Ace Combat 6 for Xbox 360 ? *confirmed* *rules: post #111

you can't really get that close without dieing. The demo's pretty fun but I need to practice more.

The graphics are like a hi-def rogue squadron. I don't know how to compare it to the last games in the series. I thought the intro movie in the beginning of the mission was CG but then I saw wheel jaggies. Most of the level is forest, city, or ocean and the buildings and forest are 3D but some of the textures in the city are blurry if you're able to get close enough.

The demo looks great apart for one "tiny" detail. The water looks great, but it's not even animated! It just seems to be a texture with some bump mapping, nothing else. Small disappointment on an otherwise fantastic demo. I hope they fix that on the retail version, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lovely demo. Small file size too, which is a great little bonus for those of us with download limits.

As someone who has never played an AC game before, I was utterly lost and confused and achieved nothing other than a quick scout of the game :cry:

The demo looks great apart for one "tiny" detail. The water looks great, but it's not even animated! It just seems to be a texture with some bump mapping, nothing else. Small disappointment on an otherwise fantastic demo. I hope they fix that on the retail version, but I'm not holding my breath.

Water is a perfomance killer (adds many extra rendering passes to obtain effect) in these types of games especially if it is going to reflect the sorroundings.

Water is a perfomance killer (adds many extra rendering passes to obtain effect) in these types of games especially if it is going to reflect the sorroundings.

um i don't know if uve played the game, but the water is completely static. we're not asking for any amazing reflections, just some small level of animation. if lair can have it so can we (and lair has a lot more in the area)

As someone who has never played an AC game before, I was utterly lost and confused and achieved nothing other than a quick scout of the game :cry:
It was fairly intuitive for a flying game but the only odd thing was the special weapon where you could lock onto many enemies. It really used the controller well.

well it's definitely going to be a pretty looking game but unfourtunately just like pakotlar I was lost and confused with the demo. can veteran ace combat players tell us how this game compares to previous versions in term of game mechanics /controls ?

Last edited by a moderator:
well it's definitely going to be a pretty looking game but unfourtunately just like pakotlar I was lost and confused with the demo. can veteran ace combat players tell us how this game compares to previous versions in term of game mechanics /controls ?

I'm not lost or confused hey! I actually thought it was quite cool and easy to play.

I got the hang of it after a couple tries. Plays really well. I managed to make it to the first cutscene after you spend forever and a day blowing up all the enemies (not too difficult). Unfortunately I panicked when I heard all the missiles coming and proceeded to hurl my jet right into the ground :LOL:

I got the hang of it after a couple tries. Plays really well. I managed to make it to the first cutscene after you spend forever and a day blowing up all the enemies (not too difficult). Unfortunately I panicked when I heard all the missiles coming and proceeded to hurl my jet right into the ground :LOL:

Not sure if the game is that accurate, but IRL you want to climb against missiles. Most missiles only burn for a couple seconds and then they start losing speed pretty quickly. A modern plan can usually outclimb the missile, while a dive only gives the missile more energy.

Btw, if you dive low enough it looks like the pixels on the water are larger than the plane... It looks great at more than a few hundred feet, but at 50 it is downright laughable.

Don't worry... After that point, you are ordered to escape to the west, which is the end of the demo.

Not too many demos make me go 'wow' out loud, but the opening sequence did. Except the close self shadows on the planes (which could be fixed...), it looks really fantastic. Lighting is top notch

Wow I must say that fighter plane in the demo carried quite an impressive payload of missiles :LOL:
I tried it on novice and it was pretty fun, although the eneny planes seemed to destroy really easily, even with the machine gun, it felt like one bullet made them explode.

Not sure if the game is that accurate, but IRL you want to climb against missiles. Most missiles only burn for a couple seconds and then they start losing speed pretty quickly. A modern plan can usually outclimb the missile, while a dive only gives the missile more energy.
These weren't plain missiles that enemy jets fire at you. This was after the cutscene where cruise missiles are shot from some huge ship. I was close to the ground when the cutscene was over, heard all the missiles coming, and made a stupid maneuver causing me to eat dirt. I didn't know what was going on so I panicked, lol.

Btw, if you dive low enough it looks like the pixels on the water are larger than the plane... It looks great at more than a few hundred feet, but at 50 it is downright laughable.
The huge cruise missiles take out like half your allies/city but they don't actually target anybody.

I think it's possible to dodge missiles like how you described because I dodged a lot of missiles by boosting straight up. The plane physics are at least very good, when you do a dive straight down the nose starts pointing up because your wings are still generating lift.

new screenies

149278052620070831130131.jpg
42167941020070831130130.jpg
9964087420070831130131.jpg
181087420320070831130130.jpg

Back