AMD: Beyond R600

Motherboards lacking the support shouldn't stop anything, though, as at least if I understood it right, PCIe 2.0 is backwards compatible "both ways" (as in, 2.0 cards work in 1.0 mobos and vice versa)
While this is true, R600 was certainly too late to use PCie 2.0. I guess it's possible that a R6x0/RV6x0 refresh part would be on PCIe 2.0, but I wouldn't put too much stock in that idea.

According to this link from DailyTech...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6451

RV610 and RV630 support PCIe 2.0 for increased bandwidth. Native support for CrossFire remains, as with current ATI Radeon X1650 XT and X1950 Pro products. AMD will also debut RV610 and RV630 on a 65nm manufacturing processor for low-power consumption. Expect RV610 products to consume around 25 to 35-watts. RV630 requires more power at around 75 to 128-watts.

I don't know if R600 will be PCIe 2.0, but R700 is not supposed to be AMD's first PCIe 2.0 card...

SM 5.0 will most likely arrive when Directx 11 arrives.
Wait... I have no idea what "SM5" or "DX11" are or most likely will be, so please enlighten me what both of them consist of (and then I can form my own opinion if they're tied together).

Yes, I anticipate "a SM5" and "a DX11" (note where I put the opening quotation marks) but unless that's the whole point of that comment of yours, I fail to see why we should be talking about the 5s and the 11s in this context.

Rev, that was in reply to another post where the poster stated that DX 10.1 would be SM 5.0. :p

I was just commenting that 10.1 was still SM 4.0 and DX 11 would be the most likely inflection date of SM 5.0. Not however, saying that DX 11 exists or that SM 5.0 exists or that they absolutely positively will be tied together. :p

Hope that clears things up.

Regards,
SB

IMHO, PCIe 2.0 will only be of real use to IGP's and Turbocache/Hypermemory schemes, since they depend on main memory up to a certain degree (or fully, in the case of the IGP's).

Since local GPU memory BW is accelerating, and Crossfire/SLI talk is done through dedicated connections, having 5GB/s vs 2.5GB/s of PCIe bandwidth seems irrelevant, since even a x8 connection isn't maxed out by them yet.

Well, except that both IHV's appear to be taking advantage of PCIE for Crossfire/SLI. In fact there were some rumors a few months back that even the R600 would do away with Crossfire dongles and do crossfire over PCIE. I'm a little skeptical myself whether PCIE 1.0 or even 2.0 would offer sufficient bandwidth.

Regards,
SB

IMHO, PCIe 2.0 will only be of real use to IGP's and Turbocache/Hypermemory schemes, since they depend on main memory up to a certain degree (or fully, in the case of the IGP's).

Since local GPU memory BW is accelerating, and Crossfire/SLI talk is done through dedicated connections, having 5GB/s vs 2.5GB/s of PCIe bandwidth seems irrelevant, since even a x8 connection isn't maxed out by them yet.

Both good points - particularly about Crossfire/SLI using dedicated connections. I can't see how having more bandwidth to not use would help things. :D Would one of the uses of PCI-e 2.0 be to get rid of the need for the dedicated SLI/Crossfire connections possibly? It isn't like having to use an SLI bridge or Crossfire connection internally is a big deal, but it is one less thing to lose before you need it/break/be faulty, etc.

Back