PS3 predictionS now that it launched in all territories

So my predictions...
Sony will do worse than expect.
In France things don't looks good at all.
From reports situation is better in UK and Spain but it's far from great, I don't know for Germany.

My expectation :
In US BigN and Ms will be close Sony is in a really tough situation here.
In Europe, the situation will be more balanced.
But a lot of player seem to have waited till the ps3 launch to make their choice.
If Ms make a clever price cut I see sony loss a lot of ground...
Wii will have an healthy share of the market, Sony should do better than MS but If MS is agressive with the pricing...

In Japan The market will be shared between Sony and Nintendo.
Wii will keep its lead but in the end the ps3 can gain a slim lead depending of witch games Sony will manage to keep exclusive.

shortly I saw europe as the main battle field and launch is behind us now and I can't see Sony perform anywhere near as well as they did with the ps2.

I really don't think wii could keep the lead anywhere but in japan, if that. Sony seems to have a great 1st and 2nd game line-up that apeals to the u.s. and europe. My only worries are in japan. I just can not see software other than home and LBP that will apeal to japan. Correction:i've forgoten about FF and mgs and they might not be enough.

We know that the console is available almost everywhere online or not that's all.
And one huge retailer micromania has said that they have sold 15000 units, but numbers are already old.

Anyway we will have no chance to make accurate comparaison, there is no reliable estimations of sales (to costumers) in Europe.
Sony Ms, and Nintendo are free to say whatever suit best along their PR...

But My feeling is that will know how things fare in this regard by looking at the editors reactions... and quiet soon.
My feeling is not good at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end the point of which console is better than the other is irrelevant...

PS2 proved that by trumping its competitors in sales even though it wasn't the most technologically advanced machine..

Agreed. Ps2 proved people don't really care all that much as long as they are close. Which it was close to xb1. Much like ps3 is close to xb360.

But as you said, Sales.

Sales so far are painting a clear picture...

Initial sales established ps2 as THE platform for gamers and devs alike. This gen, it is much less clear and I think it will be very region dependant. I see EU (still) as the strong point for ps3. Japan for Wii, and US for xb360.

Mind you those are my opinion for region leaders, not that the others will have no presence in those regions.

PS3 predictionS now that it launched in all territories

"... And in unrelated news... In an amazing turn of events, Nintendo buys Sony!! From now on, Sony HDTVs will be Nintony HDTVs and the remote control will be a Wii-like interface. Only 2 buttons, you change channels by moving the remote around. We are unsure whether Nintony HDTVs will come with Mario pre-loaded"

memories ...

Anyone remember the tv's with the NES builtin? :cool:

/offtopic

Do we have any information on online sales in France? ;)

edit: 60k it seems

http://www.zdnet.fr/actualites/informatique/0,39040745,39368135,00.htm?xtor=RSS-1

It seems awfully low to me, while the ps3 is not supply limited, the preorder only reached 60k units two third of the amount the 360 reached.
In France it's like if the first xbox almost didn't exist at all.

The ps2 is every console gamer bread and butter.
Some days ago i could not have seen Sony matched or worse beaten by Ms in Europe, now if they are agressive with their pricing I'm almost sure they can match Sony marketshare wise (I know it's not so great the 360 is out since fall 2005).

Last edited by a moderator:
"The PS3 doesn't have to PROVE that it's better than the Xbox360."

Uh yeah it does if Sony expects people to shell out 200$ more dollars for it. What happens if the 360 gets a price drop and the PS3 is still at 499$ or 599$, we are now talking for sometime the PS3 may be double the 360 price. How does Sony or anyone else here think the PS3 is EVER going to catch the 360 at that point?

It would be nice to see the PS3 outsell the 360 in at least one month before people start saying it will ever catch up. Remember the PS3 has to dramatically outsell the 360 each and every month for at least 18 months to ever catch up to the 360 sales. Breaking even monthly will still leave the PS3 8-9 million consoles behind for the entire gen.

It seems awfully low to me, while the ps3 is not supply limited, the preorder only reached 60k units two third of the amount the 360 reached.
huh? How comes 40k is higher than 60k? ;) Well it seems ok from my point of view. It's not a cheap hardware, and there's some competition (WII and 360)

:oops: I put things up side down...
It's the ps3 did 50% better (but still not an impressive number).

Record breaking 165k PS3's sold in UK (previous record 105k)

18:45, Mar 26th 2007 by Neil Long
New format becomes fastest-selling home console ever over its debut weekend.
The figure is three quarters of the total 220,000 UK launch stock for day one, and makes PS3 second only to PSP in the overall launch weekend sales stakes. The Sony handheld shifted 185,000 during its opening weekend back in September 2005.

