First Colin McRae: Dirt Preview(Xbox360)

Funny fact: the DIRT CG trailer has been produced by the same guys, at the same studio somewhere in the UK, that created a quite well known trailer about two years ago... Kinda ironic :)
Pretty nice video by the way.

Funny fact: the DIRT CG trailer has been produced by the same guys, at the same studio somewhere in the UK, that created a quite well known trailer about two years ago... Kinda ironic :)

Does it start with a K or an M? It sure looks very similar in style to the M one. It even ends up with a crash :LOL:

Interesting Laa-Yosh.

Can you find out what assets were used to create the video? (In-game models?, textures?, etc)

They've used a lot of ingame assets; actually the scene with mutiple cars is using physics from the game engine too as I've heard.

Jaggy mess with bad framerate and mediocre graphics at best is what first comes to mind after seeing that video. Quite underwhelming.

It's not that bad. Aliasing is noticable and so is screen tearing, but it's still a good looking game.
But after so positive previews I expected Dirt to kick Forza 2's and Motorstorm's asses, So I'm a bit disappointed too.

Huh? I saw the trailor with actual gameplay this morning different from the CG one and it looks amazing.
I feel bad for you guys if you are so jaded you don't think it looks and moves well. The physics are amazing. This is one game I'll be playing a lot.

This gen has yielded some games that are the best of genre I've ever played and Dirt looks like it will be the same for Rally\Off-road games for me.

The video is up...
Kinda dissapointing. The framerate (of the video at least) is very choppy, and things really don't look that sharp or move that well... :???:

Isn't the Neon engine the one where they cooperated closely with SCEE to create an engine that makes the most of PS3 and still supposed to run 'decent' on PC and 360 as well? :LOL:

Don't get me wrong, parts look really good. But something about the framerate just isn't right. It feels sluggish. I'm expecting it's the video though.

The bigger problem for me is the cars just don't look to move quite right. It's always something with mcrae games... Usually subtle. You know it looks wrong but can't place it. I'm getting that feeling with this video. Mcrae in 2004 (?) gave me this feeling the least.

Looks good to me, I'll DL it on Marketplace later and compare to the lower quality vid on Xboxyde.

I agree with that, but the xboxyde video didn't seem to have any framerate issues.. and it looks damn good so I don't know what some people are bitching about.

Isn't the Neon engine the one where they cooperated closely with SCEE to create an engine that makes the most of PS3 and still supposed to run 'decent' on PC and 360 as well? :LOL:
Hahaha?

Recent previews were from 360 version and every single one said that framerate is not an issue. Maybe it'll be video encoding.

But I have to say it's too bad DICE doesn't make rally games no longer. Hopefully MS will finally add RSC2 to backwards compatibility list so that we can finally play this beautiful game in upscaled 720p (and it'll kick Dirt and Motorstorm arses ;)).

The bigger problem for me is the cars just don't look to move quite right. It's always something with mcrae games... Usually subtle. You know it looks wrong but can't place it. I'm getting that feeling with this video. Mcrae in 2004 (?) gave me this feeling the least.
McRae cars always turned on their "centre of mass" - it was as if someone had stuck a giant toothpick through the roof and out the floor and was twiddling the car left and right as it went through the corners - with the four wheels' friction having basically nothing to do with the car's behaviour.

The thing that bugs me about car games is that the cars don't even drive right when you pootle along at 30mph.

Jawed

McRae cars always turned on their "centre of mass" - it was as if someone had stuck a giant toothpick through the roof and out the floor and was twiddling the car left and right as it went through the corners - with the four wheels' friction having basically nothing to do with the car's behaviour.

Well said. It sucks.

The thing that bugs me about car games that are not, say, Gran Turismo, GTR2 or Live4Speed is that the cars don't even drive right when you pootle along at 30mph.

Fixed? At least GT:HD makes me very happy in terms of driving realism. Suspension has improved further and the grip simulation and car-balance, areas where it had some weaknesses left (especially in some cars like the MX-5 and Evo IV), have been almost completely fixed. The only thing I'm now still wondering about is braking - I would like to have a car with no ABS lock up more noticeably and leave a tire mark.

My thoughts are that the pictures look great/fantastic, but after I've seen the video I'm not wowed anymore. Probably also because of the video quality.

...Fixed?...

Actually, add PGR3, TDU, and Forza to that list as well. ;)

I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm curious now what it really looks like and if the frame rate really will be an issue in the final game. :???:

Hopefully this game doesn't have the toothpick control as Jawed alluded to though.

If not, it looks like xb360 gamers will be "stuck" with only: Burnout 5, Sega Rally, Forza2, and PGR4 this year. :cry:

Haha. I was going to say exactly that, but I couldn't think of a simple way to describe it. Well done :)
However the later games did improve a lot more. They still felt wrong though. Just not so much.
Emulation not Simulation.

I just viewed the RT trailer on xboxyde and while I wouldn't call the frame rate "butter" all the time yet, I would say the framerate doesn't look as bad as I thought judging from the responses here. I think it's close enough to assume a rock solid 30fps is achievable in the final version a few months from now.

As for the steering: I'd say it looks fairly realistic given the surfaces the cars are on and the speed which they are traveling on these surfaces. I'll have to take a look at how they did on the asphalt sections to fairly judge them.

Back