Miyamoto's GDC Keynote

Don't expect to hear much of anything new out of him or any other Nintendo rep at GDC.

They're under gag because the Bank of Japan is selling its shares. The BOJ bought 2 million shares of Nintendo back in 2002 in order to keep the share price from collapsing, along with purchasing shares of Honda and several other companies.

Now that the TSE is at a 15 year high or something like that, the BOJ is divesting during the March 6-8th period. So because of that, Nintendo is forbidden from talking much at GDC. Once the moratorium has passed, I think 1-2 weeks, you'll hear stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
117338476502.jpg

Mario Galaxy :)

Don't expect to hear much of anything new out of him or any other Nintendo rep at GDC.

They're under gag because the Bank of Japan is selling its shares. The BOJ bought 2 million shares of Nintendo back in 2002 in order to keep it from collapsing, along with purchasing shares of Honda and several other companies.

Now that the TSE is at a 15 year high or something like that, the BOJ is divesting during the March 6-8th period. So because of that, Nintendo is forbidden from talking much at GDC. Once the moratorium has passed, I think 1-2 weeks, you'll hear stuff.

Wonderful observation. The offering ends tomorrow...I think. Shutting up (for now) is a good strategy for NIN but the reason there doing it leaves alot to be desired.

I read the keynote but I failed to spot anything new. Did I miss something? Myiamoto just talked about his wife, gaming interests, showed mario galaxy and thats it? :???:

I read the keynote but I failed to spot anything new. Did I miss something? Myiamoto just talked about his wife, gaming interests, showed mario galaxy and thats it? :???:

Read Natoma's post. It seems they are being extremely careful not to reveal anything that could affect the stock price.

They're under gag because the Bank of Japan is selling its shares. The BOJ bought 2 million shares of Nintendo back in 2002 in order to keep it from collapsing, along with purchasing shares of Honda and several other companies.

I doubt that Nintendo would of collapsed, but it would made (and is now) a lot of investors thinner in the pockets. It was a step to protect investors and the market and not Nintendo. Shares of a lot of companies were bought by Banks Shareholdings Purchase Corporation through the Bank of Japan in 2002 to prevent whole sale liquidation as banks were forced to end the practice of cross shareholding with clients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read Natoma's post. It seems they are being extremely careful not to reveal anything that could affect the stock price.

Wouldnt it be better if they announce something that might increase the price? Or atleast investor expectations?

I doubt that Nintendo would of collapsed, but it would made (and is now) a lot of investors thinner in the pockets. It was a step to protect investors and the market and not Nintendo. Shares of a lot of companies were bought by Banks Shareholdings Purchase Corporation through the Bank of Japan in 2002 to prevent whole sale liquidation as banks were forced to end the practice of cross shareholding with clients.

Not the company. The stock. Sorry for the confusion.

The stock was around $8 (ADR price), and falling fast, when the BOJ stepped in.

Is it just me or does Mario Galaxy look like something beyond the Gamecube's capabilities? I don't know, but it looks really slick to me. It's nice to see something a little more "conventional" for mario here (ie. more reminscent of Mario 64).

Is it just me or does Mario Galaxy look like something beyond the Gamecube's capabilities? I don't know, but it looks really slick to me. It's nice to see something a little more "conventional" for mario here (ie. more reminscent of Mario 64).

Yes, but it does not look like anything beyond 2 gamecubes. I say we will see much better graphics out of the wii yet. But this does look absolutely fantastic for 1st gen software.

edit: I guess this is 2nd gen software.

I don't think I'd classify it as 2nd gen software. It's been in the works since well before the Wii was debuted. I think 2nd gen software is software that is started after the console is launched. That's usually when devs have a greater opportunity to use lessons learned in the development of a game.

SMG is probably near completion right now since it's supposed to launch in the fall.

I watched the video and it moved.

It.

So I'm clearly excited not only on a mental level, but a biological one as well. This must be what "next-gen" feels like.

Back