Intel Price drop coming and future roadmap

Hurt your competition while their down. This will certainly put pressure on AMD to lower their own prices, during a period where they need more cash flow.

epic

What happened to code-name "Penryn" or is that further out?

It's great to see quad-core coming to the masses (in terms of price-tag); I don't think many of the enthusiasts will go for the higher stock-FSB chips only because of the HUGE requirements it will place on the motherboards for big overclocks.

However, along those same lines, I think we'll see more "inexpensive" system boards supporting 1333FSB. That's a GREAT thing for people who want to OC on a limited budget: FSB Pintrick + E4300 (or future equivalent) + 1333mhz "stock" board = warp speed on nickels and dimes!

Hurt your competition while their down. This will certainly put pressure on AMD to lower their own prices, during a period where they need more cash flow.

epic

I remember when everybody on the internet used to root for AMD. Now everybody hates them..

I remember when everybody on the internet used to root for AMD. Now everybody hates them..

It used to be that AMD had better performing processors for less money.

Give us that back, and we'll go back to rooting :)

What happened to code-name "Penryn" or is that further out?

Penryn is the laptop version of Wolfdale and is still on schedule as far as I'm aware. The real interesting processors will be Bloomfield and Nehalem which are supposed to be redesigned 45nm Kentsfields in 08 with a new verion of hyperthreading, extra cache and an onboard memory controller; they will also move to Socket B (1366).

I think I'll finally upgrade to the E6600 or Q6600 when the prices drop and get one of the new 1333MHz supporting motherboards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely agreed with ANova and Skyring -- I want one of those Q6600's later this year! Crysis upgrade in FULL EFFECT :devilish: ;)

ANova -- thanks for getting me straightened out on the Penryn core. I was pretty sure it was coming, but just couldn't remember that tidbit.

Penryn is the laptop version of Wolfdale and is still on schedule as far as I'm aware. The real interesting processors will be Bloomfield and Nehalem which are supposed to be redesigned 45nm Kentsfields in 08 with a new verion of hyperthreading, extra cache and an onboard memory controller; they will also move to Socket B (1366).

I think I'll finally upgrade to the E6600 or Q6600 when the prices drop and get one of the new 1333MHz supporting motherboards.

think you have some things mixed up.

Kentsfield is two Conroe architecture based Processors, Nehalem is an architecture redesign scheduled for 2008 and should be a bit of a departure from Conroe if not a complete break. Nehalem should also be bringing the first single die quad core processors which Conroe/Penryn wont be doing, so saying its redesigned anything doesnt really make much sense to me. Also if memory serves me Intel said they wouldnt be releasing mainstream processors with onboard memory controllers until around 2010.

The other thing is technically 975, 965 and the 680i chipsets can officially/unofficially support a 1333 FSB Strap, i know ABIT has been including the option in their beta bios for the better part of 4 months, so comically enough it looks like Intel is going to be Intel and problably declare you need a new motherboard/chipset to support the new processors, deja vu 925X and 925XE.

think you have some things mixed up.

Kentsfield is two Conroe architecture based Processors, Nehalem is an architecture redesign scheduled for 2008 and should be a bit of a departure from Conroe if not a complete break. Nehalem should also be bringing the first single die quad core processors which Conroe/Penryn wont be doing, so saying its redesigned anything doesnt really make much sense to me. Also if memory serves me Intel said they wouldnt be releasing mainstream processors with onboard memory controllers until around 2010.

The other thing is technically 975, 965 and the 680i chipsets can officially/unofficially support a 1333 FSB Strap, i know ABIT has been including the option in their beta bios for the better part of 4 months, so comically enough it looks like Intel is going to be Intel and problably declare you need a new motherboard/chipset to support the new processors, deja vu 925X and 925XE.

You're right I meant to say they will be a loosely redesigned Yorkfield. Intel likes to change codenames on the fly but so far it's as follows:

Kentsfield: 65nm, quad core, 2 x 4MB cache, 1066 MHz fsb, LGA775
Yorkfield: 45nm, quad core, 8MB shared cache, 1333 MHz fsb, LGA775
Nehalem: 45nm, quad core, 8-12MB shared cache, integrated memory controller, common systems serial interconnect (CSI), SSE4, application targetted accelerators (new hyperthreading), socket B (LGA1366)

Nehalem will almost certainly require a new chipset. Rumors have been flying around for awhile that Intel would finally incorporate an integrated memory controller for 08.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right I meant to say they will be a loosely redesigned Yorkfield. Intel likes to change codenames on the fly but so far it's as follows:

Kentsfield: 65nm, quad core, 2 x 4MB cache, 1066 MHz fsb, LGA775
Yorkfield: 45nm, quad core, 8MB shared cache, 1333 MHz fsb, LGA775
Nehalem: 45nm, quad core, 8-12MB shared cache, integrated memory controller, common systems serial interconnect (CSI), SSE4, application targetted accelerators (new hyperthreading), socket B (LGA1366)

Nehalem will almost certainly require a new chipset. Rumors have been flying around for awhile that Intel would finally incorporate an integrated memory controller for 08.

I dont doubt an integrated memory controller for server chips, mostly to help solve some of the issues FB-DIMMs have, but i dont think its going to make it into the mainstream desktop processors. Problably will be a new socket (think thats what you ment instead of chipset, intel likes releasing one of those every 6-8 months) though.

Back