Sound Cards

LunchBox

Regular
I'm just wondering what's the state of sound cards...

i don't really see any updates and stuff anymore compared to a few years before.

are they being phased out to be replaced by on board audio?

Onboard audio is insanely more popular.

Just think: gamers are the only people who will be interested in a card that offers gaming advantages. Casual users are certainly not going to both with an X-Fi. Most non-gamers (hell, gamers too) don't even know what a sound card is, let alone why they'd need one.

And most gamers I know couldn't care less about environmental audio effects or even positioning. I think that unless you've been spoiled by hearing a surround setup over the years, you just don't think there's enough benefit.

Me, I swear by my little 4.1 setup at home. I think it adds so much to gaming. But I'll tell ya that I can't really tell the difference between a 1998 SBLive! and my 2003 Audigy 2 ZS. They both make the same sounds in most games and have quite good quality. Unless you load up something that actually uses EAX 3 or 4 really well.

What disgusts me the most is when game devs cut audio short. Like Doom3, for ex. Doom3's audio has compression artifacts right at the main menu! WTF! Same with UT2003 and 4. They used like OGG @ 64kbps! That's ridiculous and tells me how much some game devs don't care about audio. You can't benefit from a high-end sound card if the game's assets are crap.

I think the perceived quiet is a combination of Creative's domination and tendency towards stagnation. By this latter, I mean sticking with the same hardware for so long, and when finally providing a jump into new hardware technologies, doing so out of sync with the rest of the industry's "new shiny things" (i.e., not getting behind PCI-e, a combination of Vista's short circuit of EAX and migration issues in driver support for it, that type of thing). This is a big contrast to the CPUs and GPUs, for example.

There is news, though:

There are some recent C-Media Oxygen based sound cards that have become available (there are several, do a search for "Oxygen HD sound" or something).

There is also something coming from Asus, the Xonar D2 & D2X, which seem targeted at filling in exactly where Creative falls short: The D2X is PCI-e, and there seem to be rumblings of some sort of special efforts towards drivers, which would seem to indicate Vista as a priority. What is unclear to me at this point is whether it is "just another" Oxygen HD effort (high quality sound capabilities and making some advances in home theater functionality), or if it also has some more advanced signals processing hardware so it will actually compete with X-Fi on all fronts. One mention, on the level of rumor still AFAICS, seems to indicate 3D position hardware sound processing, so things might liven up soon.

thanks for the input guys!
i really appreciate it!

thanks for the suggestion, i'll defnitely check out "oxygen hd sound"!

Back