When people say "it's a high res version of last gen game X"

Rangers

Legend
Keep this in mind:

halo2200703070444481810gs3.jpg

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/804/804393/img_4379417.html

This is Halo 2 in high res (the PC version).

Yeah, next gen is sometimes a bit underappreciated.

While I completely agree with your point, I am actually a bit surprised as to how good halo 2 is holding up. I thought it would turn out looking a lot more dated than it actually does.

While I completely agree with your point, I am actually a bit surprised as to how good halo 2 is holding up. I thought it would turn out looking a lot more dated than it actually does.
Isn't it a DirectX10 game? In other words, not a hi-res Xbox game contrary to the subject of this thread.

It's not DirectX10, just Vista-only.

So far, nothing has really been touched asset-wise. Some skyboxes have been re-rendered, but besides that, it's really just higher resolution, AA, filtering, constant cinematic-level LOD, and so on. At least, that was the state of/plans for it some time ago (and i don't see any change with the latest footage and such)

In any case, the effect is better if you look at the pictures side-by-side, for any game.

Of course, there's no doubt an argument brewing already as to what constitutes "higher res", ranging from just rendering at a higher resolution, to high-res assets with the same engine/effects, then to something beyond that....

Well, this looks kinda good IMO. On the other hand PC version of RE4 looks like crap. [and it has keyboard only controls...]

To me, if I said "it's just a higher res last gen game," I think I'd be referring to assets including polygon counts and texture resolution mainly. If the lighting and shadowing and other post processing effects are the same, to me, it's just a sequel/prequel that could have been done on older hardware with higher speeds and memory; an example is switching between low settings and Holy Sh|t settings in UT2004. So there is nothing really groundbreaking about the new title on next-gen hardware versus previous-gen hardware, in that regard.

That's not to say it isn't nice or good or can be applied generally. There is just not a huge 'wow' factor with respect to graphics, but there are other factors to take into account too. Suppose the developers go with a crazy large environment with at least an order of magnitude increase in objects being displayed...
So far, nothing has really been touched asset-wise. Some skyboxes have been re-rendered, but besides that, it's really just higher resolution, AA, filtering, constant cinematic-level LOD, and so on. At least, that was the state of/plans for it some time ago (and i don't see any change with the latest footage and such)

There was talk of weapon textures being redone and blood spatter, but I think that was it. From playing at CES, it appeared that they got rid of the 30fps limit and also got rid of jittery animation that was evident in Halo PC.

I think for character models, the textures really do hold up fairly well all considering. Probably the biggest enhancement is the removal of LOD, so every object is clear no matter the distance. Halo 2 itself can be quite a nice looking game with respect to variety in colour palettes (from cold steel interiors to a desert town to a forest to lakes etc).

It's shaping up to be a port 'done right' except for the Vista requirement (IMO). I mean... if people aren't going to even get a Gold Membership, there doesn't seem to be anything that really requires Vista. Though I suppose the online game browser and the interface is tied into Live...

Anyhoo :p

Well, this looks kinda good IMO. On the other hand PC version of RE4 looks like crap. [and it has keyboard only controls...]

Not exactly true, RE4 works just fine with a gamepad and also mods have already or are going to fix both of the other issues.

As for Halo 2, its certainly not impressive looking at all. The game would be much more in place graphics wise when around the first Halo was released for PC, maybe before that even to be honest. It does not require DirectX 10, it is a DirectX 9 game (which even then it really would not require that) and is simply Vista only as MS needs something to at least try to push Vista.

Keep this in mind:

This is Halo 2 in high res (the PC version).

Yeah, next gen is sometimes a bit underappreciated.

i don't see what is wrong with Halo Vista. At least they are making it available to non xbox/xbox 360 console owners including those honourable people :devilish:, i would even thank if this game is DX9.0c based. (from what i heard)

In case any1 would like to see that level in motion.
Im disapointed by the serious low polygon count used in the level. The map structure is so simple they could have used some more on those palm trees.
Lack of shadows, grenade explosions could have been improved to look better. Its work in progress so maybe things will improve a little.

In case any1 would like to see that level in motion.
Im disapointed by the serious low polygon count used in the level. The map structure is so simple they could have used some more on those palm trees.
Lack of shadows, grenade explosions could have been improved to look better. Its work in progress so maybe things will improve a little.

You realize this is going to pretty much be an exact port of the xbox title with only minimal upgrades, correct.

I may be wrong but I wouldnt expect too much above what you are currently seeing.

Wait so what was the purpose of this thread? Im kind of confused with all the discussions going on, etc... :oops:

If I understood correctly the purpose was to show that statements like Halo3 looking like Halo2 on steroids are false and that this high res image of Halo2 is far from having any similarity in quality to Halo3

Was Halo2 60fps on the Xbox?

I assume Halo2 is 60fps on the PC?

I imagine that actually playing the game in motion at 60fps, with hire-res rendering it would feel quite a bit different.

In static screen shots, the fact that the game does not have fancy shader and lighting effects is really going to stand out.

But in motion that stuff is less important. Halo2 already has good animation and decent Havok physics.

That is what impressed me about Ridge Racer 6/7 the solid 60fps framerate, with clear high-res graphics. That game was also missing fancy shading and lighting, but even without them, the framerate made a real different.

I feel the same way about GT:Demo. The assests may be from GT4, but the 1080p rendering and 60fps makes it the best looking PS3 game so far in my opinion. Stuff like Motorstorm, PGR3 and Test Drive don't hold a candle to the one track GT:Demo.

It is a same this gen is going to be all about shader effects to the deteriment of framerate.

@Nick Laslett

PCs don't get set frame rates it will run as fast, or slow, as the computer will render it

But in motion that stuff is less important. Halo2 already has good animation and decent Havok physics.

which can be true in some case, but the features you mention were dated, compared to some PC games of the time, when the game came out on the xbox

@Nick Laslett

PCs don't get set frame rates it will run as fast, or slow, as the computer will render it

which can be true in some case, but the features you mention were dated, compared to some PC games of the time, when the game came out on the xbox

Im expecting a solid 75fps with vsync at 1360x768 with 16xCSAA and 16xQAF.

Dated graphics or not this game is gonna be a blast at those settings :D

Im expecting a solid 75fps with vsync at 1360x768 with 16xCSAA and 16xQAF.

Dated graphics or not this game is gonna be a blast at those settings :D

Whatever the case, I hope they put emphasis on optimization, because i'd hate to see another "oblivion" (aka high end rigs getting pwnt ftl).

Back