IBM to make a new desktop GPU in Q2 not NV35

ben6

Regular
Michael Hara, has said that theyre building something at ibm what that is he dednt say not NV35 which he named by name

The technology conference held today was interesting. Some highlights

1.Interestingly, NVIDIA's market share #s for Q1 03 released by Mercury Research yesterday show a flat to 1% market share growth by NVIDIA.
2.To the topic, Mike was asked when they'd start utilizing IBM. he said Q2 calendar year for a unannounced desktop GPU. He did say that it was not NV35 , but whether it's the next generation or something else, he didn't want to specify
3. XBox margins are increasing

http://webcast.on24.com/clients/merrill/conference_030429/submit.html?presenter=nvidiacorp

It's being archived right now

I believe that when the announcement came out announcing IBM & Nvidia, that it was stated that IBM would manufacture a high-end GPU, which would mean NV40, as NV36 would be mainstream level.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5052
Update: With further news reports coming with comments such as "[IBM will] manufacture a high-end graphics chip for Nvidia Corp" and "[NVIDIA] said the chip in question will be an updated version of its GeForce FX graphics chip line" it would indeed point to NV35 being produced by IBM.

EDIT: Bad Dave! Bad! Damn, didn't even realize immediatly the NV39 was a joke, LOL!

-----------

Woah, NV39 now? Eh...

Okay, so let me get this straight...
The following GPUs have become/will be available in 2003 from nVidia:
- NV30 ( TSMC )
- NV31 ( TSMC )
- NV33 ( TSMC ) ( Uncertain - might have been replaced by another product or canned - I'd be surprised if it was canned, though )
- NV34 ( TSMC )
- NV35 ( TSMC )
- NV36 ( TSMC )
- NV39 ( IBM ) ( if it isn't a joke by Dave )
- NV40 ( IBM )

The following chipsets will become available in 2003 from nVidia:

- nForce 2 400 ( note: rather identical to nForce 2 )
- nForce 3 Pro ( for Opteron )
- nForce 3 ( for Athlon 64 )

Is it just me or is nVidia in some type of frenzy or something? Wanna bet their R&D costs for the 2003 year are gonna make you say something like "Woah! I couldn't even burn that much money in a year if I wanted to!" :D

BTW, I'm still wondering what the NV33 truly is. The 2x1 rumors for low-end mobiles & things like Tablet PCs make sense, but there was no other source for that than xbitlabs. The reason it would have been delayed would be that the NV30 was too power-frenzy. So they wanted to base it on the NV35, on which they would have had time to tweak some things to reduce power usage.

Heck, reducing power usage & heat probably were major goals for the NV35. Heck, it's rumored to run at 450/450 without anything like FlowFX.
I'm ready to bet the NV36 will be a much better mobile part than the NV35.

Uttar

NVIDIA has never ended a chip designation with 9 there was no released NV9 , NV19, NV29 . Not to say that they might not exist , but it doesn't fit their pattern.

ben6 said:
NVIDIA has never ended a chip designation with 9 there was no released NV9 , NV19, NV29 . Not to say that they might not exist , but it doesn't fit their pattern.
That's too bad... I bet that NV69 would be a very popular chip among certain demographic groups :D

There some interresting statements in that CC, eg.

"NV30 was somehow underressourced. That underressourced that features .. to be left out to make schedule

The took of 200 engineers from pc busniess to finish Xbox ...

Heathen said:
- NV40 ( IBM )

Where do you get the idea from that the NV40 will be out this year?

From my source? ;)
Trust me, my source is a lot more reliable than Dave's NV39 joke, hehe.
Launch at Comdex, avaibility before year end ( although what level of avaibility, I've got no idea. )
Remember though that's nVidia's current plan. Well it seems they're slowly beggining to be able to respect them again, the "avaibility at year end" part sounds very ambitious to me.

Uttar

Well it seems they're slowly beggining to be able to respect them again, the "avaibility at year end" part sounds very ambitious to me.

Well N30 was supposedly at the end of last year. Beginning of May and I've seen one NV30 for sale, not one model. Just one.

But hey if NV40 solves allthe problems with the 30 and gives IQ at least as good as the R300 I'll convert back to Nvidiaism. :D

well thats because they did not plan to manufactur a lot of NV30s.
Makes no sense to manufactur lot of NV30s when the next chip is around the corner.
NV30 was delayed a lot. NV35 too because of NV30 but not that much. That's why the timeframe between both is pretty short.
When NV35 is launched no one will buy a NV30. From a company perspective it makes sense to keep that supply short when you have such a small timeframe.

FUDie said:
That's too bad... I bet that NV69 would be a very popular chip among certain demographic groups :D
Well, yeah, especially now that they have multiple Dawn's on screen at once....

Don't Ask said:
I remember sony and IBM talking about a pc version of their ps2 graphics chip a year or 2 ago
if they had put one out, even 1 year ago, i would have /laughnpoint'd at them

Back