600,000 PS3's sold on European launch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499841.stm

The PlayStation 3 console has broken UK sales records with more than 165,000 machines sold in the first two days of release, say analysts Chart Track.

More than a million consoles were shipped across Europe on launch day last week with 600,000 sold.

Sony is hoping to retake its title as the console market leader, as Microsoft and Nintendo head the next-gen race.

Meanwhile, games firm Namco Bandai has said it is to use the PS3's Cell chip in arcade machines.

Microsoft sold 71,000 Xbox 360 consoles during its UK launch weekend, while Nintendo sold 105,000 Wii machines.

But both companies offered limited stock to retailers, which led to shortages.

Ray Maguire, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment UK said the figures were a vote of confidence in the machine.

"Having broken the record for launch sales, we are now replenishing retail stock across the country," he said
600,000 sold in just days is pretty good imo.

i didn't see this posted and i think it deserves its own thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: one
Where did they get their numbers? I would like some concrete evidence. We know Chart Track confirmed 165k for UK (Chart Track did not give the 600k number) which is great but the rest of PAL had a pretty average turnout.

Fantastic news. Looks like this may be a tight race for next-gen domination afterall. With Sony taking Europe, Nintendo taking Japan and MS taking the US. Should be interesting.

lets hope for sony there is no backlash now, most of those sales are preorders of many months old

[France] PS3 fastest selling console launch ever!

Despite a launch evening spoiled, the sales of the PS3 for Sony starts up on great with 600,000 sold consoles in two days in Europe.
In France, the figure confirmed by Georges Fornay, president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of SCE Europe, rises to 78,000 PS3 on the same period of two days. France positions itself behind England and its 165,000 unities, but gets ahead of Spain and respectively third and fourth Germany (the amount again are not known). This is 24% better than the PS2 had done with "only" 63,000 sales in two days. Still according to Georges Fornay, the cape of the 100,000 should be attained during the weekend.
For Sony, this would be the biggest success for all consoles in France. Still according to the builder the Playstation 3 and its 78,000 units does better than the Wii and the Xbox 360, with respectively 75,000 and 49,000 flowed consoles in two days. The scarcity is not there, but to this rhythm, the console risks being very quickly in stock rupture in most of the stores.

Link is right here

Amazing, because the eye witness reports stated something 100% different.

Sony didn't sell out? That's not that great really IMO. It doesn't appear as if the EU situation is going to turn things around for them until the price drops and some big hitters like FF, MGS, and GT come out.

Well, there wasn't any supply limitations. That helps quite a bit with launch numbers. Let's see what they can sustain.

True, but did you hear all the horror stories about the PS3 and the launch? Xboat and that one dude standing in line? It went from the worst launch in recent history to the best. It's just crazy how the tables have turned.

Many sales are online now, why go waiting during hours in the cold? ;)
Doesn't surprise me, contrary to some of my fellow french citizens :)

you really think sony COULD sell out when they shipped 1.3 mill consoles to europe? (i just trew a number there)

fact is, some people will always bitch about launchfigures :idea:

Can anyone answer my question? This is the only site that has claimed 600k sold. With UK being the biggest market in EURO and with 165k sold there, that leaves 435k for the rest of EURO. With reports with only a decent consumer turnout in the first few days (by the time the article was posted), it's a bit hard for me to accept this.

I need proof ;)

Back