*PS3 On an LCD Monitor? NEED HELP BADLY!*

Well, in Linux you can use 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA = ps3videomode -v 13) which is a 16:10 format.

As for 720p, 1080i and 1080p are concerned it's a question of how your display handles those resolutions.

*scares that i will get stretched 16:9 pic on 16:10 screen*

:devilish:

so if the monitor letterboxes it, it means you will get 1280 x 720 for 720p??? yeah???

also, what do you get if you let ps3 do the maths for you (aka auto setting :LOL:)

XCM Mega Cool VGA BOX is the solution!

In very short.
If I were you,

I would get a nice component cable for SONY PS3, most probably the official ps3 component cables from sony. Others work fine too. Like this component av cable for ps3 here.

Then I would look for a solution to this on youtube, just to see if someone has posted something.

And voila, I would have come up with this video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/mJj1E0FWXMc

After looking at that. I would have looked at the cheapest option available.

And then after lot of searching and researching, I would have no other option but to place an
order for the most wonderful thing ever made in the field of gaming for people like us who cannot
afford an HDTV - An XCM MEGA COOL VGA BOX!

Yes, I have already looked around the internet a lot for a solution to the issue you are having and
was left with nothing better than this.

I recently placed an order for an XCM MEGA COOL VGA BOX from play-asia. And I am sure I have made the right decision. Looking at that video, I know I can't be wrong.

All the best mate.

I've been looking into HDMI to DVI stuff as well for my screen and learned that HDCP as a standard is required for HDMI and optional for DVI, so some DVI screens have HDCP and some don't. It's really annoying but that's the way it is. By the way, if you have a HDMI to DVI cable what do you use for sound?

I've been looking into HDMI to DVI stuff as well for my screen and learned that HDCP as a standard is required for HDMI and optional for DVI, so some DVI screens have HDCP and some don't. It's really annoying but that's the way it is. By the way, if you have a HDMI to DVI cable what do you use for sound?
Cinch from the MultiAV -> Composite Cable... or optical.

Whats quite bad is that there are alot of Monitors with a HDMI-Port and supporting HDCP only on the DVI-Port (my Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM is one of them). Pissed me off when I found this out.

PS. the "OtherOS" quite possible aint requiring HDCP, but everything else does.

If the end result is that you can make a 1:1 copy of any movie out there, does it really matter?

Yes it does, the biggest problem for DVD piracy was unauthorized pressed DVD's made by manufacturing equipment purchased by pirates. BD manufacturing is much more tightly controlled and there's a BD-ROM mark identifying where each BD disc was made, so the extent of piracy with BD's only extends to digital distribution, aka torrents. This is still bad, but not as bad as people selling $1 DVD's at 34th street subway station.

thanks very much for the help.

however, i just realized that the cable i had was not component, it was audio/video. I only ever use the hdmi to my hdtv so i forgot what it was.

So am I going to need to get something that can take the audiovideo cable? or am I going to have to buy a component cable as well as that box.

I was hoping that this would be pretty cheap, a simple cable or adapter, but I dont think its going go turn out that way.

No, your monitor should support HDCP, just get a cheap hdmi/dvi cable and be done with it.

*Facepalm* I should really start looking at the date on messages. Luckily I got an answer to my question though so, something good came out of it :D

Will I be needing a special cable to use it with an old and ordinary, non-optical, amp?

I would like to connect my PS3 to my HP lp3065 thought there seems to be an issue either with the hdcp or the necessary connection requirements (given that the monitor is dual link DVI). I would really appreciate some advice here as I cannot seem to get around the problem myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2888

We do need to insert one word of caution for people considering any new graphics card with the intention of using it for viewing HDCP content. If you have a display that requires a dual-link DVI connection, you're going to run into some problems. Basically, HDCP was architected to only support single-link connections, so you are going to be limited to viewing content at a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. What's worse is that as we understand it, HDCP is not supported over a dual-link connection at all, so if you have something like a 30" LCD and you want to view HDCP content, you will need to use a single-link cable. Welcome to the bleeding edge....

Some forum posts claim that lp3065 supports HDCP. Does a single-link cable work for you ?

I doubt it. Best way is to hook it up and try :)
That anandtech article says max res for single link is 1920x1080. If the monitor has another limit, then you may be out of luck.

Yes a single link cable will work though only in the resolution 1280x800 (given there is no internal scalar and only a pixel doubling method). Though is it possible to output with this resolution on the PS3??

The PS3 will output 1280x720. But that should work in theory, depending on the screen. If it supports DHCP though, it would be very strange if it didn't also support a 1280x720 input.

The PS3 will output 1280x720. But that should work in theory, depending on the screen. If it supports DHCP though, it would be very strange if it didn't also support a 1280x720 input.

Will not work. Given that the monitor supports no inherent scaler is will not scale anything other than a 1280x800 or 2560x1600 signal. Other resolutions must be done via an outside device (video card, scaler, etc). If I could natively set my PS3 to 1280x800 this would work although I dont believe this is possible.

Thanks for the help.

Compared to your monitor without a built in scaler, I came across a chart of relative input lag from AT, with "0" being the HP L3065.

21430.png

I came across this thread after trying the exact same thing as the OP.

I too have a Dell 1907FP
I too have a PS3 that I wanted to hook up to that monitor
I bought a HMDI->DVI adapter.

When the PS3 turned on (after resetting the display setting on the PS3) the light came green on the monitor but nothing was displayed.

going into the monitor's menu, it showed at the bottom that thecurrent resolution was at 720x480, next to it was the optimum resolution of the monitor: 1280x1024.

After reading the monitor's specs, I realized that the monitor supported only the resolution of 720x400 and not 720x480. Needless to say it had no scaler at all.

bottom line: That particular LCD monitor DOES NOT work with PS3. AT ALL.

End of story.

Back