"Pure and Correct AA"

Why would we want to average samples after gamma correction?
(btw, I found that swapping the order of tonemapping and averaging passes often produces extremely similar results, at least with a classic Reinhard's tone mapping operator..)

Because we want things to be linear in "screen light emittance" space. So any operation that changes the curve from a linear ramp, including the sRGB response of the monitor, has to be done before you average the samples.

I guess you could call correct coverage the most correct representation, but I don't think it matters much. I certainly wouldn't call it the best representation in terms of perceived quality.

Agreed. Graphics is all subjective anyway. That's why I reject the notion that it's all "science and math" and "no opinions". Ultimately it comes down to opinions.

Come to think about it, I realize my analog camera analogy sucked too. While the surface on the film reacts pretty much like I said (except that it's non-linear, which further breaks my analogy) it won't be a box filter there either but probably something closer to a Gaussian filter since there's an aperture, which means it'll bring in light from the surrounding area as well. With a pinhole camera that would work though. :) (If we ignore the fact that a zero size aperture would need infinite exposure time). Thinking more about it I think the "most correct representation" must be something that mimics the eye's behavior, and it's basically the same principles as in a camera. Perhaps that means Gaussian (or something close to it) would be the answer after all.

Again, highly subjective. This will be an interesting field to explore in D3D10.

I disagree with that operation order, but I think one source of disagreement is that we might interpret "linear color space" differently.

Yeah, that's what I figure. I think we're really agreeing. :)

Non-linear tone mapping is a special case that tries to introduce perception characteristics into this model. That's bound to raise problems, and I doubt there's a "correct" way of doing it. I'm not truly convinced tone-mapping should be non-linear at all.

Well, you can achieve much better quality with a non-linear mapping. It all comes down to what goals you have of course. If you try to mimic a camera the tonemapping operator should be something like this:
1 - 2^(-exposure * value)

When rendering or processing an image, you really can't take monitor response curve into account. There might even be no monitor attached.

Well, in that case it doesn't really matter what you do. :) However, if we're to take linear light into account as you talked about, then clearly we must take the monitor response into account if we want to be 100% correct, otherwise our photon linearity breaks. Of course, in practice we can just assume it's 2.2 and be happy with that. It'll look good enough in the vast majority of cases.

Because we want things to be linear in "screen light emittance" space.
It's the first time I think about this and I'm probably wrong..but I'm not entirely sure we want things to be linear in that way. Let's assume we are using alpha to coverage, this would mean that we are doing alpha blending/AA resolve after gamma correction, and this would give wrong results.
At the same time I can't see why AA samples are so special that we want to filter them after gamma correction while all the rest is resolved/blended/filtered before that 'pass'.
I'm not saying that you're wrong but I'm wondering which hw is applying gamma correction before AA resolve.

Because we want things to be linear in "screen light emittance" space. So any operation that changes the curve from a linear ramp, including the sRGB response of the monitor, has to be done before you average the samples.
Mapping to non-linear sRGB has to be done after the averaging. If you average two non-linear sRGB values you'll end up with an sRGB value that maps to brightness (amount of photons) lower than the average of the two brightnesses specified by the averaged values. The monitor response curve actually does the inverse mapping from sRGB to linear brightness values.

I like the point that several people made about monitors.

Mathematically the problem is not as simple as using a sinc function for the graphics filtering process and using infinite supersampling. That would only be true if you lived inside your computer.

There are actually 3 transforms that are relevant.

1) graphics card level
2) Monitor level
3) Eye response level

Each one will introduce aliasing (of different types) b/c each is not a perfect reconstruction of whatever signal they recieve. The transform between each is likely highly nonlinear, which is why it is indeed a bit of an art, since everyones monitor is different and everyones eyes are different.

There are actually 3 transforms that are relevant.

1) graphics card level
2) Monitor level
3) Eye response level

Each one will introduce aliasing (of different types) b/c each is not a perfect reconstruction of whatever signal they recieve. The transform between each is likely highly nonlinear, which is why it is indeed a bit of an art, since everyones monitor is different and everyones eyes are different.

Each level will have its own kind of distortion, but I don't really see how each level can introduce *aliasing* (meaning: introduce faux patterns due to the presence of frequency components above 1/2 of the sample frequency) ?

Well, this is assuming that the monitor has a resolution that exceeds the sample resolution.

Hmm. That raises the question: is it fair to assume that the eye is a continuous device or does it also have an inherent sample resolution? (You know, which this whole high school biology class business of little cones and pyramids in your eyeball that are connected to nerves and such.) ;)

A question: How jaggy is "jaggy" to Tom and is Tom's perception of "jagginess" the same as Dick's or Harry's?

Sorry for the interuption :) .

Nick said:
256x256 super sampling with a box filter would be close enough. But really clipping the polygon to pixel edges and computing the remaining area would probably be more efficient at that point...
Not if you animate it.

Well, here is the Box filter with 8x horizontal and 128x :!: vertical supersampling. So now, instead of jumping between 4/8 and 5/8, it will jump between something like 72/128 and 73/128.

I did a test with 10K samples per pixel - a box filter still looks like rubbish. Now if we could only explain that to ......

Well, in that case it doesn't really matter what you do. :) However, if we're to take linear light into account as you talked about, then clearly we must take the monitor response into account if we want to be 100% correct, otherwise our photon linearity breaks. Of course, in practice we can just assume it's 2.2 and be happy with that. It'll look good enough in the vast majority of cases.
Yes, you have to take monitor response into account. But only when you output the final image. Not while you're still rendering/processing it.

