Devil May Cry 4 Going Multi-platform! (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) *Confirmed

ehh ... not to sure about that. Some of us shared this opinion while others on this very site predicted ps3 to be the place to find "variety"
As one who said I anticipated more variety on PS3, it was because of Sony's first-party titles rather than 3rd party exclusivity. Plus the argument wasn't so much more variety, but guarenteed variety. Buying XB360 early on, you had (and still have) no idea what range of titles its going to see. You could be sure of Katamari on PS3, but was Katamari destined for XB360? That was very much an unknown. PS3 was set to inherit PS1 and PS2's diversity, so it was a safe bet for those wanting that diversity of software. XB360 may still showcase a massive variety, but it wasn't a sure-thing back then, and importantly, it's diversity isn't likely to be any better than PS3's because 3rd parties are likely to go cross-platform as everyone was saying.

DMC does not fall into this category, but I think more than a few PS fanboys were not expecting the likes of DMC, VF, Ace Combat, GTA, and RE to go to the xbox, but they did/are.
And they were thinking against the consensus because of a biased view. There was no reason for these games to stay exclusive (ignoring GTA which is already cross-platform, and RE which not only is cross-platform but also was announced for next-gen consoles)

ehh ... not to sure about that.

I agree that many of those that also believed that there would be more 3rd party CrossPlat games (me for one) never imagined this group (or moreso the other two :oops:) going Multi way back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
but for the hardcore PS3/DMC fan (I am a DMC fan by the way), I could understand their frustration (if indeed DMC4 ends up being worse than it would have been as an exclusive).

As expected as it's been, it's still sad and ridiculous at the same time to see how suddenly DMC4 becomes 'downgraded' just because it's no longer a PS3 exclusive.

Not to mention how some people believe it to be a fact that a game just has to be better on the PS3 then it can ever possibly be on the X360.

As expected as it's been, it's still sad and ridiculous at the same time to see how suddenly DMC4 becomes 'downgraded' just because it's no longer a PS3 exclusive.

Not to mention how some people believe it to be a fact that a game just has to be better on the PS3 then it can ever possibly be on the X360.

Hey, I totally agree.

Architecturally speaking though, I do feel that the SPEs have gameplay-enhancing potential above and beyond that of the XeCPU, but DMC4 was never going to be that game.

(I feel I have to say something pro-PS3 at this point since I've effectively been pro-multiconsole all thread long! :p )

"Also what about the lack of online for some multi-plat titles on the PS3?

Why pay more for less? Why even pay more for exactly the same?

well at the same time there is online for the PS3 version, where it isn't for 360 (FN3). You can turn it every way. But that's rather OT here ;)

"If your thinking Ridge Racer, Fight Night or Oblivion...

No, actually i thought of Blazing Angels and Virtua Tennis (+ Oblivion) !

So the number is 5 now :)

swanlee said:
. I've yet to see a multi-plat title that came out on both consoles at the same time that didn't have visual or frame rate issues reported on the PS3 version compared to the 360.

Virtua Tennis? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony invented a new timed exclusive deal. The exclusivity ends before the game's release.

It's not like we haven't seen that before! UT2007, Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries 2 to name a few...

I heard it refered to as a marketing exclusive before, I think that's a good way to describe it. It certainly does happen.

I love not only being right, but being in the minority at first. It's like a challenging game: frustrating at first, but oh so enjoyable when you win. :LOL:

I look forward to playing mgs4, err FF, err ... DMC4 on my xb360. ;)

Balance. :cool:
I do have to say that is the best part of the news for me and I'm sure for others who have been teased or flamed both here or elsewhere for even suggesting something like this would happen.

Hey, I totally agree.

Doesn't look like that;

Architecturally speaking though, I do feel that the SPEs have gameplay-enhancing potential above and beyond that of the XeCPU, but DMC4 was never going to be that game.

Just how do you know? What if the truth is actually more like, PS3 is hard to develop for, the SPEs have to spend a lot of time helping out RSX, and so on?

So far, there's nothing to support the claim that PS3 has that huge real-life superiority over the X360. So why do we have to assume that there just has to be some huge untapped potential there?

