Halo 3 legendary edition apparantly selling like hotcakes..

Certain series are more likely to be able to offer such an abnormally high sku (FF, Halo, MGS etc). Although I think its definetely making the statement that video games are much more profitable than a simple game in a box. Video game merchandising is still early in its market and has very high potential for mainstream adoption.

I know this is a game but I think it's more general console talk. Because I think it's a discussion on whether such higher priced editions will begin to prove more popular.

BTW, it's sold out at amazon and for those who dont know, it costs 129.95.

I think it got more to do with the audience Halo is directed at.

Maybe dumb question but how can it sell like hotcakes/sell out when the game isn't even done yet? :oops: :cool:

Besides I can't see it as anything but BAD that MS is releasing vastly overpriced boxes like this one. It's bound to set a horrible prescident for the future. Blizzard's collector box for te Wow expansion was bad enough.

This is roughly 2x as expensive if not more!

It's bloodsucking their loyal fans. Ntohing else.

Yes yes. Before anyione says it I know I don't have to buy it. Dont worry I won't heh.
OPeace.

People want, let them pay for it. Seriously, the market works in the consumers favor if the consumer is not an idiot. Guess what this just proves? Exactly.

Maybe dumb question but how can it sell like hotcakes/sell out when the game isn't even done yet? :oops: :cool:

Besides I can't see it as anything but BAD that MS is releasing vastly overpriced boxes like this one. It's bound to set a horrible prescident for the future. Blizzard's collector box for te Wow expansion was bad enough.

Yes yes. Before anyione says it I know I don't have to buy it. Dont worry I won't heh.
OPeace.

It seems that it's been pre-ordered like hotcakes rather than sold

Halo probably created some kind of cult geek fans similar to the Star Trek geeks.

They are willing to pay anything for "collectors" stuff.

But I am amazed as much as you are about it since the game is far from being released as far as I know, and we didnt get any detailed impressions of the game yet.

Its like people pre ordering the next GTA before it is even shown, or have a clear idea of ots quality.

This shows that Halo 3 could sell in millions based only on the name in a matter of days even if it is even as half as good as what Halo1 was when it was released.

OPeace.

As long as the base price for the game isn't too far removed from the norm, i don't see a problem. If people want to spend money on a limited edition pack or one with extra, non-essential stuff in it, then let me. Me? I'm fairly happy with the base version or perhaps the one above that, depending on price.

As long as the base price for the game isn't too far removed from the norm, i don't see a problem. If people want to spend money on a limited edition pack or one with extra, non-essential stuff in it, then let me. Me? I'm fairly happy with the base version or perhaps the one above that, depending on price.

There are three editions: Standard ($59.99 USD), Limited Collector's ($69.99 USD), and Legendary ($129.99) Editions. The LCE comes with a bonus disc and some story/art book. The LE has a second bonus disc and a custom helmet casing for the DVD cases in addition to those things.

Halo probably created some kind of cult geek fans similar to the Star Trek geeks.

They are willing to pay anything for "collectors" stuff.

But I am amazed as much as you are about it since the game is far from being released as far as I know, and we didnt get any detailed impressions of the game yet.

Its like people pre ordering the next GTA before it is even shown, or have a clear idea of ots quality.

This shows that Halo 3 could sell in millions based only on the name in a matter of days even if it is even as half as good as what Halo1 was when it was released.
After Marathon trilogy, Myth 1&2, Halo 1&2 people trust Bungie. What's so weird about that?

I'm going to pick the one for CE for 70$. I don't care about helmet. But I'm not surprised so many people preorder legendary edition.

People want, let them pay for it. Seriously, the market works in the consumers favor if the consumer is not an idiot. Guess what this just proves? Exactly.

It's a collectors item, I wouldn't be surprised if these 'idiots' can sell them for some profit on Ebay down the road if kept unopened.

After Marathon trilogy, Myth 1&2, Halo 1&2 people trust Bungie. What's so weird about that?

I'm going to pick the one for CE for 70$. I don't care about helmet. But I'm not surprised so many people preorder legendary edition.

Trusting Bungie and pre-ordering like crazy before hands-on impressions and adequate information have been collected are two different things.

I am expecting Halo3 to be a great game, but I didnt even see extensive efforts to inform about the game's unique improvements and such that make it a great game. I am expecting from the media to give me an idea of the unique, great or impressive features to hype up the game for me, but they arent available. I know they will do a great job, but I havent been informed how great, and what are the specific results of their great job. The game probably would have been sold out before release even if Bungie didnt reveal anything at all. No matter how great Bungie is, a simple trust doesnt justify blind commitment.

Usually I expect huge pre-orders a month or two at the most before release. So yeah its strange that so soon, without enough hands on impressions people are so extremely hyped up for a game (or any game)

Trusting Bungie and pre-ordering like crazy before hands-on impressions and adequate information have been collected are two different things.

I am expecting Halo3 to be a great game, but I didnt even see extensive efforts to inform about the game's unique improvements and such that make it a great game. I am expecting from the media to give me an idea of the unique, great or impressive features to hype up the game for me, but they arent available. I know they will do a great job, but I havent been informed how great, and what are the specific results of their great job. The game probably would have been sold out before release even if Bungie didnt reveal anything at all. No matter how great Bungie is, a simple trust doesnt justify blind commitment.

Usually I expect huge pre-orders a month or two at the most before release. So yeah its strange that so soon, without enough hands on impressions people are so extremely hyped up for a game (or any game)

Yeah, but you don't see the standard or limited collector's edition being pre-ordered like crazy. This massive pre-ordering is for the helmet and other bonus items because they know it's going to be in a lot lower supply relative to the other editions (a.k.a. eBay time). People aren't pre-ordering just for the game.

I don't see the big deal. Many people pay this type of price for 'collector's' editions of anime or movie trilogies because they consider them art and identify with the product as giving them identity. The Halo universe has had a high quality game past and a fully fleshed out universe to deserve the same type of recognition by it's fans.

I suspect the anger most feel for it's commercial success has to do with it being a a simple action game about space marines and not some type of 'artsy fartsy' game.

As for me the $59 edition will do just fine.

I do not see the sense in spending money on any "collectors" items. Especially when you're spending another $70 for a plastic helmet.

its resin not plastic and straight off an assembly line in china, problably the very same one that makes the rare and valuable toys that come with a McDonalds Happy Meal, do not mock its powa!

Back