Rendering an image is counting photons, and there is no nonlinearity in counting. When you've finished rendering, the result is a description that tells you how many photons (of the represented color channels/wavelenghts) each individual pixel should emit. This description can be encoded (as sRGB for example) to make more efficient use of framebuffer bits. Up to that point, you need no knowledge whatsoever of the display hardware that is used to display the image.

When you want to display the image, you have to make sure that, if the description says "emit N photons for pixel A" and "emit 2*N photons for pixel B", the monitor will actually display pixel B twice as bright (physically, not perceptually) as pixel A. That is what the gamma/color correction LUT in the pixel output pipeline is for, which has to be calibrated for every monitor.

Hmm. That raises the question: is it fair to assume that the eye is a continuous device or does it also have an inherent sample resolution? (You know, which this whole high school biology class business of little cones and pyramids in your eyeball that are connected to nerves and such.) ;)
Dunno how much the cornea of normal people blurs, but mine has roughened a bit from a nasty virus infection (misdiagnosed as a bacterial one for about a week). So I have a build in continuous pre-filter.

Hmm. That raises the question: is it fair to assume that the eye is a continuous device or does it also have an inherent sample resolution?
Since the retina consists of individual receptor cells, it does sample, at around 120 cycles per degree foveally (at the center of the visual field).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the retina consists of individual receptor cells, it does sample, at around 120 cycles per degree foveally (at the center of the visual field).

One thing I overlooked: the receptors are unlikely to be in a nicely organized rectangular grid. Stochastic sampling! ;)

One thing I overlooked: the receptors are unlikely to be in a nicely organized rectangular grid. Stochastic sampling! ;)
Now if we get a stochastic display everything will look sweet. However I think the frame buffer might get a little more complex.

Why would you want to make your display stochaistic? Your eye's densest receptor locations might at a point in time be aligned with the display's least dense locations, and vice-versa. Your eye moves very quickly of course, so very small variations might not be noticeable; but it remains the case that your eye will more naturally focus on what looks bad than what looks good. And I dont think it's really 'noise' that a stochaistic display would be adding; it's just randomly affecting the 'precision', rather than the data. I could be wrong of course, but I still really don't see how this would help.

[EDIT]: I just realized that my answer wrt whether the eye is 'sampling' was rather incomplete, I'll reread some sections of this quite nice book and try posting something more accurate later today. Looking around on the web a bit too though, there do seem to be some excellent websites too, which seem so complete that it nearly terrifies me.

There is actual experimental evidence of aliasing in human vision using experimental lenses constructed from wavefront analysis that corrects for all of the imperfections in the eye, not including the cornea, lense, vitreous humour, shape of retina, etc There have also been experiments using adaptive optics (ala Keck telescope). These sorts of lenses can correct human vision down to 20/6. I remember reading a paper years ago in which a professional baseball player with unaided vision of 20/12, was analyzed and given custom engineered contact lenses which took his vision to 20/6. At this level, the subject reported aliasing effects in his vision (stairstepped edges, etc)

I've never really completely understood the motivation (or justification) for gamma correcting subpixels before downsampling. Sure, A+B != (A^2.2 + B^2.2)^-2.2, that is addition is not preserved. But there are lots of linear space additions going on throughout the shader pipeline as well as the framebuffer, and I don't see what makes framebuffer additive blends, or additive downsamples anymore "special" requiring non-linear space than say, a shader sampling multiple times from a map with a custom filter to produce a single color. It seems like anyone writing shaders trying to oversample and blend to avoid shader aliasing would want gamma corrected ADDs as well. And wouldn't the AF hardware have to use gamma correct blends as well? Can anyone explain why it's justified for edge-aliased downsampling *only*?

I think it's just a matter of not having any other option with downsampling. With shaders you can do any correction yourself if you want. A lot of the correction is done on the artwork side also, so sometimes there's no need for it in the shader. The other thing is that straight lines have periodic incorrectness without gamma correction, so not having it is a bigger problem for edge AA than for filtering most textures.

Gamma correct AA definately looks better, so I have no complaint with the status quo.

I've never really completely understood the motivation (or justification) for gamma correcting subpixels before downsampling. Sure, A+B != (A^2.2 + B^2.2)^-2.2, that is addition is not preserved. But there are lots of linear space additions going on throughout the shader pipeline as well as the framebuffer, and I don't see what makes framebuffer additive blends, or additive downsamples anymore "special" requiring non-linear space than say, a shader sampling multiple times from a map with a custom filter to produce a single color. It seems like anyone writing shaders trying to oversample and blend to avoid shader aliasing would want gamma corrected ADDs as well. And wouldn't the AF hardware have to use gamma correct blends as well? Can anyone explain why it's justified for edge-aliased downsampling *only*?
It's not. It's just more important for AA downsampling as the artifacts are more obvious. The only reason it hasn't been done throughout the whole pipeline (before texture filtering, during blending) before is that it's expensive. But D3D10 requires support for sRGB formats and proper conversion (R8G8B8A8, BC1/2/3).

I wouldn't call it gamma correction though, it's conversion between sRGB and lRGB.

Don't know if anyone it's interested, but in the new AMD papers I finally saw for the first time the syntax that lets you access AA samples in the PS.

DX10 TIPS AND TRICKS said:
Custom AA Resolves

Application can implement custom resolves in PS
Access to individual RT samples

Special syntax for accessing samples

Code:
// Declare MSAA texture with 4 samplesTexture2DMS<float4,4> t; 
// Load sample #0
a = t.Load(tc, 0); // tc–unnormalizedtex. coords 
// Load sample #1
b = t.Load(tc, 1);

Yeah I saw that too, but what I didn't see is if there's a way to query how many MSAA samples there are at a single pixel... or whether you just have to resolve them all which seems rather wasteful (considering that it's supposed to be MSAA, no SSAA).

Back