PS3’s record-breaking debut for a home console comfortably beats the previous top seller Nintendo Wii, which sold 105,000 after its frantic launch weekend in December last year. Fellow format rival Xbox 360 racked up an estimated 70,000 at launch in December 2005.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26261/Record-breaking-165000-PS3s-sold-at-UK-launch

How in the hell did PS3 sold more than Wii on day 1???? :oops:

Why not? When the XBOX did get out, there was no competition, and no WII haleluvia :D
Ok, but Sony really need to catch up quickly, and Europe was supposed to help a lot.

So far if the european ps3 launch is average to good depending on the country great is nowhere to be seen, this success doesn't seem to be huge enough in regard to the push Sony need.
And if attachment rate is not hight enough editors will be really peaced off.
Some of them have already delayed some till april >>they didn't think market would be huge enough after launch (sony was supposed to deliver (and so sold) 1 000 000 units you see the patern), they have somewhat loss confidence in the claims of Sony.

I really think that editors reactions will be a strong indicator of how ps3 fares in Europe.
If sales are not great editors will react quickly, how many ps3 in the consumers hands now?
How good is the attachment rate?
The industry were expecting Europe to save ps3 from its deceiving launch, if they don't see sales of theirs games going significantly up and quickly, they won't wait anymore to take some difficult decisions.

Does ChartTrack have prove reliable?
Great news for Sony.
Anyway I stick with my prevision we don't have reliable information for Europe as a whole.
If something is wrong i feel like editors reactions will be light fast.

Ok, but Sony really need to catch up quickly, and Europe was supposed to help a lot.

So far if the european ps3 launch is average to good depending on the country great is nowhere to be seen, this success doesn't seem to be huge enough in regard to the push Sony need.
Some of them have already delayed some till april >>they didn't think market would be huge enough after launch (sony was supposed to deliver (and so sold) 1 000 000 units you see the patern), they have somewhat loss confidence in the claims of Sony.

I really think that editors reactions will be a strong indicator of how ps3 fares in Europe.
If sales are not great editors will react quickly, how many ps3 in the consumers hands now?
The industry were expecting Europe to save ps3 from its deceiving launch, if they don't see sales of theirs games going significantly up and quickly, they won't wait anymore to take some difficult decisions.

Can all this retarded 'failure' speculation stop, it's been shown time and time again that the growth rate either exceeds or matches its competitors. It isn't a leading position yes, but it isn't some kind of absolute abomination of a launch/first year. Obviously, with the rising cost of games, people will make more multi-platform titles and less exclusives but the investment in the engines has already been sunk!

How in the hell did PS3 sold more than Wii on day 1???? :oops:

It helps to have enough in stock eventhough it will generate threads with lots of posts about the doom of sony because they still have PS3´s sitting on the shelves...

I see your point but it doesn't change the fact that the launch is good, now it doesn't mean that the trend will be ;)

Why not? When the XBOX did get out, there was no competition, and no WII haleluvia :D

This is what people really need to stop spouting....no competition.

If I remember correctly the 360 faced competition with something called the PS2 (much cheaper, greater game library, look at the number of units sold each month), the Gamecube, and then some REALLY tough competitors in the PS3 "myth" (2x more powerful, coming soon, the real next gen) and even the Revolutuion (became the Wii later).

So no competition.....nope, tons. Some well established and running strong (PS2) and some with too much hype (PS3).

It has nothing to do with retarded' ness (or gloom and doom blabla some sony defender see everywhere)...
Even with that number how many Ps3 will be out there at end of march?
Less than 3 000 000 I guess.
Worse the ps3 seems to have lost a lot of its momentum on a lot of Europeans gamers .
For the growing rate, it's in MS hand I feel like if MS cut the price soon...

It 's more than multiplatform games.
Some people like to say that exclusive make sense when the users base of a given platform is huge enough...
Ms is likely to hold its promises of 12/13 millions users by fall June, the attachment rate is historic!

Ps3 sales in japan sink, the same in US, MS will lower the price soon it's a given.
360 exclusives from third party editos will make sense soon at this rate if PS3 doesn't catch up quickly.

Their still big if (ie euro land) but if 165 000 out 220 000are enough to feel the needs of all tech enthusiasts in UK, the situation could be alarming soon for Sony, the product has to be sold out.
If not that mean that the market for such an expensive device is already filled.

That's still anticipated, but that's why I think that if something is wrong editors will react fast light.

You can disagree ;)

Back