Splitfish FragFX Mouse Controller for PS3

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Looks like Splitfish announced a FPS mouse controller for the PS3 called FragFX. Check out the photo of the weird, though eerily familiar device below:

fragfx_front.jpg

Check out the press release and details at Kotaku. I'd like to try it out myself.

Also announced was the MotionFX motion adapter for the PS2 DualShock. Check out their website.

Tommy McClain

:oops:

That look very cool! And the left "nun-chuck" thingee has all of the 6XS functions! I'd personally prefer this to the Wii setup (with all that sensor stuff). Good job Splitfish! :cool:

Wonder how practical it'll be from the cough though! Thankfully for me, my PS3 will be running through my PC monitor.

That looks very functional. It seems they tried to mimick the functionality of the Wii with a similar nunchuck for moves.

Thats more preferable than a huge keyboard. Only your right hand should be resting on something flat (mouse). The left hand is free to place on your lab comfortably.

I want to see a review. But I am intrigued. I could see playing the next unreal game with this instead of on my PC if it works well.

The action buttons on the side of the mouse, are they on both sides? The question comes from a concerned lefty.

I want to see a review. But I am intrigued. I could see playing the next unreal game with this instead of on my PC if it works well.

Here is an early review of a prototype.

On a normal gamepad, a little tilt on the analog stick moves the crosshairs slower than fully tilting the stick to the side. That's all well and good, but in situations that require precision in movements between the two extremes of the analog stick's range it can be very tricky to accurately compensate for the variable speed. The FragFX mouse manipulates the view in a direct relationship, meaning a slow movement with the mouse moves the view slowly, and a fast movement moves it fast. As PC gamers know, such control is more natural and far superior to the alternatives in FPS titles that require ultra fast movements immediately followed by pixel precise aiming.

The cumulative effect of the FragFX during our play session was improved accuracy at distance and better target tracking at close range for the PC gamers among us.
I cannot make head or tail if the game need to be adapted to this controller or not.
Anyway it seems to be big a improvement.

Sounds like it is emulating the mouse, and it also sounds like he is talking about mouse acceleration as if it was a good thing.

Oh, V-G, I highly doubt there are any buttons on the other side, and even if there were the nunchuck looks strictly left handed.

Oh, V-G, I highly doubt there are any buttons on the other side, and even if there were the nunchuck looks strictly left handed.
Dunno how I could completely miss that one.

I predict a hard time to come for left handed people playing online shooters if this controller improves much on aiming.

*Ned Flanders to the resque, I hope*

IGN gives it a 9.1:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799262p1.html

We put the FragFX into use with Resistance on the PlayStation 3. Our learning curve was pretty much nonexistent due to our long history in PC gaming, and after a little time spent fine tuning sensitivity in both software and hardware (via the scroll wheel on the left-stick-dongle), we had the FragFX tuned just the way we'd have it in a PC game. Our accuracy and precision were immediately improved, especially in situations in which we were tracking a moving target.

Tempting...

Sorry to spoil the fun, but i think IGN is either paid or did not let real PC gamers test that item. In my review of the PS2 part (on my homepage, but sorry folks, german only) i came to the conclusion that it may improve your accuracy, but it certainly doesn't have the real pc-like mouse feeling.

The PS3 part may have improved, but i cannot imagine any way to make it "real". If you are an experienced player of PC shooters (using the mouse, of course), you will most certainly be disappointed. And believe me, i really wished it otherwise.

Back