PS3 OS Resources.

So if someone wants to make singleplayer only game [looks @ HS] I hope that they dont need to spend so much memory on OS. I mean why bother with Keyboard [7mb], Online Startup [8], Friends [24], and bunch of other stuff???

You don't have to. And that list is inaccurate.

There is 84mb put aside by Sony...and then the friends list, keyboard etc is ON TOP OF that 84mb

Unconfirmed details of Firmware 2.0 are up. Apparently now we can call up XMB while pressing PS Button inside game.

Nice feature, but I guess very memory heavy...

Not anymore than before. And by that I mean that before 84mb was put aside for the OS, and not all of it was used for the OS (about half)...and after this update 84mb will still be put aside...but more of it will be used.

That 84mb is compulsary and can't be touched by devs at the moment...it's not optional.

Yes it has, it puts us at 154MB plus the 84MB mentioner before.. clearly the "developers blog" need to add some details to how that is gonna work in real games.

Apart from the lack of browser on the 360, microsoft is able to do the same with 32MB.

The memory requirements might have something to do with HOME, maybe Sony have something planned in the future?

Yes it has, it puts us at 154MB plus the 84MB mentioner before.. clearly the "developers blog" need to add some details to how that is gonna work in real games.

Apart from the lack of browser on the 360, microsoft is able to do the same with 32MB.

Guys, it doesn't work the way you see it.
I'm no developer but from my perspective the memory footprint doesn't affect the game performance.

These things (Onscreen keyboard, Saving / Loading / Reading, Online startup, NP Friend list) don't have to be accessible while you're playing games. You can implement all this in the game lobby and swap them out to hard-drive when you start playing games.

Well I guess us layman's feel it does work that way because people all over the intertubes say the 360 has a clear memory advantage over the PS3 in games.
If it's wrong I would like to know that. :smile:

_phil_ said:
video chat in render to texture.
Video chat texture that occupies 4 1920x1080P buffers?

Crossbar said:
They may be handy if the second hdmi port would reappear on the PS3.
Let me guess, HDMI ports grow out of your case like some sort of algae? :p

Back