Assassin's Creed - New Interview

Ive tried that. Do you walk really slow? Walk straight thru, or with the people? Hold it down the entire time?

edit nevermind. Held the button down the whole time, and walked right thru. For some reason, I thought you had to press it for each person you were trying to pass. Sometimes the little things make you feel retarded.

Ive tried that. Do you walk really slow? Walk straight thru, or with the people? Hold it down the entire time?

edit nevermind. Held the button down the whole time, and walked right thru. For some reason, I thought you had to press it for each person you were trying to pass. Sometimes the little things make you feel retarded.
Hah! I did the same thing & was like (what the hell?) Took me a bit to figure out to hold the button down. The fighting is a bit of a pain to get down as well. Pick pocketing also I had to try a couple times before I got it. Guess you get used to button mashing over the years & then a game comes along with a bit more finesse required.

Sure, but triple buffering only helps avoid the latency of vsync by allowing the GPU to contenue to rendering the next frame rather than having to wait for the back buffer to clear on vsync.
Yup, TB avoids that latency, so framerate stays the same between TB w/sync and DB w/o sync.

However, without V-sync, new data starts going to the screen the instant that the frame is finished (even though it doesn't start from the top of the screen, hence the tearing). With V-sync, the data sits around the TV is ready. That difference is the latency Fafalada is talking about.

In the end, though, I agree with you. It shouldn't be an issue.

That difference is the latency Fafalada is talking about.
I'm pretty sure he was suggesting that triple buffering adds latency beyond vsync, and I've come across quite a few people under the mistaken impression that triple buffering induces "an extra frame" of latency. Besides, the "input delay" without vsync is only less if your input result apears on the bottom potion screen, with a big tear between that and what you otherwise would have got to see the full frame of up top. Surely that difference isn't worth giving up tear free visuals for, and I'm still at a loss as to how a few MB is consider too high of a price to pay for doing vsync right.

Well... I have been hit by a bus-load of work last 2-3 days. Practically disappeared from the net. Now that I am back... what's the verdict guys ? I will be getting it tomorrow regardless of what the (un)reviewers said. :)

Some opinion from people who have played it for real^H^H^H^Hfun would be good to prep me. I intend to build some long term relationship with the game you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My impressions

To quote what I wrote somewhere else:
me said:
From what I played (first 3 assassinations), the targets are set up differently (which has an impact on the strategies you can employ to approach them) but what you do in the end is up to you.
After the main kills there has always been a huge chase for me (but those were half of the fun — the controls, the free-running / scaling mechanic all comes together in these moments). But some informants also asked me to perform proper stealth kills (which aren't totally easy).

As for difficulty, I find it about right. I died about 4-5 times so far, but the last checkpoint is never too far back (as they seem to occur after you've either travelled a long distance or achieved something).

And climbing up a rooftop without breaking a sweat and walking towards an archer guarding up there, him warning you that you have no business here, then you breaking into a sprint and suddenly lurching at his throat and killing him with the hidden blade before he can alarm others = fun! ;)

I found out that the "collect the flags" missions from the informants actually form are a proper route for a race through the city, which — with the free running — is properly awesome!
It's like a city checkpoint racing game!

Re: Comments on stupid AI
The things about the "stupid AI" is that it works by clearly defined rules (which are conveyed to you early on). That's more a question of game design than incompetent AI programming.
Yes, it leads to perceived stupid behaviour, but it also means that you know at all times what you can get away with, and what you can't. So I think that the way the AI works in this game is definitely not to its detriment.
The rooftop gardens are a game design choice. Yes, it is somewhat unbelievable but it's got nothing to do with "stupid AI". As an aside, they only work if you enter one unseen, e.g. if you already have plenty of guards on the rooftops, it becomes rather difficult to slip into one unnoticed.

Having said all that, I don't think that the criticisms (mainly the repetitiveness) of the 7/10 reviewers is invalid but they are probably exacerbated by things inherent in the review process.

I'm enjoying it a lot, and I'm doing quite a bit of gawping at at the scenery / cities... :D

I have bought it on the 360 just to be on the safe side.

The game itself is visually stunning but I did tend to notice some minor tearing. The AI didn’t bother me that much. The missions on the other hand I must agree are very repetitive. To be honest after a couple of hours I came a little bored.

Even in the assets there seems to be repetition. Pick pock somebody and you see the same animation over and over. Rescue somebody and hear the same dialog over and over. Even the AC bureau’s are in every city the same. Maybe I’m just nitpicking but it was something that I noticed.

It’s a shame because I have the feeling with some creativity regarding the missions, the game would be fantastic. Personally I would give it a 7. I don’t know how some reviewers were giving this game a 9 or even a 10.

