Devil May Cry 4 Going Multi-platform! (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) *Confirmed

It's not. I just don't want to waste $600 and i want my console to be exploited to the fullest. I want sony to fulfill thier promises on great graphics, sound, and revolutionary gameplay. I want my moneys worth. That's not so much to ask.
Thats a very weird attitude considering you apparently are an early adaptor. If you are so keen on getting your moneys worth you should`nt bought it until a few pricereductions and after the exclusive games you expect are out or even on platinum-series.
Its general consens now that 3rd-party exclusives are dimishing, we might see a few "comebacks" after the Consoles have a much larger installed base.

Consoles rarely are even on exclusives. Many a PS2 exclusive didn't exploit the hardware very well.
And you're getting whatever the software companies produce for it. Sony can't control them. 3rd parties can and do produce weak engines, for exclusives and multiplatform. Hopefully Capcom's middleware has a lot of effort put into it, and uses the different platforms well.

Seriously, you're totally overreacting. Sony never promised PS3 would have the most exclusive games. They've given you the hardware you bought. If you bought it for software reasons, you bought on your own beliefs in the platforms rather than any promises.

I bought it for the potenial it has. But anyway, as i said earlier i'll have to wait to see how things will play out. which i'm very bad at doing.

Lol, not to be teh bearer of more bad news DD, but this was posted recently:

Boris Schneider-Johne, Xbox Product Manager of Microsoft Germany, today hints at his blog, called dreisechtig.net (German for threesixty), that Devil May Cry 4 may only be the first of three exclusive PS3-games coming also to Xbox 360.

On his blog, he posted the following phrase:

"One down, two to go"

Followed by the names of three games: Devil May Cry (striked), Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

It is unknown if this is only a personal wish of Schneider-Johne, or that maybe Microsoft has more surprise for us coming soon. But now Devil May Cry 4 has made the final step, nothing seems to be unthinkable anymore.
http://www.n4g.com/NewsCom-30603.aspx

Wow scoob, yea, as i said, it's denial to think that those CAN't happen. As to if they will? time will tell.

As for DMC4 though.... wow, looking pretty good so far :oops:

I find it interesting that people are now concerned that it won't reach its full potential when during GDC and the trailer everyone petty much thought this was the tits. :p

Well, that's not bad news or anything else - it's just he sees plainly what I also see to be the "Big 3" Japanese-developed exclusives for PS3 right now. In fact, if anything I feel vindicated that my worldview is shared by those who would seek to implement it. ;)

But I think these two will be demonstrably harder to secure for MS (though again, not out of reach).

"Bad for Sony perhaps, but not for you the cosnumer, as no options have been removed from your plate."

What about the fact that nearly all multi-plat titles so far have looked and ran better on the 360? Also what about better online options or actual online options like how VT3 was not online at all for the PS3?
If all titles are going to be pretty multi-plat PS3 owner are getting stuck paying more and to this point getting less of a game that looks and runs worse than the 360 version.

"Bad for Sony perhaps, but not for you the cosnumer, as no options have been removed from your plate."

What about the fact that nearly all multi-plat titles so far have looked and ran better on the 360? Also what about better online options or actual online options like how VT3 was not online at all for the PS3?
If all titles are going to be pretty multi-plat PS3 owner are getting stuck paying more and to this point getting less of a game that looks and runs worse than the 360 version.

Well, "what if" indeed? But I stand by my statement. In fact if the PS3 version looks worse than the 360 version, I will contend that the PS3 version looks as it would have looked anyway, and it was simply easier for the devs to tweak a little and derive greater PQ out of the 360. Seeing as how the Framework engine is well suited to such, hey...

So to me, again... PS3 owners don't suffer. And if the 360 version looks better? Well - I'll say that's great, now there is a better looking version of the game than there otherwise would have been period; and that's simply a positive from a 'history of gaming' standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, "what if" indeed? But I stand by my statement. In fact if the PS3 version looks worse than the 360 version, I will contend that the PS3 version looks as it would have looked anyway, and it was simply easier for the devs to twak a little and derive greater PQ out of the 360. Seeing as how the Framework engine is well suited to such, hey...

So to me, again... PS3 owners don't suffer. And if the 360 version looks better? Well - I'll say that great, now there is a better looking version of the game than there otherwise would have been period; and that's simply a positive from a 'history of gaming' standpoint.

you magnanimous bastard, you. :D

Well, "what if" indeed? But I stand by my statement. In fact if the PS3 version looks worse than the 360 version, I will contend that the PS3 version looks as it would have looked anyway, and it was simply easier for the devs to twak a little and derive greater PQ out of the 360. Seeing as how the Framework engine is well suited to such, hey...

Hmm, I think this is a fairly nonsensical position. If the majority of games are using XNA as the lead platform (which according to MS 75% are), then surely the PS3 version will not be as optimized as it could be if PS3 was the base platform.

I think Swanlee makes a very valid point that can't be discounted so easily. PS3 owners certainly do suffer as a result of 3rd party exclusives switching to 360 as their lead platform.

Just as Xbox owners suffered from the countless PS2 ports last generation...

