SCE Joins Stanford's Folding@home Program (B3D ID=32377)

I leave mine on 24/7 as well, think I'm well into the 70's for number of work units! Bought Resistance, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer, Fight Night Round 3, Oblivion and every game from the store except Blast Factor. HDTV turns up next week along with home cinema kit.

Any idea what sort of speed improvement there is?

Ok, I downloaded the new revision and here's what I'm seeing.

First of all, zooming zooms further - closer to the planet (such that individual points of light can be made out in urban areas), and deeper within the proteins, such that you could encircle individual atomic bonds if you wished.

The speed improvement is frankly pretty impressive as well - look slike a realworld jump of 50% in applied FLOPS, with the average time to completion for these units dropping for me from 8 1/2 to 5 1/4 hours.

Impressive, and glad to see they're still working on this in the first place; I never really expected to see a version beyond 1.0 to begin with! ;)

The speed improvement is frankly pretty impressive as well - look slike a realworld jump of 50% in applied FLOPS, with the average time to completion for these units dropping for me from 8 1/2 to 5 1/4 hours.
Really?! :oops: I was expecting a small percentile improvement from a little tweak here and there. An actual improvement that large is very significant. They did mention that the current code was derived from the GPGPU work, and I guess there's a bit of room to refine it to more SPE orientated.

I guess the best place to see is in the Folding charts where an average PS3 figure can be derived and compared with the original.

First of all, zooming zooms further - closer to the planet (such that individual points of light can be made out in urban areas), and deeper within the proteins, such that you could encircle individual atomic bonds if you wished.

*laughs* It goes into a "Bullet-Time" like mode when you zoom in on the proteins. :D

As for the speed increase, the work unit I was on before the update had 7 1/2 hours left. It dropped to 4 1/2 after the update.

If you're presently in the middle of a unit, I believe you have to finish that one up before you have access to the new revision.

Shouldn't have to. I didn't, at least.

Well, then there ya go. I left last night, had a power outage came back today, and was set to download at the same time that my prior work unit had not yet uploaded... I had limited information with which to make a deduction! :)

Well, then there ya go. I left last night, had a power outage came back today, and was set to download at the same time that my prior work unit had not yet uploaded... I had limited information with which to make a deduction! :)

Well, I'm using limited information too! :p I don't think my work unit started over, but I didn't look that closely. I mainly looked at the remaining time, before and after, and laughed at the Bullet-Time protein sequence. :oops: And its too late for me to tell for certain now.

Yeah... mine shortened from 2hr+ (remaining time) to 1 hr+ but I was going to wait for a new molecule before concluding. Unfortunately I fell asleep when the new one started folding.

Yeah... mine shortened from 2hr+ (remaining time) to 1 hr+ but I was going to wait for a new molecule before concluding. Unfortunately I fell asleep when the new one started folding.

My new one that's a 500,000 WU is listed to take 5.5 hours to finish. Usually for me the 400,000 WU usually take 8.0-8.5 hours. So looks like their programming skills have went up a notch.

Are you sure they aren't just sending out smaller packets? Some time ago they said they were looking into sending packages that'd take less than 8 hours to compute.

Mine updated mid-work unit (an "old" one), and the processing speed is slightly faster (0.0736s/frame from 0.0766s/frame), but nothing hugely impressive.

That sounds more reasonable to me. Double the speed, or any large speed improvement, would have got more attention on the press release I think. Definitely have to wait on the flops listings.

BTW - is there any messaging service on PS3 to inform users of upgrades etc.? Something like this update will be announced to interested parties through the internet of course, but there ought to be news and announcement content on PS3 itself to inform people of system updates, software updates, patches, new features, upcoming peripherals, etc.

Well wouldn't smaller packets be associated with smaller sizes though? In terms of however many hundreds of thousands of whatever that unit is... in that regard they've remained the same thus far. It would seem strange that suddenly with 1.1, that's the delineator in terms of what size packet you get.

I admit I could be wrong on this though; I wish that my power hadn't gone out yesterday so I could have a better sense of what's what wrt visible changes.

I'm at .038s/frame though by the way; see what happens when you get a new packet Asher.

It would seem strange that suddenly with 1.1, that's the delineator in terms of what size packet you get.
I don't think it's that strange. Perhaps they've added new functionality to support new projects.

I admit I could be wrong on this though; I wish that my power hadn't gone out yesterday so I could have a better sense of what's what wrt visible changes.

I'm at .038s/frame though by the way; see what happens when you get a new packet Asher.
Then is it possible they're sending out new projects that rely on lower resolution data (and thus faster processing)?

The ultimate benchmark for this is going to be seconds per frame, unless the resolution is going to differ between each packet.

BTW - is there any messaging service on PS3 to inform users of upgrades etc.? Something like this update will be announced to interested parties through the internet of course, but there ought to be news and announcement content on PS3 itself to inform people of system updates, software updates, patches, new features, upcoming peripherals, etc.

A crude looking message pops up at the top right of the screen to notify you of firmware updates. Program updates, like this one, vary from app to app. For Folding, as soon as you start the program it checks for an update and notfies you (actually, it forces you to install it for F@H).

The ultimate benchmark for this is going to be seconds per frame, unless the resolution is going to differ between each packet.
The only meaningful benchmark is points per day averaged over a reasonable timespan. The points are calibrated by Stanford, and since everyone's PS3 is "identical" in computing power, you can be sure that the points will be an accurate reflection of improved code.

Jawed

A crude looking message pops up at the top right of the screen to notify you of firmware updates.
Well IMO it could do with a swish broadcast of important and worthy info. It's free advertising for Sony!
(actually, it forces you to install it for F@H).
That's good news. That means every PS3 working has the update, which means FP performance improvements will be reflected absolutely in the scores at Stanford when the average includesonly updated work. Any ideas when this will occur? Active PS3's return units in 5 days, so by then, all active PS3's will be updated. That should mean by this time next week, we get an average 1.1's performance. At the moment, from the current snapshot, PS3 is at 13 GFlops a unit (380 TFs / 29k PS3s). We should also see that average creeping up noticeably if performance has received a large boost.

Shoot. I am stucked with "Upload to server failed" messages with my last work unit. So I can't validate any of the numbers people reported.

EDIT: Hmm... according to the Stanford Folding site, their network is experiencing difficulties now :)

EDIT 2: Ok... the servers're up again. I have one of the supervillin work units (About 8 hr 15 min). So it seems to be the same package size but they sped it up a little. It's 0.0740s/frame compared to 0.0766s - 0.0786s/frame previously.

EDIT 3: This is confusing. I just downloaded a new work unit (p2562_dpdpll_amber96), which is about 5 hr 20 min compared to 9 hr+ (for p2558_dpdpll_amber96) in my post here. Some of the perceived improvements are probably due to the nature of the tasks involved.

They might have similar names but are in fact doing very different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back