail sales for high performance titles plummet, forcing the developers to make every PC title multiplatform (porting to consoles) in order to stay profitable..

Well, funny, they historically have done just that. Are you arguing G80, released in November 2006 is not roughly double G70? Was G70 double NV40?

By my calculations, Nvidia will have a new chip in Spring 2008. Care to take any guesses at performance increase? Hint: If you guess 20%, you're wrong to the low side, and I'll bet money on it.

And, they will continue, until process shrinks stop it. Actually, even process shrinks aren't the deciding factor, as Nvidia doubled transistor counts on 90nm.

If I say that PC cards wont keep doubling, I might as well say PS4 is going to be a very small improvement on PS3.

I don't think we will see anything close in a multi-platform game like this... however, I think Motorstorm 2 will bring us closer to this type of quality.

I don't think we will see anything close in a multi-platform game like this... however, I think Motorstorm 2 will bring us closer to this type of quality.

hahahaha

seriously.. no. Just like the E3 2005 Motorstorm video isn't achievable by a longshot

very unimpressed, i had originally thought that cg trailer was in engine and was blown away. the game now looks like a marginally improved pc racer. gt hd blows this out of the water by a considerable margin.

ranger if ur pegging the consoles as just under a 1950, and the g80 isnt 2x as fast as a 1950 overall, how do u get that its 3s faster than the consoles.

I'm more into the draw distace, frame rate and control of a racing game than the lighting...

most of the time, I'm to busy trying to keep my lead in the race to even notice the rest of the graphical stuff :/

very unimpressed, i had originally thought that cg trailer was in engine and was blown away. the game now looks like a marginally improved pc racer. gt hd blows this out of the water by a considerable margin.

how could you think the prerendered CG trailer was in-engine? It just screamed prerendered in every way.

ranger if ur pegging the consoles as just under a 1950, and the g80 isnt 2x as fast as a 1950 overall, how do u get that its 3s faster than the consoles.

Xenos and RSX are both well under the performance of R580 in many areas, although Xenos has some tricks up its sleeve. the G80 and R600 are both far more powerful than the current consoles GPUs. but how much remains to be seen.

that said, next-gen consoles GPUs (Xbox 720, PS4) should be an entire generation beyond G80, R600 and their refreshes.

how could you think the prerendered CG trailer was in-engine? It just screamed prerendered in every way.

Xenos and RSX are both well under the performance of R580 in many areas, although Xenos has some tricks up its sleeve. the G80 and R600 are both far more powerful than the current consoles GPUs. but how much remains to be seen.

that said, next-gen consoles GPUs (Xbox 720, PS4) should be an entire generation beyond G80, R600 and their refreshes.

thats why i was so blown away.

Uh..what does the this CGI trailer have anything to do with GT-HD?

From the OP we're discussing if that CG trailer is possible in realtime next generation.

Uh..what does the this CGI trailer have anything to do with GT-HD?

From the OP we're discussing if that CG trailer is possible in realtime next generation.

thank you for addressing that Capeta, much appreciated.

I was just about to try to get this thread back on-topic. it's not about Killzone or GT-HD.
It is specifically about the Colin McRae DIRT CGI trailer, whether or not it will be possible in realtime on Xbox 720 and PS4.

but you basicly did it for me :)

Back