I think Swanlee makes a very valid point that can't be discounted so easily. PS3 owners certainly do suffer as a result of 3rd party exclusives switching to 360 as their lead platform.

most particularly swanlee is correct regarding the online for MP titles (ATM). Hopefully for PS3 owners, that will change soon.

Hmm, I think this is a fairly nonsensical position. If the majority of games are using XNA as the lead platform (which according to MS 75% are), then surely the PS3 version will not be as optimized as it could be if PS3 was the base platform.

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

XNA is not the "lead" platform here in and of itself - it is a Framework based game, and the way that engine is structured is independent of the platform. The fact is though, that that engine was built around the XeCPU and PC multicore as the baseline - so the entirety of the technology favors those platforms to begin with, rather than an active choice to target XNA needing to be made. Even if DMC4 was a PS3 exclusive, thus would it still be in terms of the engine's focus that it was based upon R&D for XeCPU and x86.

Maybe Capcom would have taken strong control of the SPEs if it wasn't multiplatform - but until now we've had no such indication save for some see-through boasting on their parts. I've always viewed this game as a multi-platformer in exclusive clothing.

And if I'm wrong I'm wrong. For me it's all good, because I still wouldn't care - but for the hardcore PS3/DMC fan (I am a DMC fan by the way), I could understand their frustration (if indeed DMC4 ends up being worse than it would have been as an exclusive). But frankly Capcom expanding their cash position and profitability is ultimately better for everyone, as I do feel that some of the chances they've taken on the 360 will come back to benefit the PS3 as well. They're expanding into some new IPs at least, they seem to be good ones, and I hope to play them eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I can think of at least 3 (big) titles where it's the other way round - so "fact" is a little bit off here"

Which titles would those be?

If your thinking Ridge Racer, Fight Night or Oblivion those all had nearly an extra year of dev time on them. I've yet to see a multi-plat title that came out on both consoles at the same time that didn't have visual or frame rate issues reported on the PS3 version compared to the 360.

Also what about the lack of online for some multi-plat titles on the PS3?

Why pay more for less? Why even pay more for exactly the same?

Why pay more for less? Why even pay more for exactly the same?
Because that paying more also gets you a BRD player, Linux, yada-yada. If you only want to play games, and don't care for Sony's exclusives, there's no point buying a PS3. That situation hasn't changed since PS3 launched, or probably even before then. Anyone expecting PS3 to get loads of 3rd party exclusives was expecting against the tide of opinion.

Anyone expecting PS3 to get loads of 3rd party exclusives was expecting against the tide of opinion.

agreed

go back to E3 of '05 even and you would have seen this being repeated again and again. "3rd parties will not stay exclusive nearly as much this new gen".

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

XNA is not the "lead" platform here in and of itself - it is a Framework based game, and the way that engine is structured is independent of the platform. The fact is though, that that engine was built around the XeCPU and PC multicore as the baseline - so the entirety of the technology favors those platforms to begin with, rather than an active choice to target XNA needing to be made. Even if DMC4 was a PS3 exclusive, thus would it still be in terms of the engine's focus that it was based upon R&D for XeCPU and x86.

In this specific case you could be right, but in general there is no doubt that the overall quality of games for PS3 wil suffer due to the high number of games not only going multiplatform, but using 360 as the lead platform.

In this specific case you could be right, but in general there is no doubt that the overall quality of games for PS3 wil suffer due to the high number of games not only going multiplatform, but using 360 as the lead platform.

And this case is all I'm talking about.

No doubt that GTA4, everything out of EA, Activision, etc etc... will suffer for having been multiconsole. But DMC4 'suffers' right out the gate due to the engine. :) And by the way I'm in it for the technology, so I want it known that I think the Framework engine and it's approach are great, even if it favors the 'opposition' console.

Anyway I do think it's important that Sony continue pushing dollars into R&D and tools though; turn-key accessibility to the SPEs is absolutely the most crucial service they can provide themselves, rather than using those dollars to secure exclsives. If they make SPE utilization easy/simple enough, then ports will begin increasingly to utilize them, and by doing so help to act as a de facto differentiator for the PS3 versions of the games. Not saying better per se, but different, and different counts for something.

Anyone expecting PS3 to get loads of 3rd party exclusives was expecting against the tide of opinion.

ehh ... not to sure about that. Some of us shared this opinion while others on this very site predicted ps3 to be the place to find "variety" (aka 3rd party exclusives ala ps2). I saw the exact opposite being true this gen specifically based on msrp as it limits the demographic of the machine to those that can afford it. This puts the artsy/expiremental/quirky games on the back-burner or on other platforms entirely.

DMC does not fall into this category, but I think more than a few PS fanboys were not expecting the likes of DMC, VF, Ace Combat, GTA, and RE to go to the xbox, but they did/are.

As for me:

I love not only being right, but being in the minority at first. It's like a challenging game: frustrating at first, but oh so enjoyable when you win. :LOL:

I look forward to playing mgs4, err FF, err ... DMC4 on my xb360. ;)

Balance. :cool:

Back