PS3 OS Resources.

SCEE to Host PS3 Class

As usual didnt want to start a new Thread

LINK

Handy if your a Dev and in Paris buts it good to see Sony offering these types of things for people to get a better understanding of the PS3

I think it depends how you choose to view it. From the sounds of it, if you choose to use virtually no features like friends list and voice chats the PS3 can use as little as 24MB. So from that perspective, it would "not be bloated". But it also sounds like if you actually add up the features to bring it to parity to the 360, it goes up significantly in size.

It's a glass half full, glass half empty kind of thing...
But is it 24MB of 512MB, or 24MB of 256MB + (?)MB of 256MB? That (?) could be a significant amount. and 24MB of 256 is almost 10% of the available memory, so that's quite a bit.

It seems disingenuous to talk about the OS reserved space in RAM without also taking into account the OS reserved space in the GPU RAM, and then comparing it to the 360 and saying the one is less than the other.

They're two quite different platforms, with different advantages and tradeoffs. Development companies will essentially do what they have to to make something they can ship. If they need voice chat, they will find 8MB somewhere they can free up to make it work. Farm some work off on a SPU instead of using a precomputed table or whatever.

""Naughty Dog is constantly working to improve every aspect of the gameplay; be it animation, lighting, sound, texture fidelity. You know if you look at the game itself with the 2.80 engine update, you know we're adding more memory, so we get a lot more utilisation of the SPUs so we increase our optimisation of the Cell processor as well."

Ummmmmm... seems to be some interesting jumps going on in that statement... more memory means a lot more utilisation of the SPUs? More stuff streamed in from BD, held in RAM and processed by the SPU? Does the SPU work like that?

Isn't it a bit of stretch to say engine 2.80 = fw 2.80 ? Fine he maybe misspoke or using some internal terminology etc, but for all we know, it could be that their engine has gotten an optimization that freed up some memory.

Isn't it a bit of stretch to say engine 2.80 = fw 2.80 ? Fine he maybe misspoke or using some internal terminology etc, but for all we know, it could be that their engine has gotten an optimization that freed up some memory.

Well the update did happen in-between the Beta and ComicCon...and the update didn't include much on the outside, meaning that it most likely gave back a little bit of memory to developers. And the source agrees that it could be a coincidence, but probably isn't:

"It's presumed that the 2.80 engine update Thompson refers to is Naughty Dog's improvements after the PS3's 2.80 firmware update, with the coincidence being too significant to ignore (though we're sure Naughty Dog has also gained back memory from their own engine optimisation)."

Anyway...regardless, the OS footprint must be much smaller since 1.8...I wonder what it is now.

grandmaster said:
Ummmmmm... seems to be some interesting jumps going on in that statement... more memory means a lot more utilisation of the SPUs? More stuff streamed in from BD, held in RAM and processed by the SPU? Does the SPU work like that?

Sam Thompson is a producer. He may not be able to explain intricate system design and implementation cohesively. For all we know, he may be listing tasks in past project meetings.

It sounds like NaughtyDog is still improving the engine (e.g., better textures due to more memory allocated, better SPU utilization, larger BD streaming cache). If Sony frees up more OS memory, then we'll see improvements for other games in the future as well.

I'm more curious how they do this when PlayTV is running. Those guys want to add HD recording too.

Sam Thompson is a producer...
Exactly. Interpret the statement with consderation for the source's likely like of technical knowledge. Thus I doubt better SPE utilisation comes from more RAM. Probably ND have improved the way they are doing things with SPEs independent of memory, and Thompson has mixed all the improvements together into a single statement launched from a 2.80 update.

I'm more curious how they do this when PlayTV is running. Those guys want to add HD recording too.
I'd have thought that shouldn't make any difference apart from HDD BW.

That's the most common response, but I'd like to see how it works end-to-end. e.g., Doesn't the PlayTV image take up any memory and memory bandwidth at all ? And for HDD bandwidth, NaughtyDog and Insomniac use HDD streaming. There's got to be a hit somewhere. Too bad, we don't get to talk about PlayTV much. Would love to give it a try.

Well, the stream'll come in through the USB at a few megabits a second. Isn't HD something like 4? 8Mb at a push?? There'll need to be a buffer and there'll be the write to HDD. Bandwidth wise, it should be something like a megabyte per second from RAM and HDD access, which in a system of gigabytes a second is negligable. The real impact will be HDD access when accessing HDD though, you're right. Head thrashing could be an issue with seak times taking a serious knock. This would be reduced with a larger RAM buffer. At the end of the day though, if you get slightly rougher texture pop-in when recording, it's a penalty you'd expect.

Ummmmmm... seems to be some interesting jumps going on in that statement... more memory means a lot more utilisation of the SPUs?

Though it may not be accurate in case of Uncharted 2, it still makes sense because SPUs are terrible at reading from VRAM.

Also, there is this thing called memory-speed tradeoff.

Someone from Naughty Dog commented on Sam's remarks:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16859069&postcount=601

This was just a typical blunder with all the info and people coming up to us constantly at the PS booth at SDCC. I feel bad for Sam. :(

He was actually referring to Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 updates we made. we had just been making sure at the event that all the PS3s brought in were on FW2.8 since that is what that build needed to run on, so I have no doubt it was top of mind

re: PlayTV, the game has automatically higher priority access to the HDD, so PlayTV will drop frames while recording if you're playing something intensive, but the game should be unaffected.

Well, that hardly clears it up, in fact I would say it's confirmation that firmware 2.8 does do something significant.

It probably does. It's just we don't know what from Sam's comments.

Hmm, a correction to my above comment about people not trying to guess. One upshot is when people make crazy assumptions, often it annoys developers enough that they speak out in correction, which means it does do its job in the end! :mrgreen:

It probably does. It's just we don't know what from Sam's comments.

Hmm, a correction to my above comment about people not trying to guess. One upshot is when people make crazy assumptions, often it annoys developers enough that they speak out in correction, which means it does do its job in the end! :mrgreen:

Yep :) Works like a charm.

Well, that hardly clears it up, in fact I would say it's confirmation that firmware 2.8 does do something significant.

Perhaps it is simply a case that the latest build of the game is based on SDK 2.8 and therefore it wouldn't run if the PS3 was not updated to the corresponding firmware.

Back