As one who said I anticipated more variety on PS3, it was because of Sony's first-party titles rather than 3rd party exclusivity. Plus the argument wasn't so much more variety, but guarenteed variety. Buying XB360 early on, you had (and still have) no idea what range of titles its going to see. You could be sure of Katamari on PS3, but was Katamari destined for XB360? That was very much an unknown. PS3 was set to inherit PS1 and PS2's diversity, so it was a safe bet for those wanting that diversity of software. XB360 may still showcase a massive variety, but it wasn't a sure-thing back then, and importantly, it's diversity isn't likely to be any better than PS3's because 3rd parties are likely to go cross-platform as everyone was saying.

And they were thinking against the consensus because of a biased view. There was no reason for these games to stay exclusive (ignoring GTA which is already cross-platform, and RE which not only is cross-platform but also was announced for next-gen consoles)

As always in conversations such as these, time will tell.

Personally, I'm of the belief that in the end, xb360 will have a larger library than ps3. Based mostly on price (and time on market and relatively equal hardware).

A kid is more likely to get a $200 Christmas gift than a $400 one. This kid is also more likely to get a platformer, quirky, fun game than a M rated shooter. In the end the kid will likely end up getting GTA on Wii, but that's besides the point. :p

I think xb360 represents the middle ground this gen as ps2 did last gen. Last gen you could find everything from God of War with sex scenes to Disney platformers for 6 year olds. xb360 has done a good job filling out the upper end of this spectrum and has Rare doing their best to fill in the lower end of the age bracket.

Sony has done (and seems to currently be doing) a good job at providing a balanced library as well, but I think poorish software sales at the lower end of the age bracket will be the result of the high msrp. I think this will impact software plans for ps3 for 3rd party devs.

IMO ;)

Doesn't look like that;

Where does it not look like that? I've spent the entirety of this thread stating that a multiplatform DMC4 does not mean a quality reduction for the title on the PS3. Have you interpreted things differently?

Just how do you know? What if the truth is actually more like, PS3 is hard to develop for, the SPEs have to spend a lot of time helping out RSX, and so on?

So far, there's nothing to support the claim that PS3 has that huge real-life superiority over the X360. So why do we have to assume that there just has to be some huge untapped potential there?

Laa-Yosh, sometimes I think you stir the pot just to stir it; as someone in the industry I feel you should know better than to ask questions like this. There's not a single developer on this board - PS3 or 360 - that will speak against the Cell's advantage over the XeCPU in areas such as physics... to take an arbitrary example. Now... I *know* that you read the threads in which these things get discussed, so if you wish to discuss them, I'd be happy to point you towards some active discussion on the matter where I'm sure you'd be welcome to weigh in with your insights, rather than your raising doubts in threads where those debating are often ill-equipped to counter you. ;)

For my own part, I of course speak to developers (for both consoles) behind the scenes... so I feel comfortable in my Cell-centric fanboysim vis a vis the XeCPU.

"well at the same time there is online for the PS3 version, where it isn't for 360 (FN3)"

Huh? I've player FN3 online for the 360, got my butt whipped cause I suck at heymakers but I played online quite a bit.

Where does it not look like that? I've spent the entirety of this thread stating that a multiplatform DMC4 does not mean a quality reduction for the title on the PS3. Have you interpreted things differently?

Laa-Yosh, sometimes I think you stir the pot just to stir it; as someone in the industry I feel you should know better than to ask questions like this. There's not a single developer on this board - PS3 or 360 - that will speak against the Cell's advantage over the XeCPU in areas such as physics, for an arbitrary example. Now... I *know* that you read the threads in which these things get discussed, so if you wish to discuss them, I'd be happy to point you towards some active discussion on the matter at this very moment where I'm sure you'd be welcome to weigh in with your insights. ;)

I recognize the superiority of Cell. I think Devs will eventually get that juice out of the chip as well. However, I do not think this will materialize into a tangible difference in-game. As a dev put it some time ago:
You would be hardpressed this gen to point to a game video this gen and say it's a PS3 or XB360 game just from looking at the content of the video.

/off topic

I recognize the superiority of Cell. I think Devs will eventually get that juice out of the chip as well. However, I do not think this will materialize into a tangible difference in-game. As a dev put it some time ago:
You would be hardpressed this gen to point to a game video this gen and say it's a PS3 or XB360 game just from looking at the content of the video.

/off topic

Chef, I think there will be videos by gen's end that will allow you to differentiate between the two. And for the record, I think those videos will highlight the more impressive aspects of the 360 over the PS3 at times as well (there's more to the consoles than their CPUs afterall, and 360 does have advantages I'll readily acknowledge)

Back