Consoles & Propoganda

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I had already stated previous to this post. Cost of living is not limited to just Europe and US.

He didn´t say anything stupid, he used the wrong words but the context made it clear that it wasn´t meant as an insult. The insult is in your head not in his words or between the lines.

Btw what did you mean with this "Cost of living is not limited to just Europe and US." ?

He didn´t say anything stupid, he used the wrong words but the context made it clear that it wasn´t meant as an insult. The insult is in your head not in his words or between the lines.

Btw what did you mean with this "Cost of living is not limited to just Europe and US." ?

Cost of living varies everywhere. From Country to Country and even inside the US from City to City and State to State.

Sorry, but I'm not givng them the benefit of the doubt given their track record.

The perception of being insulted doesn't require diliberate intention. The stupidity of his statement will be dependent on the reactions of potential consumers in US. But, his statement in isolation will have very little impact on the market. However, these PR gaffes aren't isolated incidents, there seems to a plethora of statements in the last year that I would describe as anything but PR. The function of PR is to create goodwill and a positive image of your company amongst consumers, which Sony has a hard time of doing of late. Thank God, Sony has the "playstation brand" which is strong enough to overcome such an issue.

And for an example of contrast, when was the last time you heard another exec say something so stupid in this respect of comparing prices from region to region to explain his products price differences?
How many other execs do you read interviews of on websites? How many automobile company MD interviews? Coffee house CEOs? CE goods financing officers and nightclub franchise operators?

Now widen the test-case to how many human beings (and these people are still human you know...) have you known say something and 'dropped a clanger'? It's something people do. It's something even well trained (supposedly) journo's can do and they have to publish retractions, and in this case, all he did was use a non-politically correct term for something he didn't mean in derogatory fashion. If that's the sort of language he uses, it's going to appear in his speech unless he trains himself out of it. If he hadn't used the word 'cheap' you wouldn't be complaining, yet it's obvious from his reply what he was talking about and it wasn't insulting of the US. So why feel insulted?

How many other execs do you read interviews of on websites? How many automobile company MD interviews? Coffee house CEOs? CE goods financing officers and nightclub franchise operators?

Now widen the test-case to how many human beings (and these people are still human you know...) have you known say something and 'dropped a clanger'? It's something people do. It's something even well trained (supposedly) journo's can do and they have to publish retractions, and in this case, all he did was use a non-politically correct term for something he didn't mean in derogatory fashion. If that's the sort of language he uses, it's going to appear in his speech unless he trains himself out of it. If he hadn't used the word 'cheap' you wouldn't be complaining, yet it's obvious from his reply what he was talking about and it wasn't insulting of the US. So why feel insulted?

How many times have you heard completely rediculous statements such as this by a Sony exec over the past few years? In contrast within the same field (so as not to bring up Starbucks execs), How many such statements have you heard by a Nintendo exec or a MS exec?

For me to catch flak over this is funny but if it makes everyone feel better, I replaced the quote with two other equally rediculous (and funny) ones. Smiles for everyone.

And for the record, yes, if he hadn't used the word I wouldn't be insulted. Unless it were replaced with an equally insulting term. Doesn't change history however or their track record of equally "foot-in-mouth" comments based on an elitest, pompous attitude. I'll remember to get the nails ready for some guys here though next time one does occur as I'll be sure to point it out or laugh about it and I'll likely be in for a crucifiction because of it.

Personally I think some people are just mad because I burned their crow. I'll be sure to cook it right next time guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but only a complete fanboy would keep tabs on all the apparent "blunders" a company's spokesperson(s) would make and quote them as some kind of badge of honor.

Sorry you don't find humor in these quite humorous quotes.

How do you expect to be taken seriously when its completely obvious that you have no intention of actually looking or discussing things in an objective manner? This is what I cannot understand of these boards.

That's rich. How about you look at more than one post before making such a sweeping statement attacking the character of a fellow member on b3d?

Why do people tolerate this garbage? I'm not jumping on Chef's back because he doesn't prefer Sony's products or, more to the point, because he prefers MS' products. Its that his input consistently brings down and steers the topics away from what they're supposed to be about particularly when they don't pertain to Xbox topics.

I'm sorry you feel I've spoken offtopic in a thread too often for your liking. I do try to be cognizant of this when posting.

Saying something negative and then saying "i'm still looking forward to how this turns out" or putting 50 million smilies next to it doesn't make things better.

50 million smilies ay?

So because I do not care for Sony PR of late or the decisions by upper management, this eliminates me from making positive statements on upcoming ps3 games? Ok.

Chef doesn't have an interest in being civil, that much I can guaran-damn-tee.

None whatsoever - good day sir. :) (that makes 50million and one)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mature. You wouldn't happen to be PC-Engine would you?

Regardless, it really comes down to who says what. I wouldn't have a problem with those quotes if it were by someone I didn't believe was holding a company with the malice that you seem to hold for it.

And no, I don't cry because you don't like Sony or that you may not particularly like Sony either, but you bring that dislike into almost every single Sony related thread no matter what it seems to be about. Moreover, I find that you can't help but make a direct comparison of something Xbox to whatever that topic is.

I've seen you're capable of making posts that are informative and even interesting but seldom in the kind of threads that I'm talking about. So take that for what you will. Maybe it would be best for you not to post in such threads. I dont know. Obviously I can't tell you what to do, but obviously these seem to be valid complaints to me.

I'll just leave it at that.

Mature. You wouldn't happen to be PC-Engine would you?

Regardless, it really comes down to who says what. I wouldn't have a problem with those quotes if it were by someone I didn't believe was holding a company with the malice that you seem to hold for it.

And no, I don't cry because you don't like Sony or that you may not particularly like Sony either, but you bring that dislike into almost every single Sony related thread no matter what it seems to be about. Moreover, I find that you can't help but make a direct comparison of something Xbox to whatever that topic is.

I've seen you're capable of making posts that are informative and even interesting but seldom in the kind of threads that I'm talking about. So take that for what you will. Maybe it would be best for you not to post in such threads. I dont know. Obviously I can't tell you what to do, but obviously these seem to be valid complaints to me.

I'll just leave it at that.

Let me clarify for you:

I will talk about products when I see fit. I do my best to keep on topic and I'm sure my fellow posters do the same.

This is a forum to share opinions on many topics related to 3d and this thread is in a subforum discussing consoles. I am a member of this forum and I like to share my opinion. Much of the news/moves lately involving Sony has been less than positive and many of the expectations for their product in the console space have fallen short of reality. I was one of the few that disagreed with these expectations at an early phase and I enjoy actively analyzing the console space and a good laugh every once in a while.

I could guess what you are truly upset about, but I don't think it is appropriate for this thread, much like your original post directed at me in the first place as I'm sure you are aware.

Anything beyond this, I think would be best to take to pm.

I think the thread has run its course, fond of it though I was back when it was just splintered off from DMC4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back