Daylight savings time weirdness.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Just a couple of three quotes from a thread I started at EB that explained a lot to me:

digitalwanderer said:
My PC clocks didn't adjust themselves this time, they've ALWAYS done so in the past. :?

Not just my PC, every one in the house didn't. (Well, haven't checked the laptop yet...but all 4 desktops!)

It just struck me as weird, anyone else not have it update itself?
Jollemi said:
You can blame your government for that as well :)

Starting in 2007, most of the United States and Canada observe DST from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, shifting clocks typically at 02:00 local time. The 2007 U.S. change was part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005; previously, from 1987 through 2006, the start and end dates were the first Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October, and Congress retains the right to go back to the previous dates once an energy consumption study is done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#When_it_starts_and_stops
wazman said:
Here's some information that might actually be helpful. My systems changed properly, but this patch should help if they don't.
There was a smart-arsed comment from Hanners too, but that ain't really relevant...
bleh2.gif

Everything here worked fine and changed accordingly. The only oddity I had was having to power cycle my HDHomeRun unit; it couldn't be found on the network without one.

That's pretty much the smart-arsed comment from Hanners I didn't find worth mentioning.... :oops:

It's not my fault, windows update just doesn't like FireFox and I refuse to use IE!

The DST changes were a huge pain in the ass at work. 3000+ clients had to be updated with many of them running 95 and 98. MS only put out patches for newer versions of Windows so it was a bunch of reg hacking a scripting to get ready. Outlook calendars and things links palm software also needed to be updated.

I'm surprised that more systems didn't have problems with the changes.

I turn off damn near everything that calls home on Windows and hope that ZoneAlarm block the rest, I HATE stuff like that.

I've got some weirdness in timestamps on emails (Outlook 2003) but that's about it.

My computer jumped forward two hours. That's because I dual-boot and first XP moved forward one hour, and later Vista pushed it forward another hour. I didn't realize it had happened until later when I noticed it seemed to be surprisingly late, but then I found the computer clock was one hour ahead of all other clocks I had (which I had adjusted manually).

Timing of the DST was exceptionally poor this year since I returned from San Francisco on Saturday evening, so the 3 hours timezone change was extended to a 4 hour difference by DST. :|

Back