Project Gotham Racing 4

eea923b5-54c6-4a2d-9263-f0d263f5740.jpg

Finally a decent car instead of all the jap crap and crappy supercars :D

So this came out two days ago in North America, right? I've been chomping at the bit waiting for this thread to go nuts with player opinion but it seems either everyone's too busy playing it, or I got the release date wrong (taking it from IGN). It's not out here in the UK until the 12th, so I'm relying on this thread for my informed play fix :smile:

I got it yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to play much, I started on the cars, the handling is good, not as arcade as Sega Rally as the cars don't float not as sim as Forza is a good mix. The graphics are far better than PGR3 which I also had.
And not every race has weather effects like someone said, I played the first championship which is 3 races, and I only got 1 lap of rain on the very last lap of the last race, and it wasn't a heavy rain.
You start low on the career and have to build up your driver thru the ranks so it should be an interesting change.

So this came out two days ago in North America, right? I've been chomping at the bit waiting for this thread to go nuts with player opinion but it seems either everyone's too busy playing it, or I got the release date wrong (taking it from IGN). It's not out here in the UK until the 12th, so I'm relying on this thread for my informed play fix :smile:

While not from this forum, I did read a very positive review from a picky user who was totally against the bikes... he loves the game.

Holly shiats!!! This game is totally awesome :D

I don't know what exactly makes this game something less than a 9 honestly. The physics were improved and are what I believe is a mix of both PGR3 and PGR2, which makes it really awesome and very fun to drive. Bikes, something I was not entirely sold on, are really fun too and just add one more layer of variety to an already diverse game.

We have 10 cities/locations with UNBELIEVABLE weather effects, a great career mode with all kinds of ENTERTAINING challenges, and improved garage mode (although I wish there were more), Geometry Wars Waves, some customization, great music (catchy), a great online mode, the best photomode around, the best replays BY FAR, a great interface, and something PGR3 was missing--a sense of achievement--, great sound effects and.......................

.................The best graphics on any racing game out there right now and in the near future! This game looks jaw-dropping to say the least. Everything looks fantastic, but you probably already know that, so what details you might not know? Weather effects are really something, just wow--and no, you really don't know. Tire smoke looks WAY above anything I've seen in any other racing game, even that of Need for Speed (too damn fake). I wont' elaborate much into here but....

Shanghai + Rain + in-car camera = *jaw drops*.......+ replay? *Jaw gets permanent damage.*

Only time will tell which is better, PGR2 or PGR4.

And a fairly positive 8.7 from GameTrailers.

[gt]25838[/gt]

Major complaint is that it doesn't bring anything new to the genre. But they say it hits the simy-arcade blend, is deep, looks great, and lacks any major faults.

PGR 4 Soundtrack said:
Project Gotham Racing 4 soundtrack:

* 120 Days - Come Out Come Down Fade Out Be Gone
* Auto Aggression - The Sky Is Not Yours
* Beethoven - Symphony No. 5
* Bloc Party - Prayer
* Blue Scholars - Sagaba (Remix)
* Chick Corea Elektric Band - Check Blast
* !!! - Heart of Hearts
* Covenant - The Men
* Crystal Method - Keep Hope Alive (There Is Hope Mix)
* Disturbed - Stricken
* E Da Boss - Go Left
* Edge of Dawn - Elegance
* Flesh Field - Forgotten Trauma
* Goldfrapp - Lovely 2 C U (T. Raumschmiere Remix)
* Goose - Black Gloves
* Grieg - In the Hall of the Mountain King
* Grits - Bobbin' Bouncin'
* Hot Chip - Over And Over
* Hummel - Rondo in E Flat
* Incubus - Light Grenades
* Insekt - Isolated
* Kaiser Chiefs - Ruby
* Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - The Bridge
* Kittie - Funeral for Yesterday
* Lady Sovereign - Blah Blah
* LCD Soundsystem - Watch the Tapes
* Lily Allen - Take What You Take
* Liszt - Hungarian Waltz No. 2
* Lupe Fiasco - The Instrumental
* Maximo Park - Our Velocity
* Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E Minor
* Metro - Mr Fruity
* Mind.In.A.Box. - Identity
* Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusic
* Mozart - Sonata - alla Turca
* My Chemical Romance - House of Wolves
* Natacha Atlas - Bathaddak
* Ojos De Brujo - Color
* Ojos De Brujo - Todo Tiende
* Pride and Fall - Border (Club Edit)
* Priestess - Everything That You Are
* Prophet Omega - Hit the Deck
* RImsky Korsakov - Flight of the Bumblebee
* Rotersand - DTL
* Russell Gunn - East St. Louis
* Saliva - King of the Stereo
* Seabound - Scorch the Ground (Rotersand Mix)
* Soma Rasa - One Hand High
* Squarepusher - Exciton
* The Pinker Tones - In Pea We Nuts
* The Roots - Here I Come
* The Shins - Australia
* TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me
* Wagner - The Ride of the Valkyries
* Wolfmother - Dimension
* Zeke - Ride to Live
* Zuco103 - Garganteiro

I don't think its as good as 2 but, better then 3. Although why anyone would use a game sountrack over their own playlist is beyond me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its as good as 2 but, better then 3. Although why anyone would use a game sountrack over their own playlist is beyond me! :)
Lazyness? ;)

I played split screen a little bit last night. Can't do my usual throw it hard into a corner and drift approach in heavy rain or snow. That will take a little getting used to. Bikes are a nice addition though I think they'll take some practice to get used to.

I don't remember if this was covered already in the thread, but are some of the maps nighttime only? Also, one pet peeve from PGR3 is there's no random track mode in multiplayer. It's a pain to manually switch tracks all the time. Still I plan to pick up my own copy of the game this weekend.

Picked it up last night.

First of all the driving system is NOT like PGR3. In PGR3, you were getting close to Ridge Racer territory but this feels more like a cross between PGR3 and Forza 2. You don't just slide out for no reason.

The game is very pretty. In motion, in pictures, whatever, the game looks great. I like the screen noise they added when you crash. That's pretty good.

Going into it, I expected the weather effects to be quite cheesy and a turn off. This is not the case. The effects actually do make the game even more fun. Props to bizzare for pullling that off.

Not all is perfect though. The difficulty is trying to get Golds and Platinums' is too much. Takes away from the fun if you ask me. Bikes will take some getting used to. I tried them a couple of times and it's interesting to say the least.

I heard about this one very cool achievement on OA:

Hint:
It is the licence plate for the deloren in Back to the future

Now guess what you have to do to get it?

Get hit by lighting while driving the deloren 88mph

OMG OMG OMG

Hint:

OMG OMG OMG

LOL! That ought to be interesting to see!

Hint:

OMG OMG OMG

AMAZING!

I am a little Speechless @the moment but that looks unreal... awesome

m5noblur.jpg

As beautiful as this game is, surprised it's not getting more attention! Not a lot of people buy it?

pgr4-5.jpg

1b032f86-8be3-4b6c-9204-bc42b9cac89.jpg

Ofscreen/in-game:

dsc04012lp8.jpg

That last shot and the one from CEO look pretty damn nice.

I have a feeling that GT5 isn't going to look so far ahead of the competition by the time it comes out. No doubt it'll be the best looking driving game, but probably only marginally so.

Back