Played it for about 5hours so far. I started tonight with the intention of just an hour and here I am, at 2am! First of all, the game is absolutely beautiful. The animations are so slick! I took the controls well and they feel good.

The game keeps reminding me of Crackdown and that's a good thing. Lots of climbing and jumping. I'm just on my 2nd assisnation because I spent so much damn time getting the View points and side quests done in the first city along with the view points in The Kingdom.

Ubisoft, take a bow. You got a fan in me! Here's hoping it does really well. Once you get used to the fighting system you can pull off some real cinematic kills and combos. Ofcourse nothing beats the jump a thon.

As for downs, I saw rare tearing, a couple of instances of framerate drops and pop in. Funny enough the pop in wasn't with large object but subtle things like the fruit at a shop in the city.

Ok, I think I get the idea. They probably spent a lot of time on the environment and vista points, but the gameplay and some NPC aspects suffered somewhat. Overall, the package is still attractive to people who gravitate towards its strength, but disappointing to folks who wanted an all polished game. Canned/boring NPC animation is the norm though. it may just mean that the other, grander, aspects of the game simply makes the repetitive animation and dialog more noticeable. I am most interested in their crowd AI anyways.

Comparing to my third person action/adventure game library...
Lair have similar (more severe) problems due to its scope. HS is more limited in scope (less open), but delivers a very unique and satisfying gameplay + movie experience. Ratchet and Clank currently still takes the cake for its very active environment and extremely rich and fun gameplay. Can't wait to see Uncharted in action since it seems to be polished all around (I expect it to be a lesser game than R&C though).

IMHO, every action/adventure game fan should just pony up and buy AC :p
Since they have laid the groundwork for this release, I believe AC2 will be amazing.

I bought it last night. Up to now, (I'm at Damaskus) I can see no frame rate problems although there is a bit of tearing that is in no way distracting at least on my setup.
The game is fun, and the graphics are at times stunning. I don't really get the combat though and I constantly press the square button like an idiot... I'm never sure when I'll hit my opponent and when he'll parry. Perhaps it's just me, but combat seems a bit repetitive.

I haven't done any assassinations, I'm running around the city mostly. HDR in this game can be absolutelly amazing!!!

Well, I've done two and you get new moves and techniques. I actively overuse the counter technique as I hate button mashing and there are like ~7 animations per weapon for counters and fights tend to be more dramatic and fluid with its use.

You can pull of very nice combos. I can take down a whole squad of troops only taking 1 or 2 hit. I'm a counter puncher :)

IMHO, every action/adventure game fan should just pony up and buy AC :p
Since they have laid the groundwork for this release, I believe AC2 will be amazing.

If you're picking up, I'd strongly suggest reading the Penny-Arcade article posted earler. To me, it's like the ultimate "pre-tutorial" experience, with recommendations on how to play the game.

Some interesting comments I've read on the net really make me think this game has a slow, well executed complexity compared to most other games. As an example,
if you are fighting an archer, they'll shoot you with their arrows. Their arrows are finite in number, so they pull them from their quiver. How cool is that? Baddies with limited ammo. Anyway, if they run out of ammo, not all archers carry a sword... so if you approach one who has been trying to kill you, and then runs out of ammo, he'll panic, look really scared, then drop to his knees begging for his life! How cool is that?

if you are fighting an archer, they'll shoot you with their arrows. Their arrows are finite in number, so they pull them from their quiver. How cool is that? Baddies with limited ammo. Anyway, if they run out of ammo, not all archers carry a sword... so if you approach one who has been trying to kill you, and then runs out of ammo, he'll panic, look really scared, then drop to his knees begging for his life! How cool is that?

Show no mercy! I love the jumping assassinate. Just looks so damn cool everytime.

If you're picking up, I'd strongly suggest reading the Penny-Arcade article posted earler. To me, it's like the ultimate "pre-tutorial" experience, with recommendations on how to play the game.

That article actually scares me. The reviewers should apologize to the developers and publishers they screwed (How many victims so far ?).

I usually play games in short sessions over a few weeks. So I should be fine.

It's all over the UBI forums and offical playstation forum too.

At least we know it's poor coding rather than hardware issues on PS3 though.

Shame, I blame consoles with internet connections and HDDs, if this game was released on PS2 it would've been heavily bug tested and had all these bugs fixed before it was shipped.

There is apparently locking up issues on the 360 too, but who knows what is at fault there.

Shame, I blame consoles with internet connections and HDDs, if this game was released on PS2 it would've been heavily big tested and had all these bugs fixed before it was shipped.

You have to be kidding me. Many games were crashing on PS2 (Jak 2 was the worst offender).

Back