Indication that PS3 is getting vibration

Just pointing out the PSINext podcast had a Motorstorm developer Simon Benson for an interview (you can find the thread here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=39480 ). He hinted that there would be announcements soon on the subject and that they are working with Logitech. Maybe a new wheel? And/or a patch for the older wheels.

PS3 hardware + GOW3 + Sixaxis + Rumble(if done right) = *nerdgasm*

Its almost given that a sequel is coming(the whole trilogy comments, 2nd's cliffhanger ending, etc), though we probably wont see it for another 2-3 years.

Thats ok though. By then, the santa monica team will have better knowledge of the hardware the same way they did on PS2 :smile:

By the time I get a PS3 (if I ever get one) it will hopefully be packaged with SiAxShock3000. Months ago Sony claimed that rumble was unnecessary and some fans defended the decision, even though we all knew that it was a result of litigation not innovation. I don't nececessarily love rumble but I'm used to it and it truly enhances a game when used correctly (Kojima, microphones/ Windwaker, fishing).

Sheeeet!!! I think God of War is the next game I will buy. (Yes part one, it must be like 15$ by now).

Personally I don't really care for rumble, but my tune might chance depending on how the whole 'next gen rumble' works out, if they even go that route. Reading about it, it sounds pretty interesting. But for now, I care much more about racing wheel FFB than rumble personally.

Is it possible to do joystick/flightstick like Force Feedback in the thumbsticks? I think that would be much cooler than rumble. No matter how "next-gen" they say buzz buzz is.

I mean, shouldn't it be possible by now? I mean FF is like years old tech. Maybe use like magnets or something...

I do't care about rumble, I switch back and forth between the 360 and PS3 and don't notice it other than the SixAxis batteries last longer. I'm more exceited about GOW3. :smile:

I thought Sony said rumble was a "last gen" feature?
To be precise, Phil Harrison said that in comparison to motion sensing, and he actually still thinks so, not that hard to believe if you think about it. Watch the 1Up interview, they pressed him on that.

Yeah... I totally forgot about rumble while playing Resistance, MotorStorm... although I kinda missed it somewhat the first time I played the WarHawk demo.

I think the difference is the WarHawk demo didn't give me any strong feedback (visual or audio) that I was getting hit... whereas in Resistance and MotorStorm, the grunts/moans, splatter, bangs, etc. let me know very quickly that I'm in trouble.

As for next-gen "rumble": http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=939799&postcount=50
If it's from the same people and technology that brought us "texture feel" on the Internet, then I am curious to try it out on Playstation Home or even LittleBigPlanet.

This is pure speculation. Don't quote me. May not happen or may be too gimmicky ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Sony said rumble was a "last gen" feature?

Well, it sort of is...

I'd be a little disappointed if all they added back was simple rumble... now if they added some sort of force feedback system that offers more than just wiggles we've had for years, then I'm all for it -- hopefully the deal Sony went into after the lawsuit involved more complex offerings than simple spinning motors again.

As it stands, I can't say I've missed rumble at all, so adding it back isn't all that exciting, unless it's better than before. I'd rather they just skip adding it back if it's the same stuff we have in 360, PS2, Xbox1, PS1, etc.

I don't miss rumble either - in most games (like Gran Turismo, by the way), the audio feedback is much better (the stereo sound of hitting a rumble strip in GT4 is very good). But I do think some kind of vibration or force feedback would be a great compliment to the motion controls, so that you can feel when you hit or touch something for instance, while waving something around.

Well, it sort of is...

I'd be a little disappointed if all they added back was simple rumble... now if they added some sort of force feedback system that offers more than just wiggles we've had for years, then I'm all for it -- hopefully the deal Sony went into after the lawsuit involved more complex offerings than simple spinning motors again.

They should just go after whatever new tech immersion has developed(or developing). I don't care if rumble is there or not, but I agree they need to move beyond rumble.

I think that's the expectation based on hints. The new solution is supposed to be a lot more controllable and variable than 'last gen' rumbling motors.

If it isn't true force feedback.. it is (and always will be) crap. (all IMHO of course)

I mean someone has to be able to stuff the required electronics in a small enough package to fit the SIXAXIS.

Back