FF13 Exclusivity still being discussed?

FF14 = Wii exclusive. The way Japan is turning out, I can't see 14 on any other platform
That really may not matter as much as you think it does; Japan isn't the only place FF is sold. Final Fantasy X, for example, sold more copies in the US alone than in it did in Japan, so it's not entirely unreasonable to assume that international sales account for around 65-75% of FF's revenues.

Not at all. Opportunity Cost. Basic economics.

MS still makes money in this situation, if alternative is earning no money at all it's hardly an opportunity cost as I understand that definition.

i.e. There's no reason to believe they could get away with charging more than the agreed upon (discounted?) price to get SE to port FF to the their system.

And if they do discount royalties, it's hardly the same thing as giving away moneyhats which was the original point. They are still making money off of the deal in the end.

As an aside - Didn't Sony offer lower license fees than Nintendo on PS1? Were they then giving moneyhats to every single publisher for their system?

And why would you assume that different companies can charge the same royalties? Some manufacturers have more leverage or better relationships than others...

As an aside - Didn't Sony offer lower license fees than Nintendo on PS1? Were they then giving moneyhats to every single publisher for their system?

I recall that Squaresoft was pissed off at Nintendo for sticking with cartridges which wasn't in line with their vision for future rpgs (cutscenes, orchestral sound).
---------

This discussion about opportunity costs is cute but maybe it should be looked at from SE position instead of MSFT.

I am a complete ignoramus in regards to porting costs for games, anyone have a ball park figure for the cost of say, targetting a single platform for development of a 10millionUSD game than porting said game to another platform?

I lot might depend on how the JRPGs do. If ES and BD don't sell so well on XB360 (and FFXI too), SE might see there's no market for FF there, despite the sizeable install base.

That is what I've been thinking about the possibility. I wanted to mention it on another forum but was afraid of how people will react to it. Capcom’s success with action games on the Xbox doesn't automatically mean that SE will have the same type of success when they bring their JRPGs over.

While it might end up being true that by the time FFXIII is released that the PS3 will not have a large enough userbase to sustain it, If Blue Dragon or ES prove to be unsuccessful in the west SE might not want to risk spending money to bring the game to the 360 anyway. I'm not sure about ES yet though I am hoping that it turns out to be a good game but BD is the first big budget high quality JRPG on the Xbox brand therefore I suspect that companies that SE and other companies will wait and see how it does before porting their Next-Gen works over...if they aren't doing so already.

I'll tell you what. If Sony does not do their best to secure FFXIII then they can kiss my ass goodbye and it will probably be the final nail in their coffeen. I bought a PS3 for some of their exclusives, but the biggest reason why I threw down 600$ was because I was almost certain that FFXIII would only be available for that. I feel like I made a fool out of myself.

Losing DMC4 was huge for them. But losing a game like FFXIII is massive and they won't recover. None of their 1st party titles stand out to the mainstream crowd like a FF game. And by the time something from Sony IP's really stand out it'll be too late for them. Sony has lost touch to the people. They probably don't seem to remember that it was Square would help them elevated the PS1 to mainstream.

People say it's premature to think Sony has already failed. I think if Sony loses FFXIII it's already over. Just my two cent.

Losing DMC4 was huge for them.
DMC sold less 4 million units to 100+ million PS2s. 95% of PS2 couldn't care less about DMC. If PS3 were to sell like PS2, the absence of DMC exclusivity would account for a drop of 5% sales...assuming all the DMC gamers decided to get an XB360 just for DMC, and didn't care about the other software on PS3. If all the DMC players also play GT, they'll still get a PS3 to play the cross-platform DMC and the exclusive GT. If all the DMC gamers in the world look at LBP and go 'wowza, that's awesome, I want that as well as my DMC fix' they'll get a PS3, because of its exclusives. DMC is one reason alone to get a console. Only for very, very few people, will it be the only reason. They'll want other games as well, and it's the exclusives (among other features) that'll swing it. If you want to play DMC and also Halo, you can get an XB360. If you want to play DMC and GT, you'll get a PS3.

Archgamer honestly I think you should just go ahead and buy a 360; you seem *extremely* conflicted on the issue. ;)

Archgamer honestly I think you should just go ahead and buy a 360; you seem *extremely* conflicted on the issue. ;)
Unless you've got an HDTV, or are likely to get one in the short term. Selling your PS3 and getting an XB360 will net you a loss. Keeping your PS3 gets you DMC, FFXIII, and BRD playback, so is well worth it if you've already bought it.

