PS3 OS Resources.

Reading some of that it sounds like they also made more of the Default OS features into option game only implementation features now.

So from the sounds it, part of the reduced memory footprint is still there when running games (in game music is one example in the link deepbrown gave). So in the end, it doesn't sound like it's going to be 50 MB for most devs if they now have additional features they have to implement in game rather than being provided by the OS.

The upside, I suppose, is that Devs can pick and choose which features they want to implement. Then again, aren't you usually going to want in game music?

Regards,
SB

Reading some of that it sounds like they also made more of the Default OS features into option game only implementation features now.

So from the sounds it, part of the reduced memory footprint is still there when running games (in game music is one example in the link deepbrown gave). So in the end, it doesn't sound like it's going to be 50 MB for most devs if they now have additional features they have to implement in game rather than being provided by the OS.

The upside, I suppose, is that Devs can pick and choose which features they want to implement.
Then again, aren't you usually going to want in game music?

Regards,
SB
I thought devs always had those abilities. When did they not have the option to choose features to use (like in-game music, in-game browser access, etc)?

...plus if they are going to promise cross game voice chat (as long as people pay for it ?), then it is likely that the feature can run in the existing 50Mb footprint. We heard rumors about working cross game voice chat for many months now.

The upside, I suppose, is that Devs can pick and choose which features they want to implement. Then again, aren't you usually going to want in game music?

Regards,
SB

That's only a personal opinion- but I would expect some things to take up a little bit more memory. Then again, maybe not. But what we do know is that there's now only 50mb memoy that developer can't touch.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/23/70mb-of-additional-ram-unlocked-for-ps3-developers/
The change was initially discovered by PlayStation University, noting the reduction in the system OS's memory footprint, from 120MB to 50MB. As the OS continues to slim down, developers are allowed access to even more usable system memory.

SCEA's Patrick Seybold recently confirmed the change to Joystiq. "Since the launch of the PS3, we have been continuously making efforts to reinforce our support system to game developers, allowing them to express their creativity freely on the PS3. As part of this support for game development, the size of the PS3 OS memory footprint has been reduced through network update for the game developers."

Do they actually say some of the OS features are put to an optional list now, so devs may unload unnecessary libraries. Anyaway, I think this is not a new piece of information B3Ders have known for quite long time its 50MB OS footprint.

I don't recall any official confirmation for 50mb besides this one. Also the fact that the number is same implies they haven't reduced the OS Mem footprint since then.

They're referencing a presentation that came out months ago* as pdf, and I'm pretty sure it was linked here on... the previous page. :|

*ACGI was in early Nov.

Do they actually say some of the OS features are put to an optional list now, so devs may unload unnecessary libraries. Anyaway, I think this is not a new piece of information B3Ders have known for quite long time its 50MB OS footprint.

They've always been optional though. We knew that from the start.

I did a quick check on google. It seems that since Dec 2009, there has only been 3 updates:
* 3.15 - Added PS3 Minis and data transfer utility
* 3.21 - Removed OtherOS
* 3.30 - Added stereoscopic 3D gaming support

No news on memory size change. In fact, we just found out yesterday that the box can do AVC encoding on-the-fly while a game or Blu-ray (!) is running. It's probably a "low-end" profile but it looks like there may have been spare capacity waiting to be tapped all along.

EDIT: Come to think of it. they still need to add Blu-ray 3D to the stack later this year.

I did a quick check on google. It seems that since Dec 2009, there has only been 3 updates:
* 3.21 - Removed OtherOS

No news on memory size change. In fact, we just found out yesterday that the box can do AVC encoding on-the-fly while a game or Blu-ray (!) is running. It's probably a "low-end" profile but it looks like there may have been spare capacity waiting to be tapped all along.

EDIT: Come to think of it. they still need to add Blu-ray 3D to the stack later this year.

Indeed and see from this side(ps3 as player and even more) there were really few updates and some important additions and features, but im particularly interested in reduced footprint OS for "gamer side" aspect are implemented(textures space etc).

* 3.21 - Removed OtherOS

To be clear (for me) what are the resource ramifications\overhead for pulling off 3D on a console? The type that KZ3 is supposed to be employing?

Back