The spoiler laden BSG Season 3 season ender thread

It seems pretty straight forward to be honest, it goes back to "This has all happened before and it will all happen again".

It all comes down to how you define a Cylon, I'd say everyone in the fleet is a Cylon to some degree. 'Humans' in their base form, may not have not existed for hundreds of thousands of years. What we're seeing is that the Colonials have somehow forgotten their origins (originally created by humans long ways back), think they are 'human' (and what is human? created by god? lol) and have then gone on to create their own Cylons. Thus the whole exodus keeps repeating itself.

Maybe these 'final five' are somehow special in that they can retrace their roots, or have some memory of their true origins?

Cylons originally genetically engineered humans designed for space travel from earth to kobol? What kind of attributes would make a multi year space journey easy for a human. All depends on when and with what tech humans left earth... but its believable we will have huge strides in genetics before propulsion in the foreseeable future. How about a 22nd century earth faced with ecological devastation run by a faschist regime brought to power by said eco-social breakdown. Would they shy from eugenics or any genetic manipulation meant to help humanity survive an earth bound hecatomb? Hawkings warning comes to mind and would moreso under a bad scenario... If this is the world ai was originally brought into (assuming cylons were made by us earthlings) maybe they deemed it necessary to run us like gods vs openly enlightened advanced beings wanting to introduce us to their higher levels of tech and knowledge. Basically they dont trust us but dont want to see us dissapear as a species so repetive efforts by cylon cabal to inseminate their dna with ours? Who knows how long ago the 22 nd century is to them and how many and what kinds of attempts were made to save humanity from itself...

It seems pretty straight forward to be honest, it goes back to "This has all happened before and it will all happen again".

It all comes down to how you define a Cylon, I'd say everyone in the fleet is a Cylon to some degree. 'Humans' in their base form, may not have not existed for hundreds of thousands of years. What we're seeing is that the Colonials have somehow forgotten their origins. The first batch of Cylons were originally created by humans long ways back, but the current Colonials were created by the last Cylon revision. They think they are 'human' (and what is human? created by god? lol) and have then gone on to create their own Cylons. Thus the whole exodus keeps repeating itself.

Maybe these 'final five' are somehow special in that they can retrace their roots, or have some memory of their true origins?

BUT, this time the Exodus is different. The new version of Cylons have not managed to completely wipe out the last revision.

That would mean machine evolution is dead slow... Unless it always stalls at the first series of genetic or maybe even machine beings due to inevitable conflict with the humans or now cylon-human creators? Maybe we always end up having to wipe them out then live through an apocalypse-exodus to relive the rebuilding of a civilisation that ends up making cylons...

Starting to get matrixy. This would be the 3 iteration of the cyclical exodus since first inception lol...

But that presupposes some level of contact between "the five" and "Cylon central", doesn't it? And still isn't entirely an answer. There's no evidence that the rest of the Cylon fleet was ever ordered to take it easy on Galactica, and the odds were still incredibly against them. And, at the end of the day, to what end is the purpose of Galactica surviving with the Five on board to the Cylon's interest?
Now I'm not working under the assumption that there is ANY connection between the badguy cylons and the final 5, in fact part of my working theory is the final 5 are sort of a fifth column. More like the Foundation than Riverworld/Lifehouse setting, with the final 5 being sort of the psychohistorians who turn out to actually be who started humanity and have been guiding it along.

Now granted that's a stretch from hell, but it could explain it. Humanity was created and eventually created the cylons, who turned on them and then fled and developed themselves into the human/cylon badguys who figured out that THEIR original design is actually the same/very similar to their "gods" who created humanity, who created them.

Thus Starbuck is a cylon, Earth is humanity's cradle and final sanctuary, and those four battlestars are about to get their asses handed to them by some seriously cool looking Earth Battlestars.

Imagine a few squadrons of advanced Vipers, all piloted by Starbuck....

BTW-Couldn't the clones just surgically modify their appearances to look different? Couldn't there be more than one Tigh/Anderson/etc on board and they just happen to look different, or could there have been one of each on each battlestar?

That would mean machine evolution is dead slow... Unless it always stalls at the first series of genetic or maybe even machine beings due to inevitable conflict with the humans or now cylon-human creators? Maybe we always end up having to wipe them out then live through an apocalypse-exodus to relive the rebuilding of a civilisation that ends up making cylons...

Evolution can no longer continue in it's natural form, to further evolve, to get closer to perfection, the Colonials have hit this cycle. But now the cycle seems to be coming to an end...

Starting to get matrixy. This would be the 3 iteration of the cyclical exodus since first inception lol...

Third? Or 3 billionth? ;)

Anyway that's my theory.

:neutral:
Now I'm not working under the assumption that there is ANY connection between the badguy cylons and the final 5, in fact part of my working theory is the final 5 are sort of a fifth column. More like the Foundation than Riverworld/Lifehouse setting, with the final 5 being sort of the psychohistorians who turn out to actually be who started humanity and have been guiding it along.

Damn you! You almost give me hope.:neutral: I'd feel better if I felt that the writers were at least as well read in "the history of SF" as you and I. :LOL:

:neutral:

Damn you! You almost give me hope.:neutral: I'd feel better if I felt that the writers were at least as well read in "the history of SF" as you and I. :LOL:
:LOL:

It's weird talking to someone who gets all the references. ;)

They could pull it off G. Kind of long odds right now and my own feelings aren't all that optimistic after the last 3 shows, excluding the finale.

If they can pull it all together next season, this episode was absolutely mind-blowing...but it would take some seriously strong writing/creativity to do it.

Then again, BSG has shown itself capable of blindingly good writing/creativity. Too much so to say that all hope is lost.

If he didnt resurrrect Im sure they cloned a new one to make up for it :p...

CHRTH at aicn has some good speculation as well on BSG.

Heres how the series ends :

john Carmack removes his VR helmet looks at the camera and says "I think id software's new Battlestar Galactica game is ready to ship"

It's worth noting that the "T" connection of the first letter of the surnames of the confirmed four links to Starback (Kara Thrace)

Not sure about Starbuck's husband's name off the top of my head though.

Oh the irony for the chief, after all his grief with Sharon in S1. :cry:

Awww man... just watched the last three episodes. Where to start?

Well for starters, if I had that ghey rock music going on in my head, I'd go nutty too.

Secondly, that trial. *yawn* yes very relevant to modern politics thanks very much <blah>. Iraq references all over again zzzZZZ.

Setting up the four for a one-by-one revelation spread through the whole of the next series... very clever, that'll stretch things out for at least another dozen episodes. Spinning out who's the fifth of the five is good for at least another dozen.

Starbuck re-appears in the last episode? Yah well that wasn't at all predictable. :LOL: D'ya think she's a) going to be Apollo's hallucination as 6 is/was to Baltar? Or do you think maybe she'll turn out to be Adama Snr's daughter? Ho ho.

*sigh* if only I cared about the characters any more. Why am I expected to believe that yet another bust-up between Adama Snr and Adama Jnr is going to end up going anywhere? Why am I expected to believe that any loyal human isn't a closet Cylon? Why am I expected to believe that any character who apparently dies won't re-appear in mysterious circumstances a couple of episodes later?

Good drama is dramatic because it's believable, and doesn't mess about with too much implausibility.

Oh, btw, and Dee leaving Lee was pretty freakin' weak too, after all they've been thru. They spent a whole 15 seconds or so on that? :rolleyes: Part of what they did was play a couple "better return to our roots" cards with Lee in that episode. Put him back in pure opposition to his father, and get him free to be chasing Starbuck again.

Back