I have a Wii and a 360 too. I enjoy them very much. It's just that I will feel stupid or cheated by buying a PS3 for 600$ if FFXIII wasn't exclusive. We'll find out eventually.

Truth is, I want all 3 systems to do well. I just don't want the PS3 to go the way like the Dreamcast. If the PS3 fails too early I'm going to be thinking to myself, "why did I even buy it"?:rolleyes:

I have a Wii and a 360 too. I enjoy them very much. It's just that I will feel stupid or cheated by buying a PS3 for 600$ if FFXIII wasn't exclusive. We'll find out eventually.

Truth is, I want all 3 systems to do well. I just don't want the PS3 to go the way like the Dreamcast. If the PS3 fails too early I'm going to be thinking to myself, "why did I even buy it"?:rolleyes:

I don't think there's much to worry about FFXIII exlusive being lost. Because it probably (Pretty sure atleast) won't happen. When was the last time you saw multiplatform Final fantasy? Not talking about FFXI, because thats totally different story.

And imagine how long it would take them to come out with both versions. They take more than 9 months usually to even translate the games! I'll be just as pissed as you if its not PS3 exlusive anymore, not because Xbox360 would be getting it - because it would take 5 freaking years.

I don't think there's much to worry about FFXIII exlusive being lost. Because it probably (Pretty sure atleast) won't happen. When was the last time you saw multiplatform Final fantasy? Not talking about FFXI, because thats totally different story.
Things change. If content creation becomes that much more expensive, going cross-platform becomes the economical decision, even if for other reasons like artistic, they want to stick to one platform.
And imagine how long it would take them to come out with both versions. They take more than 9 months usually to even translate the games! I'll be just as pissed as you if its not PS3 exlusive anymore, not because Xbox360 would be getting it - because it would take 5 freaking years.
If the White Engine is cross-platform, the time to create a port should be no more than creating the original game. They develop the engine concurrently on both platforms, and crete the content to run on the engine. It should add no delay.

I don't think you need fear PS3 being Dreamcasted... or, at least I hope you don't! (because then I'd be in the same boat!) :p

Per a reliable source on this board (ERP) a title can change target platforms in as little as 6 weeks. FYI

DMC sold less 4 million units to 100+ million PS2s. 95% of PS2 couldn't care less about DMC.

Yet every single website and forum was cheering aloud for DMC4 when it's been announced as a PS3 exclusive game.

Come on now, don't play this game...

I dont' know about the impact that DMC4 will have on the battle, but as far as I know, DMC sales have been declining over the years (probably because of the DMC2 reputation)...

Per a reliable source on this board (ERP) a title can change target platforms in as little as 6 weeks. FYI

Reworking art assets may take a tiny bit more though, especially if they're heavily optimized for one platform's strengths. Have you forgotten the long discussions in the various 'RSX vertex limited' topics?
Simply running everything through the (rewritten and debugged) exporters and checking them in the engine takes a lot of time on its own, especially for levels that may require a lot of preprocessing. It may take months to do this all...

I dont' know about the impact that DMC4 will have on the battle, but as far as I know, DMC sales have been declining over the years (probably because of the DMC2 reputation)...

The point is not if this is true or not, the point is that DMC4 is suddenly not that hot, now that it's multiplatform... Just dig around for old topics here on B3D, and it's still a moderate place without hordes of PS3 fans.

The point is not if this is true or not, the point is that DMC4 is suddenly not that hot, now that it's multiplatform... Just dig around for old topics here on B3D, and it's still a moderate place without hordes of PS3 fans.

A "forumer" in your position shouldn't be concerned with this mishmash ! Yes, fans (on both sides) will always claim the game has lost its appeal once it's crossed the border, but those are...well...emotionnaly-driven fans ! If the game is good, then it's good. I think it looks beautiful for the moment, what I'm more eager to know is whether Capcom will take some risks in the franchise or continue on the route of the charsimatic hero posing with the same gameplay mechanics...
Not that I'm doubting the genius of Capcom (They're the Number one japanese developer around and easily one the best in the world...)...we'll see !

If FF13 goes multiplatform, I expect it goes to Wii also. It'll be hard for SE to ignore Wii success all over the world and especially in Japan. I won't be suprise if they start porting or remaking the Playstation FF for Wii, starting with FF7. That would be a kick in the nuts to the Playstation fans. :)

FF13 exclusive to PS3 is probably a no go, not they way PS3 been seliing anyway and it'll continue that way, until Sony drops that price.

Back