1950pro Xfire 16x/4x thoughts?

JCLW

Newcomer
P5WD2-P, 945D in the 4.5ghz range, 2GB @425mhz....

Primary display is an LCD @1680x1050

Right now I'm using an X800XL, which has been a good card but is starting to show its age. Wasn't so bad until I bought the LCD, because I could always drop the resolution a little on the CRT without the weird scaling.

Anyways...

(All prices CDN$)

A 8800GTS 320 will run me somewhere in the $450 range, which is more then I really wanted to spend.
A 1950XT 256 could be had for $300, and a 512 version would be $350 (but with slower mem clocks).
After having a look at some reviews I noticed there wasn't a huge difference between the XTs and the Pros, and I can get a 1950pro 256 for $210 or a 512 version for $250.

But then I was offered a deal with a pair of Sapphire 1950pro 512s (100196L) for $425 (which again is a little more then I want to spend, but I could stretch it). Fully HDCP compliant as well.

As the 1950pro cards have an internal bridge connection (two, actually) I would hope that running one at 4x wouldn't hurt too much (since no Xfire data goes over the PCIe bus). Since the 1950pro AGP cards don't take a performance hit, neither should a 4x lane (AGP 8x = 2GB/s, PCIe 4x = 2GB/s).

Or I could just keep the X800XL 'til the summer, when we'll see more DX10 cards out.

Or am I missing another option?

Does anyone who runs Xfire currently have any issues with it? Never in my life did I think that I'd try a multi-GPU setup, but it might be fun.

I really like Xfire, but I'm the type that loves to tweak things and the expanded AA settings to play with are a blast for me. :oops:

2xX1800GTOs, 3500 @ 2.4Ghz, 1Gb ram.

Save your money and wait until late spring/early summer when the midrange DX10 cards are released.

Save your money. I'm ever so tempted to pull the plug and get a 8800 GTS, but I'm trying to wait until ATI releases their cards. Even if I don't get an ATI card, I'm hoping the Nvidia cards will become cheaper due to competition. It's ever so difficult to wait though.

Waiting is harder since STALKER is out and doesn't suck. :???:

Put the lighting on static, it honestly doesn't look that bad and its very smooth. Also, it doesn't sound like anything is going to power through the game at this point except maybe a patch. :LOL:

You're preaching to the choir on that one, I've been playing it in DX8 mode. :LOL:

Sure it looks better in DX9, but the AA don't work...that's still a deal breaker for me.

DX8 w/AA looks better than the DX9 without AA, IMHO.

Still, it is the first game in a while that's given me the jones for some more oomph....I really love it for that too. ;)

I'm ever so tempted to go out and get Stalker ($35 at Target), but I still need to finish Oblivion and FEAR and play the newest Guild Wars expansion I bought. I'm way too busy and I fear I won't finish Stalker. Sorry for the hyjack of the thread.

On topic though, I'd wait so you'll be in the best position for Crysis!:cool:

Yeah, I have Stalker sitting beside me on my desk but I haven't installed it yet.

FS X is the other game I have that brings the X800XL to its knees.

Well, in the end I couldn't resist.

2x1950pro1sm3.jpg

Two matched cards (consecutive serial #s), packed five days ago. :)

Back